Artery disease in ancient Egypt

Closed Thread
Old 03-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Sage
Default Artery disease in ancient Egypt

Interesting findings concerning ancients and arteries..... Some might not be interested, but the story got my attention. The human body and how it functions is complex, but each day, more and more is discovered.

Hardening of the arteries common in ancient mummies - The Washington Post
Old 03-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Platinum member

Most interesting. Thanks, pooh!
Old 03-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Interesting findings concerning ancients and arteries..... Some might not be interested, but the story got my attention. The human body and how it functions is complex, but each day, more and more is discovered.

Hardening of the arteries common in ancient mummies - The Washington Post
I suppose a lot of people will use this information to prove: "See, it doesn't matter what you eat, arterial disease is just a normal function of aging."
However, not all people ate the same thousands of years ago, just as not all people eat the same today. And not all people lived stress-free lives.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:17 PM
Sage

People might surmise that, VPL, but the study hasn't really proved that at this time. Maybe further investigation will help to confirm or disprove what was seen as a valid conclusion or not.

Still, it is kind of interesting that the ancients secrets aren't so secret...
Old 03-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
People might surmise that, VPL, but the study hasn't really proved that at this time. Maybe further investigation will help to confirm or disprove what was seen as a valid conclusion or not.

Still, it is kind of interesting that the ancients secrets aren't so secret...
If I'm not mistaken, the question is: Does diet have anything to do with coronary artery disease. If that's the question, the answer is a definite "yes".
That's because it's well known that there are diets that can reverse coronary artery disease.

There are at least two or three authors that I know of that have written books on this subject. It's nothing new and I even know someone who tried it and it worked very well. The first time I heard about it was about 35 years ago.

In addition to diet, it's helpful to get some exercise and practice stress control.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the question is: Does diet have anything to do with coronary artery disease. If that's the question, the answer is a definite "yes".
That's because it's well known that there are diets that can reverse coronary artery disease.

There are at least two or three authors that I know of that have written books on this subject. It's nothing new and I even know someone who tried it and it worked very well. The first time I heard about it was about 35 years ago.

In addition to diet, it's helpful to get some exercise and practice stress control.
so we conclude there has not been much progress on this problem over the past 4-5000 years?

btk
Old 03-13-2013, 06:22 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-31-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
so we conclude there has not been much progress on this problem over the past 4-5000 years?

btk
I'm not really sure how much progress we have made, if any. A lot of eating habits are based on emotions and tradition rather than science. And it's likely that our emotions have not changed much.

I eat a diet largely based on science and it's not uncommon for me to get ridiculed because of it, even though I enjoy it. But perhaps the ridiculing says more about the person doing the ridiculing than it says about me. I think it says that they are trying to defend some things about their diet that they know are wrong. (Not talking about you, just talking about people in general.)

What has changed for the better is science. People believe in science when it comes to getting bypass operations and such but they don't believe in science when it comes to diet. When it comes to diet, they cling to anecdotes exclusively. They cherry pick anecdotes to prove their point.

Last edited by Villages PL; 03-13-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I'm not really sure how much progress we have made, if any. A lot of eating habits are based on emotions and tradition rather than science. And it's likely that our emotions have not changed much.

I eat a diet largely based on science and it's not uncommon for me to get ridiculed because of it, even though I enjoy it. But perhaps the ridiculing says more about the person doing the ridiculing than it says about me. I think it says that they are trying to defend some things about their diet that they know are wrong. (Not talking about you, just talking about people in general.)

What has changed for the better is science. People believe in science when it comes to getting bypass operations and such but they don't believe in science when it comes to diet. When it comes to diet, they cling to anecdotes. They cherry pick the anecdotes that prove their point.
Most people don't discuss their diet much with others, or their health habits either. We are indeed blessed in this country to be able to provide ourselves with choices in food. There are many who must survive on what they can find to keep body and soul together.

I don't think anyone would say much to you about your diet, VillagesPl if you weren't so ...um...excited about it.

I have learned that some people do NOT want to hear anymore about my grandchildren. I can just tell by their somewhat polite responses, their lack of enthusiasm and some just walk away.

Silly them.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:24 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Pharaohs tried to get their countrymen to stop the big gulps but.....................
Old 03-13-2013, 07:17 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Pharaohs tried to get their countrymen to stop the big gulps but.....................
Ha! Thanks for the reminder. I have a "big gulp" post that needs posting on another board. Non-villages board: "New York City/ Rights without responsibility" Look for it.....coming soon to a board near you.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:43 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-31-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:41 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Most people don't discuss their diet much with others, or their health habits either. We are indeed blessed in this country to be able to provide ourselves with choices in food. There are many who must survive on what they can find to keep body and soul together.

I don't think anyone would say much to you about your diet, VillagesPl if you weren't so ...um...excited about it.

I have learned that some people do NOT want to hear anymore about my grandchildren. I can just tell by their somewhat polite responses, their lack of enthusiasm and some just walk away.

Silly them.
Sure, I can understand why people would get bored listening to talk about grandchildren. What's the point? What is one to do with that information? We already know that everyone is proud of their grandchildren and thinks they are the cutest and smartest.

That's why we don't have a board on this website devoted to talking about grandchildren. At least I hope we don't.

As far as diet and health, we do have a board for "Medical and Health Discussion". And the purpose is to learn and exchange ideas. And anyone who's not interested can visit other threads or boards.

I think you must be very interested and excited about diet too because you always participate.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:21 PM
Veteran member
Default Great Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL

What has changed for the better is science. People believe in science when it comes to getting bypass operations and such but they don't believe in science when it comes to diet. When it comes to diet, they cling to anecdotes exclusively. They cherry pick anecdotes to prove their point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
Would you care to share a typical day's meal plan (that you yourself consume)???

It might help others to "get" what you are preaching about.

Just list the food items you enjoy at breakfast time, lunchtime and suppertime.......and any in between meal snacks.....or evening snacks such as fruit, nuts, etc.

Thanks........and by the way, you have to realize that most people who respond to you ARE interested but also are coming from their own reality and their own general life experience. Not everyone seeks , or even thinks about, surviving to age 100. We all have to go from something. Death is not to be feared as it's just a new beginning.

Also, modern day elders cannot , in any way, shape or form, be compared to the prehistoric elders (who died in their 20's and 30's).

Enjoy today as none of us know if we will have a tomorrow.
Don't nitpick the small things but enjoy all the blessings you do have.
That's my motto.

Also, being patient with others who have different ideas and opinions is a plus in my book. Don't dwell on what everyone else is doing..........just go about your own life quietly and if people say, "WOW, is he or she (we still don't know which you are) a nice individual; a kind individual......that just about says it all." Not, "Oh, how skinny they are; they must eat seeds and nuts and never partake of a whopper".

Very well said senior citizen......

Old 03-21-2013, 10:04 PM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-31-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.