Ask Your Doctor

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2023, 12:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
The current political disagreement about permitting ANY foreigners into the U.S. will be self-defeating. What we should be doing is recruiting all those new graduates with Masters and PhD’s and MD degrees, offering them a real fast track to citizenship.

Because the U.S. birth rate has been so low for decades, we are desperately short of young people to enter the work force to replace the aging population who are no longer working. Our problem is exacerbated by our lagging education system, compared to many other developed countries.

The ONLY solution to our problem of having far more jobs than people to perform them is to permit foreigner to enter the U.S. to work. The key to that strategy is to recruit those who are experienced and educated to do the jobs we need performed! That would include all those talented, experienced, hard working Philippine nurses that we’re currently keeping out of the U.S.

can you elaborate on how this thesis impacts the private insurance reimbursement payments continually going down for hospitals while the insurance companies have record profits and bonuses?

Surely as an investor, you are on the side of the insurance companies' profits are more important than hospital reimbursement payments for the insureds' needs. .
Old 02-23-2023, 12:31 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,960 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Those who think it's only low Medicare payments that are the problem are waaay off base.

Most private insurance companies have lowered their payments to near Medicare rates...
Thanks for your inside and experience as a Dr but so many seem to know or offer more opinions with no experience.
Old 02-23-2023, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Possible solution - how about taking the excessive salaries of the Insurance Companies CEOs and overpaid staff and splitting that up among the young Doctors and nurses to encourage them to work in Fl hospitals and other states where needed? US society deserves better than the current situation.

This idea worked once, with Mother Theresa. Not any supporters since then.
Old 02-23-2023, 04:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Those who think it's only low Medicare payments that are the problem are waaay off base.

Most private insurance companies have lowered their payments to near Medicare rates...
My daughter, who works for a large for-profit hospital corporation in claim collection, would agree with you. She says the only way some hospitals are able to keep their doors open are the $ they collect from Medicare, as private insurance often no longer pays at a better rate than does the government. Also, Medicare pays on time, whereas the insurance companies delay payment. Aetna is especially difficult.
Old 02-24-2023, 03:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,245 Times in 4,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
Thanks for your inside and experience as a Dr but so many seem to know or offer more opinions with no experience.
The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 02-24-2023, 07:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
I try to make it a point to stay up-to-date on the status of healthcare here in The Villages by asking my doctors or other healthcare providers.

Today I asked one of my doctors.about the status of the announced plan to make The Villages Regional Hospital a teaching hospital, training 24 new residents per year, beginning in 2024. It turns out that plan has been either tabled or scrapped altogether. UF Health has been unable to attract enough doctors and nurses to the area to operate the hospital, let alone train residents. They have had an ongoing national recruiting campaign for over a year, with almost no results. The responses to the recruiting campaign has been that younger doctors and those with school-age families don’t want to relocate to central Florida or The Villages.

But the biggest news from the docs was that UFHealth has withdrawn from the partnership with The Villages developer to build a larger teaching hospital in the south end of The Villages. It’s obvious that if the existing hospitals can’t be properly staffed, it would make little sense to build another even larger hospital in the same service area. The developer has begun to approach national chains to build the new hospital. But the national chains are likely to be aware of potential problems attracting enough doctors and nurses to staff a larger, new hospital.

I was left wondering, if UFHealth can’t properly staff The Villages Regional Hospital, how much longer will they remain committed to it’s ownership?

Don’t ever expect to read any of this in The Villages Daily Sun. Ask your doctors!
Yet every Tuesday the Daily Fun runs a section touting the Villages as Florida’s healthiest hometown. If the reasoning behind the argument was because of the residents living a active lifestyle incorporating many health activities, I’ll buy that. But touting the excellent healthcare in the area is nothing more than an insult to the intelligence of the papers readers.
Old 02-24-2023, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
The WHOLE HEALTHCARE problem could be easily solved by National Health Care like all the OTHER CIVILIZED countries in Europe and Asia. But, then the POOR Insurance executives would be forced to live in poverty........at a lowly $300,000 per year
I disagree with the idea of National Health Care Is needed here. With over 30 years as a health care provider I feel qualified to comment. My son and his wife both are physicians in Canada, both at the top of their specialties. Both out of training for about 15 years. Over the many years I have had the discussion of our medial system vs the National Health Care in Canada. As of now both, my son and his wife believe their health care system is beginning to fall apart. The over all percentage of medical care in the budget in Canada is ever increasing. It seems the politicians there are faced with raising taxes or cut services to pay for it all. To shorten this note there has been a very gradual cut in services and medical reimbursement not coming close to the no cost of living. Some procedures I think are being reimbursed at 2017 rates. To me it sounds as if their National Health Care system is starting to rupture. To compound this situation the pandemic has cut deep into Doctors/Nurses and support staff in their community. So for me we have our issues here in the United States, but it is a very big NO to National Health Care.
Closed Thread

Tags
hospital, villages, doctors, staff, can’t

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.