Assisted living recommendations

Closed Thread
Old 06-04-2019, 04:40 PM
Default Assisted living recommendations

Now that we have settled into The Villages I'm looking to move my mom into an assisted living facility in the local area. If any of you have had any experience, good or bad, that you could share, it would be appreciated.

I'm looking to narrow my search. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,419 Times in 5,109 Posts

I would visit Freedom Point (expensive), Elan (brand new), and Sumter Grand. I have seen them all, and they seem to be acceptable.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:05 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

Call Amy, she is the best.

Tri-County Caregiver Resource Center
Old 06-04-2019, 07:08 PM
Veteran member

Buffalo Crossing on 466 by Walmart. My mom was there and she was happy. I volunteer there now since my mom went to heaven.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:24 AM

A second for Buffalo Crossings. My Dad is there and likes it very much. I visited every place in the area and narrowed it down to Buffalo, Elan Buena Vista and Sumter. Dad liked Buffalo best. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:38 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

I am a former Assisted Living Administrator. While I appreciate people have great reviews of different Assisted Living places, you need to go check them out yourself, and you need to decide what defines "best" for you or your loved one. Do you click with the administrator, are they accessible and have an open door policy? What is the staff turnover? Have you eaten a few meals there at different times and asked about menu flexibility and any time dining? How often does the bus take people to appointments, shopping, outings? How many hours of nursing a day? What are the different prices on apartments and is there a move in fee (negotiate always on move in fee)? Read the reviews by ACHA on inspections and complaints. Talk to other residents and family members. What are the levels of care, how much do they increase, how often are increases, and what is included in basic rate? Until what stage of need can I or my loved one stay there? Do they take Medicaid when the money runs out? Look at the weekly activity schedules over a few months, they can provide them as they are required to keep them on file for a period of time. Do ALL these things before you make a decision.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:23 PM
Sage

I agree, about visiting facilities first before making a selection. You might look into Trinity Springs on 103 behind the WalMart on 466. It's brand new, very beautiful as well as faith-based BUT anyone can apply to live there. I've also heard good things re: the one on 466/Buena Vista as well.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:11 PM

You have provided excellent information. All of the points you mentioned are critical when selecting "home" for life for you or your loved one.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
Call Amy, she is the best.

Tri-County Caregiver Resource Center
I did not have a good experience with Amy. She did not return phone calls and never showed up when she made a plan for my husband.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 06-06-2019, 06:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
I am a former Assisted Living Administrator. While I appreciate people have great reviews of different Assisted Living places, you need to go check them out yourself, and you need to decide what defines "best" for you or your loved one. Do you click with the administrator, are they accessible and have an open door policy? What is the staff turnover? Have you eaten a few meals there at different times and asked about menu flexibility and any time dining? How often does the bus take people to appointments, shopping, outings? How many hours of nursing a day? What are the different prices on apartments and is there a move in fee (negotiate always on move in fee)? Read the reviews by ACHA on inspections and complaints. Talk to other residents and family members. What are the levels of care, how much do they increase, how often are increases, and what is included in basic rate? Until what stage of need can I or my loved one stay there? Do they take Medicaid when the money runs out? Look at the weekly activity schedules over a few months, they can provide them as they are required to keep them on file for a period of time. Do ALL these things before you make a decision.
Thank you very much...for the great 'inside' advice.

I am sending this to my children, who occasionally mention when feeling mischievous that..."don't forget, we're going to be selecting your assisted living residence."
Old 06-06-2019, 04:12 PM

Thanks to all for sharing. This is a big decision for us. We moved to the villages to improve our overall quality of life and now we need to see if we can do the same for my mom.

Thanks again to all...
Old 06-06-2019, 05:29 PM
Sage

Do yourself a favor and contact Lisa Honka 352-446-5749. She is in the business of helping people make a choice. She knows all the assisted living places and people who work there. Her services are paid for by the community so it won't cost you anything. The best part is she can negotiate you a much better deal than you could yourself. I didn't know these prices could be negotiated until she helped me get my wife into memory care and got the price down $1125 per month locked in 2 years. It won't cost you a dime and you couldn't be happier with her service.

Tags
assisted, living, share, bad, search

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.