Do you like Medicare?

Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2019, 09:07 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts
Default Do you like Medicare?

PLEASE don't make this political. I'm watching the Democratic debate on healthcare. Many want Medicare for all. I had healthcare covered by my company (large company) which included prescription drugs, vision and dental. Cost was relatively low. I'm now on Medicare. I prefer my company's healthcare! The dental was better, vision was better, and I paid less for some prescription drugs.
I'm curious... are you happier on Medicare? (Is your Medicare supplemented by a company?). Or would you prefer to be on your employer's healthcare plan?
Can we please have an intelligent, non-political discussion on this?
Old 07-30-2019, 09:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

I have regular Medicare with BCBS supplement. This, after a corporate medical plan. I found a few insignificant trade offs, but I do like Medicare overall. I suspect part of the experience might be what someone’s portion of the payment would be under a corporate plan, what kind of health issues they may be experiencing, etc. so far, it’s worked for me, and everyone I’ve worked with accepts the plans I have.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:23 PM
Veteran member

I consider myself lucky that hubby still works full-time and we get insurance from his job, as I do NOT want to go on Medicare.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Medicare (regular, not Advantage) pay about 80% of covered expenses and don't most people buy supplemental coverage AND drug coverage in addition to paying their monthly premium to the govt? Assuming that is accurate, when these people talk about "Medicare for All" are they talking about a plan where everybody pays $140 (or whatever the current monthly premium is) for 80% coverage AND then either pay the 20% balance plus drug costs out of pocket OR are they using "Medicare for All" as a euphemism for universal healthcare that pays for everything for everyone by increasing our taxes to match what people pay in Europe? Serious question, as I am not watching/listening to those people debate.

kathy
Old 07-30-2019, 09:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,048 Times in 2,738 Posts

Although I am in no hurry to get any older, I can't wait until we become eligable for Medicare. The cost of insurance for someone who is not covered by an employer, and is not yet 65, is absolutely crippling! The problem is that I have no confidence that Medicare won't be totally gutted because of our Countrie's massive and unstanable budget defect and corresponding debt. Anyone who lives in the "Medicare for all" fanticy world clearly does not recognize the reality of the long term implications of unsustainable debt!
Old 07-30-2019, 09:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,677 Times in 5,229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
I consider myself lucky that hubby still works full-time and we get insurance from his job, as I do NOT want to go on Medicare.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Medicare (regular, not Advantage) pay about 80% of covered expenses and don't most people buy supplemental coverage AND drug coverage in addition to paying their monthly premium to the govt? Assuming that is accurate, when these people talk about "Medicare for All" are they talking about a plan where everybody pays $140 (or whatever the current monthly premium is) for 80% coverage AND then either pay the 20% balance plus drug costs out of pocket OR are they using "Medicare for All" as a euphemism for universal healthcare that pays for everything for everyone by increasing our taxes to match what people pay in Europe? Serious question, as I am not watching/listening to those people debate.

kathy
Please note that "everybody" doesn't pay the current monthly premium of about $140 for Medicare Part B. It is based on your income, and some pay as much as $460 per month for the same Medicare Part B coverage as those paying $140.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:22 PM
Sage

I looked forward to Medicare as I could finally get some things, at least partially paid for (had to pay a co-pay) that our insurance wouldn't cover before. I've been on Medicare for nearly 13 yrs now and it's been fine. Some folks did work for companies that had the cadillac of ins.---we did not. Bully for them! Back in the day we did too...but things began to change for many businesses where it wasn't sustainable for them.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

I was on Medicare, but i am now on VA Healthcare. There is no comparison. VA is vastly better. VA healthcare is socialized medical care. The main reason I believe the VA system is better is that there is no profit motive in the VA system. The system is motivated to keep me healthy since that reduces their costs. Medicare pays for commercial healthcare, where the motive is to treat as many me's as possible - to make a profit, but no motive cure anyone.

There are many problems with employer provided for profit healthcare the first being you can't easily change employers - you soul is owed to the company store.

Any system that allows the for profit healthcare systems to black mail us for whatever we can pay is doomed to bankrupt the country.

Healthcare can only work if it is treated as a right and the industry pricing is regulated to permit reasonable profits based on results (ie. VA system) and not profit.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:39 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Please note that "everybody" doesn't pay the current monthly premium of about $140 for Medicare Part B. It is based on your income, and some pay as much as $460 per month for the same Medicare Part B coverage as those paying $140.
This is just another tax. Imagine if a hamburger cost say $4.00 at McDonalds below a specified income level and up to $12.00 if one's income exceeded a certain amount.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 07-30-2019, 11:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Yes, I am aware. If I had moved from hubby's insurance to Medicare a few years ago I would have been paying the maximum for much less coverage (because of his income). Of course my SS payments are not calculated on his earnings, but on what I earned during my lifetime (not even in the same ballpark). Why am I not surprised ha!

k.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:47 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

I finally earned Medicare. Now they want to give it to.... Cheaper than what I had. Better?
Old 07-31-2019, 06:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Medicare + supplement has taken care of 100% of our medical needs over the years.

Complaints? None of significance!!
Old 07-31-2019, 07:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

On a regular basis there seems to be a push for a voucher system. That should be a major oncern.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2019, 07:16 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

I was far better off with company paid insurance which covered drugs, dental, hospital, doctors, services and vision, with essentially no deductible. My costs were essentially $2000 /year for myself and wife. My Medicare, Supplement, Drug, and Dental plan monthly costs are $350/Month making our annual enrollment cost for myself and wife $8400. This could be reduced by using Medicare Advantage but there are personal choices being made. Additional expenses are also incurred due to deductibles and limits.

But what is Medicare? And what are the costs?

First there is Med Part A (Simply stated), it is hospital insurance. It requires a 10 year pay in to qualify. If not qualified, it costs about $437/Month. I qualify. There is a $1364 deductible for inpatient service each benefit period. It is limited Co-insurance $0 patient cost first 60 days, patient costs exceeding $341 Days 61 to 90. Skilled Nursing $0 patient costs first 20 Days. Patient costs exceeding $170/day for days 21 to 100. With some exceptions, you get to pay the rest.

Next is Med Part B (Simply Stated), it is medical expenses outside of hospital but for the most part excluding Drugs, Vision, and Dental. If qualified the Premium is about $135 per month (Income dependent). There is an annual $185 deductible and coverage is about 80% (ACA took a small part away). Only stated services covered and services limited to facilities accepting Medicare established rate.

Part B costs not covered by Medicare can be covered by a separately purchased Supplement or Medicare Advantage program. Medicare Advantage programs vary and likely limit services to a specific network of providers. Medicare Advantage programs must provide the same services that the original Medicare covers but generally more Supplements pay portions of costs not covered by Medicare Part A and B. A good supplement will cost around $150/month.

Drug plans are too complicated to Simplify as are Dental Plans
Old 07-31-2019, 07:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Medicare + supplement has taken care of 100% of our medical needs over the years.

Complaints? None of significance!!
Agree .... Medicare and AARP J Plan serves us very well. Never see a bill, but it does not come cheap! I guess it depends what you want to pay for in life. If you are a young retiree you probably would not want to spend the money on this type of plan, if you are an older retiree you really really need it.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-31-2019, 07:56 AM
Gold member

I have Care Plus Medicare Advantage and I love it. I never pay anything for a primary care doctor visit, and drug costs are reasonable for me, but I don't take any daily medicines, so I can't speak for chronic care medications. But my doctor told me that as long as I'm healthy, it's a good deal for me. Once you are sick and want to investigate alternative care options, you'll find that the Medicare Advantage programs will restrict you, as they are HMO's or PPO's and you can only use approved providers. I'm not saying you won't get good care, but for instance, if you learn of a promising treatment provided at University Hospital Shands in Gainesville, you'll likely find they won't cover it.
Closed Thread

Tags
medicare, healthcare, company, prescription, vision

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.