back surgeon wanted

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2016, 11:54 AM
Default back surgeon wanted

need a good orthopedic surgeon to fix my sore back. Any recommendations?
Old 07-13-2016, 12:10 PM

I went to Dr Daniel Robertson in Ocala
Old 07-13-2016, 12:34 PM
Default Back Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrodehl View Post
need a good orthopedic surgeon to fix my sore back. Any recommendations?
So, I guess you would take your Rolex to a carpenter to get it fixed???? How 'bout a neuro surgeon.... all the nerves in your body run thru your spinal column.......
Old 07-13-2016, 05:16 PM
Default Back Surgeon

Dr. Barry Kaplan in Ocala operated on my husband's back. It was very successful so from our experience I would highly recommend him.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:46 PM

I have been advised by a local doctor here that I should go to Shand's in Gainesville for a neurosurgeon.They are a teaching hospital for the University of Florida. The back/ neck are very complex and you don't want to mess around. I had surgery at UPMC in Pittsburgh and they to advised us to do follow up appointments at Shands as well.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGolf View Post
I have been advised by a local doctor here that I should go to Shand's in Gainesville for a neurosurgeon.They are a teaching hospital for the University of Florida. The back/ neck are very complex and you don't want to mess around. I had surgery at UPMC in Pittsburgh and they to advised us to do follow up appointments at Shands as well.
I agree. Go to a teaching hospital. Shand's or USF's medical clinic. If you went to UPMC you will want to stay with a teaching hospital.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Just make sure that you have exhausted all other options, done a ton of research and get multiple opinions (especially from non-surgeons) for your particular problem, before having the surgery.

The best advice I ever received was from a good friend of mine (back surgeon) who told me that the last thing I should consider was surgery for my chronic back pain and even then, expect to still have some pain and expect to integrate other things (weight management/lifting techniques/exercise/lowered expectations) to maximize the effectiveness. Just don't expect the pain to magically go away forever.

Here's an article that might be worth reading for you.

Back surgery may backfire on patients in pain - Health - Pain center | NBC News

From someone who has been there, I'm wishing the best of luck to you.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:07 PM
Platinum member
Exclamation MRI is imperative.

Orthopedic or neurosurgeon?

WHAT DOES YOUR MRI SHOW IS THE PROBLEM?

You don't make recommendations about treatment until you have a diagnosis of the problem? No MRI? Then you have no business considering surgery.

I spent two years virtually immobile due to back pain. I couldn't even lie down in bed. I couldn't get a good MRI because I couldn't lie still, even when semi-sedated. I finally got a sitting MRI at a facility in Tampa.

First back surgery (minimally invasive in The Villages) relieved 80% of pain. Next two back surgeries were at Shand's in Gainesville, and were much more extensive, with head of orthopedic surgery. Then spent 4 months as inpatient in physical rehab. Still have chronic pain and can walk only a few yards with a walker. But it is not the degree of pain that kept me immobile for two years.

I absolutely had to have the surgery, but be aware that in all cases there is no guarantee that you will end up pain free.

I sympathize with your dilemma. I hope it goes well for you.

Tags
back, surgeon, sore, recommendations, fix

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.