Bariatric surgery

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-11-2015, 07:37 AM
Tweety Bird Tweety Bird is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Villages, FL
Posts: 556
Thanks: 12
Thanked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Default Bariatric surgery

Does anyone have experience with bariatric surgery? I could use the name of a surgeon who exclusively does surgery like this. I'm on the search for a good one. Thank you.
__________________



New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
  #2  
Old 03-11-2015, 08:20 AM
missypie missypie is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,149
Thanks: 1
Thanked 53 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Surely the good folks here on TOTV will be able to throw in their recommendations to you. I'm sure you have names from your Dr., but its always good to hear from patients as well. Good luck in your search.
  #3  
Old 03-11-2015, 09:22 AM
RedChariot RedChariot is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 495
Thanks: 600
Thanked 165 Times in 40 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety Bird View Post
Does anyone have experience with bariatric surgery? I could use the name of a surgeon who exclusively does surgery like this. I'm on the search for a good one. Thank you.
I'm not sure I would have such extensive surgery in Florida. NY? NJ? Yes. Perhaps others know of equally good health care systems. Just not Florida.
__________________
Forgive My Edge-I'm from New Jersey.
  #4  
Old 03-11-2015, 10:03 AM
dbussone's Avatar
dbussone dbussone is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,836
Thanks: 0
Thanked 84 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChariot View Post
I'm not sure I would have such extensive surgery in Florida. NY? NJ? Yes. Perhaps others know of equally good health care systems. Just not Florida.
I respectfully disagree. The Univ of FL Health Center has a well established Bariatric program. I would certainly look there, and perhaps even several others before leaving the state. And there are several types of surgery, including some done on an outpatient basis.
__________________
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill
  #5  
Old 03-11-2015, 10:32 AM
Medtrans Medtrans is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 392
Thanks: 16
Thanked 182 Times in 43 Posts
Default

I have had gastric bypass but in Colorado so I do not have a physician to recommend. However, the hospital you have it at should be a "center of excellence" for the procedure. Sometimes even your ins requires this, if you have ins coverage. I would be happy to discuss the experience, what you have to go through before and after. PM me if you like.
  #6  
Old 03-11-2015, 10:39 AM
dbussone's Avatar
dbussone dbussone is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,836
Thanks: 0
Thanked 84 Times in 77 Posts
Default Bariatric surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtrans View Post
I have had gastric bypass but in Colorado so I do not have a physician to recommend. However, the hospital you have it at should be a "center of excellence" for the procedure. Sometimes even your ins requires this, if you have ins coverage. I would be happy to discuss the experience, what you have to go through before and after. PM me if you like.
You are absolutely correct. Thanks for pointing that out. And there are several close to us. Tampa, Brandon, Gainesville, Orlando among others.
__________________
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill
  #7  
Old 03-22-2015, 04:24 PM
skyguy79's Avatar
skyguy79 skyguy79 is offline
Eternal Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza
Posts: 5,575
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety Bird View Post
Does anyone have experience with bariatric surgery? I could use the name of a surgeon who exclusively does surgery like this. I'm on the search for a good one. Thank you.
I've been looking into bariatric surgery in this area for a while now. The only one I've found promising is Dr. Jawad who has offices in both Orlando and Ocala. His web site claims he has successfully performed over 4000 laproscopic procedures as you will find stated in this quote from the site:

"Serving as an expert in the laparoscopic field and performing bariatric surgery since 1984, he has performed more than 4,000 laparoscopic bariatric surgical cases since 2000, safely and with great success. He specializes in the laparoscopic gastric bypass, the adjustable Lap-Band, and sleeve gastrectomy procedures."

You'll find a lot more information on his website Bariatric Surgeon | Weight Loss Center Orlando | Ocala | Florida
__________________
ARE VILLAGERS OLD OR ARE THEY RECYCLED TEENAGERS
At my age rolling out of bed in the morning is easy.
Getting up off the floor is another story.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
  #8  
Old 03-22-2015, 06:24 PM
Shimpy's Avatar
Shimpy Shimpy is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,697
Thanks: 3
Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChariot View Post
I'm not sure I would have such extensive surgery in Florida. NY? NJ? Yes. Perhaps others know of equally good health care systems. Just not Florida.

I agree......LOL....... Since although all the doctors and surgeons go to the same schools and read the same books, but only the VERY VERY VERY BEST go to NY and NJ. The rest of the country is in a world of hurt if they choose surgery in any other place than in NY or NJ? Let me tell you I had Carotid artery surgery, which is a surgery that has a high rate of stroke during surgery, in Boca Raton Florida. My surgeon was rated one of the top in the country for successful Carotid artery surgery and he never practiced in NY or NJ if you can believe that. I since had triple bybass surgery for the heart and my surgeon in S. Florida was excellent. He also never practiced in NY or NJ if you can believe that.
__________________
Les
  #9  
Old 03-23-2015, 11:16 AM
Tweety Bird Tweety Bird is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Villages, FL
Posts: 556
Thanks: 12
Thanked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
I've been looking into bariatric surgery in this area for a while now. The only one I've found promising is Dr. Jawad who has offices in both Orlando and Ocala. His web site claims he has successfully performed over 4000 laproscopic procedures as you will find stated in this quote from the site:

"Serving as an expert in the laparoscopic field and performing bariatric surgery since 1984, he has performed more than 4,000 laparoscopic bariatric surgical cases since 2000, safely and with great success. He specializes in the laparoscopic gastric bypass, the adjustable Lap-Band, and sleeve gastrectomy procedures."

You'll find a lot more information on his website Bariatric Surgeon | Weight Loss Center Orlando | Ocala | Florida
Thank you for all your information. I've had a good phone call from someone who had the procedure and it's a start in research. And no, I won't be going to NY or NJ. LOL
__________________



New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
  #10  
Old 03-24-2015, 09:33 AM
Meddick Meddick is offline
Member
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 90
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I had the sleeve gastrectomy 3 years ago and am pleased with the results. I did have the surgery in India (I was living there at the time) by a surgeon that trained in the UK. The thing about India is that with medicine, like a lot of things, there are 2 systems - one for those who can pay and one for those who cannot pay.

India is a major player in medical tourism and if you are interested in a bit of adventure and saving some money, it might be an option.

Don
__________________
Started out in Detroit, ending up in Collier.
----------------------
"A pessimist sees a glass half-empty; an optimist sees a glass half-full; an engineer sees an over-sized container"
  #11  
Old 03-24-2015, 09:48 AM
dbussone's Avatar
dbussone dbussone is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,836
Thanks: 0
Thanked 84 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meddick View Post
I had the sleeve gastrectomy 3 years ago and am pleased with the results. I did have the surgery in India (I was living there at the time) by a surgeon that trained in the UK. The thing about India is that with medicine, like a lot of things, there are 2 systems - one for those who can pay and one for those who cannot pay.

India is a major player in medical tourism and if you are interested in a bit of adventure and saving some money, it might be an option.

Don
And India has some excellent physicians/surgeons. Many trained in the U.S. as well. Do your research first though. I remember a few years ago when I was living out West, an insurance company was encouraging certain Orthopaedic patients to go to India for care. The difference in cost was significant enough that the patient had no copay or out of pocket expenses.
__________________
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill
  #12  
Old 03-24-2015, 10:10 AM
starflyte1 starflyte1 is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Villas de la Mesa
Posts: 1,668
Thanks: 284
Thanked 261 Times in 69 Posts
Default

My friend had the surgery in Mexico and goes to Tampa for continuing care. She is very happy with the results, the Mexican Clinic and the money savings. I would be a bit hesitant to go to Mexico, but she said the facility and care was every bit as nice as here in the states. She offered to go with me, if I decided to go.
__________________
Village of Hacienda East
  #13  
Old 03-24-2015, 10:18 AM
dbussone's Avatar
dbussone dbussone is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,836
Thanks: 0
Thanked 84 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
My friend had the surgery in Mexico and goes to Tampa for continuing care. She is very happy with the results, the Mexican Clinic and the money savings. I would be a bit hesitant to go to Mexico, but she said the facility and care was every bit as nice as here in the states. She offered to go with me, if I decided to go.
There is a Bariatric surgeon from Las Vegas who was operating at a Mexican clinic a couple of times a week. He is an excellent surgeon.
__________________
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill
  #14  
Old 03-24-2015, 10:39 AM
Medtrans Medtrans is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 392
Thanks: 16
Thanked 182 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
There is a Bariatric surgeon from Las Vegas who was operating at a Mexican clinic a couple of times a week. He is an excellent surgeon.
Wow, surgery in Mexico? Full gastric bypass or a LapBand or sleeve gastrectomy? In a clinic vs a hospital? Personally I would never do that. A lot of people these days have ins coverage for this procedure but I wouldn't think so in Mexico. In my case I had a lot of hoops to jump through before my surgery (some required by my surgeon and some required by the ins company) which included monthly visits to the surgeon, nutritionist, family doc and psychologist for 6 months. Bariatric surgery is an invasive procedure and is not for everyone. You have to be healthy enough, desirous of the procedure and fully informed of what to expect immediately afterwards and for months and years after the procedure. Again I'll state that the procedure (full gastric bypass) should be done at a center of excellence and by a surgeon who can tell you how many he has done. I am 7 years out but it wasn't easy and I was pretty sick right after the surgery so I don't know how this could be done in a clinic. I was in the hospital 4 days. Hat happens if you have a complication and you are in Mexico? I spoke to TweetyBird by phone and anyone who is thinking of having this procedure should PM me and I would be happy to discuss my experience and everything it entailed.
  #15  
Old 03-24-2015, 11:00 AM
dbussone's Avatar
dbussone dbussone is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,836
Thanks: 0
Thanked 84 Times in 77 Posts
Default Bariatric surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtrans View Post
Wow, surgery in Mexico? Full gastric bypass or a LapBand or sleeve gastrectomy? In a clinic vs a hospital? Personally I would never do that. A lot of people these days have ins coverage for this procedure but I wouldn't think so in Mexico. In my case I had a lot of hoops to jump through before my surgery (some required by my surgeon and some required by the ins company) which included monthly visits to the surgeon, nutritionist, family doc and psychologist for 6 months. Bariatric surgery is an invasive procedure and is not for everyone. You have to be healthy enough, desirous of the procedure and fully informed of what to expect immediately afterwards and for months and years after the procedure. Again I'll state that the procedure (full gastric bypass) should be done at a center of excellence and by a surgeon who can tell you how many he has done. I am 7 years out but it wasn't easy and I was pretty sick right after the surgery so I don't know how this could be done in a clinic. I was in the hospital 4 days. Hat happens if you have a complication and you are in Mexico? I spoke to TweetyBird by phone and anyone who is thinking of having this procedure should PM me and I would be happy to discuss my experience and everything it entailed.

Both LapBand and full bypass. At the time I lived in Vegas he was also the medical director of a LV hospital Center of Excellence. My understanding is that some Mexican "clinics" are basically small hospitals.
__________________
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 PM.