Best Medical Health Insurance @ 65

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2021, 06:10 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiagobob View Post
I have Medicare and a supplement policy with AARP United Healthcare. My plan has no co pays, deductibles and pays everything that Medicare does not cover. I have had 5 surgeries in the last 10 years including 9 days in ICU in U.F. Shands hospital and I have never paid a dime for any of these procedures. I can go anywhere and make my own appointments without a referral.I do pay a monthly premium, but one stay in a hospital Is worth a years premium
Bob B.
Me too. Its perfect
Old 07-20-2021, 06:13 AM

Don’t get an advantage plan
Old 07-20-2021, 06:29 AM
Default Health insurance

You might want to watch this video before making your decision:

No Premium "FREE" Medicare Plans | You Get What You Pay For - YouTube
Old 07-20-2021, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eg_cruz View Post
Plan F is no longer
Plan G is now the new F but the cost is moving up
Look at Plan N $40-60 less a month depending on your age…..yes you have co-pays to dr visit but if you go to the dr 3-4 times a yr you will be saving money, hospital coverage in Plan G and N are the same
Nobody only goes to a health care provider 3-4 times a year! Plan G + UHC is by far the best option for the OP (and me).
Old 07-20-2021, 06:41 AM

I think that asking people what they think is the best whatever when whatever is something that very few people will actually have experience with multiple whatevers is rather a waste of time. For instance, I have Florida Blue (it’s BCBS), but I’ve never had another Medicare Advantage plan so I can’t possibly compare it to any others. It seems OK, but I can’t say it’s better or worse than any other plan. Would I rather it gave me more for less? For sure, but TANSTAAFL.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,251 Times in 4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72lions View Post
Nobody only goes to a health care provider 3-4 times a year! Plan G + UHC is by far the best option for the OP (and me).
Really? Nobody?

There's a lot of very healthy seniors out there...

-Tom Petty
Old 07-20-2021, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penglobal View Post
Hello -
After delaying for as long as I can, ( I've been 52 for a while), I'll be turning 65 in a few months and seeking guidance on the best possible medical insurance plan used by fellow Villagers without factoring-in cost.

My COBRA ends when I turn 65 and I am seeking a similar medical insurance plan comparable to my COBRA plan which essentially covered everything including prescription drugs, treatment from almost any physician with minimal out of pocket cost.

Thanks for your help.
If you live here full time those days are over. Villages likes to force feed United healthcare under the guise that your 147- part B will go to them then you will have deductibles to meet but it operates like an HMO - you will have to purchase dental and drug separately. If you had health ins in another state where you could choose who to go without a referral those days are gone. There is a crisis of not enough staff nurses and doctors.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penglobal View Post
Hello -
After delaying for as long as I can, ( I've been 52 for a while), I'll be turning 65 in a few months and seeking guidance on the best possible medical insurance plan used by fellow Villagers without factoring-in cost.

My COBRA ends when I turn 65 and I am seeking a similar medical insurance plan comparable to my COBRA plan which essentially covered everything including prescription drugs, treatment from almost any physician with minimal out of pocket cost.

Thanks for your help.
There are 2 types of plans, supplements and advantage. You will need to apply for medicare a and b first. After that a supplement does just that it supplements your medicare benefits. An advantage plan replaces your medicare plan. An advantage plan will limit your choices and may have out of area disadvantages.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
I am guessing you have UHC, via AARP, Plan F. If you live in Sumter County you can save yourself money by switching to Plan G ( no underwriting required). The Part B deductible (about $200) is covered by Plan F and not Plan G but the Plan G premiums are about $360 less. All other aspects are identical.
Plan F is no longer being written to anyone going on Medicare as of 2020. Those who had it prior are grandfathered in by social security. Only portion is plan F or go cheap and pay big time here
Old 07-20-2021, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
My wife and I took care of my father for three years in our home prior to his death. I took care of all his finances and he had AARP UHC plan F and it paid for everything without question. When I turned 65 I signed up for AARP/UHC as did my wife when she turned 65. I have had the normal health issues, but my wife has had dozens of hospitalizations, in Kansas City as well as in the TV area, and we have never paid a cent out of pocket. There are probably cheaper plans out there, but the peace of mind we get that we are 100% covered is worth more than the premiums we pay (which are hundreds of thousands less than what the insurance has paid.)
But it isn’t offered anymore the feds stopped F. Medicare grandfathered in those who had it. Your knowledge is not up to date.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:53 AM

Great advice good neighbors, I like reading about what plan is best. Thanks
Old 07-20-2021, 07:05 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts

Very complicated. If someone suggested seeing SHINE, and they are an advisory program, I would do that. I navigated the system myself when I turned 65 and it took some effort but you need to know everything about the coverage and your own health status.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I already addressed this in post #15. The post I was responding to initially was to someone who clearly was eligible for Plan F and most likely has Plan F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRMACK55 View Post
Plan F is no longer being written to anyone going on Medicare as of 2020. Those who had it prior are grandfathered in by social security. Only portion is plan F or go cheap and pay big time here

Last edited by tuccillo; 07-20-2021 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:10 AM

I do. As you get older, you can change plans. Your decision is not written in stone. As for now, it is cost effective to be on Plan N.

Last edited by cindyfeh; 07-20-2021 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Dupe
Old 07-20-2021, 07:13 AM

[QUOTE=cindyfeh;1975589]I do. As you get older, you can change plans. Your decision is not written in stone. As for now, it is cost effective to be on Plan N if you are healthy.
Closed Thread

Tags
insurance, medical, cost, plan, seeking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.