Beware 441 Urgent Care

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2019, 03:43 PM
Default Beware 441 Urgent Care

I was sent by my PCP for stat bloodwork on Friday. Went to 441 Urgent Care at Buffalo Ridge. The provider told me to go to their office on Old Camp Rd. today to pick up the results. When I got there, they wanted to charge me a 2nd $40 copay for the provider to "review the results with me." They would fax the results to my PCP for free. I chose the latter and walked out.

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 12-14-2019, 08:39 PM
Veteran member

Convenience comes at a cost! I was at 441 for an infection recently and they wanted me to come in 3 days in a row for a shot of antibiotics. Yep, a new co-pay each time.

They were new visits so I can't really complain, but it does balance out the benefits of walk-in service and a 5 minute wait.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:56 PM

When your title said: beware, it set off alarms like they are not competent medical providers vs a billing charge. I have found 441 Urgent Care on 44 to be over and beyond qualified, capable and knowledge. The majority of their DR are have additional emergency room/trauma training. This customer has been over and beyond happy with their services.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:17 PM

As a retired nurse, I need to ask.....WHAT part of going to the Dr expecting lab work and than AGAIN for results do you think was unreasonable? I PROMISE you when you sign in with your Dr that ORDERED that blood work, you will be required your copay.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koapaka View Post
As a retired nurse, I need to ask.....WHAT part of going to the Dr expecting lab work and than AGAIN for results do you think was unreasonable? I PROMISE you when you sign in with your Dr that ORDERED that blood work, you will be required your copay.
I had a primary care physician here in TV (will not say his name) who ordered lab work during my visit with him. He then required me to come back to his office to discuss the results which would require another co-pay. I could easily afford to pay a second co-pay but it was principle that I should not have to do that. I told him "no thanks". I can view my results on my portal and figure out what is abnormal. If there were any abnormal results then I would consider discussing with him. Needless to say, I found another doctor who did blood work in advance of my appointment and then discusses results at that appointment........as it should be done.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:18 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

It seems fair to require to be paid for each time you visit a doctor, even to talk. They have expenses and provide a much needed service.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:25 AM
Veteran member

If you are that medically qualified to interpret your own blood work, then why should you even go to a doctor. A friend's daughter just finished medical school, and she owes $275,000 in student loans accordingly to her family. I don't understand your "matter of principle" response. I would think that you would want to have a medical opinion concerning your blood work results, especially when some of the test results are abnormal.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:26 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koapaka View Post
Correct.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
It seems fair to require to be paid for each time you visit a doctor, even to talk. They have expenses and provide a much needed service.
I very much agree, but twice here in The Villages, for the first time in our lives we felt that two PCP Doctors had someone come in to just add to their income, such as give tests on peripheral blood vessels to all patients and have a P.A. schedule everyone for a well person interview, (paid for by medicare) Or have done in their office what had been done by an outside provider before more expertly. ( I had a Holter monitor put on me in a doctors office by a tech who was literally reading the directions and said he hadn't done this before). Four leads detached themselves from me before the 24 hour period ended and that had NOT happened before and I was very careful.

Now that we have switched to The Villages Health Care...(luckily our company insurance switched to UHC) we have none of those issues. We really respect and are grateful for the care all three of us receive.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,623 Times in 5,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulat585 View Post
I was sent by my PCP for stat bloodwork on Friday. Went to 441 Urgent Care at Buffalo Ridge. The provider told me to go to their office on Old Camp Rd. today to pick up the results. When I got there, they wanted to charge me a 2nd $40 copay for the provider to "review the results with me." They would fax the results to my PCP for free. I chose the latter and walked out.
I'm confused. I read this post at least 5 times and I still don't know what happened. If you need blood work, the blood can be drawn at any lab and most doctor's offices, and the results are available online to both the patient and the doctor who wrote the order. The doctor or nurse should explain the results to the patient either by phone on in person. But, in my experience the patient is rarely charged for more then one office visit copay unless the doctor needs to see the patient more than once. And, why would any office tell a patient to come in to "pick up the results", when they can be faxed to the PCP in a minute? If your PCP felt the need for "stat" blood work, he/she should have been available to receive the results and explain them to you immediately at least with a phone call. It sounds like the PCP wanted to pass the OP off onto the urgent care office because it was a weekend. So, the urgent care office told the OP to come pick up the results, and then refused to provide them without seeing a doctor and paying. If so, I think they should have told you that on the phone before you went there. Also, the PCP should have told you how and when you would be receiving the results. I am continually disappointed by the way patients are treated with disrespect and a lack of communication by medical offices.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Inappropriate title for the thread!!
Misleading!!!
Old 12-15-2019, 10:45 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulat585 View Post
Buffalo Ridge is not on 441. It is just off 466, close to Bonefish. Were you on 441 or 466?
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 12-15-2019, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,623 Times in 5,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
Buffalo Ridge is not on 441. It is just off 466, close to Bonefish. Were you on 441 or 466?
"441 Urgent Care" is the name of the urgent care facility. They have 6 locations and one of them is at Buffalo Ridge.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:58 AM
Sage

There is indeed a 441 Urgent Care in Buffalo Ridge.
Retired Guy, I didn't know that. So thanks for the information.

Last edited by Barefoot; 12-15-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I'm confused. I read this post at least 5 times and I still don't know what happened. If you need blood work, the blood can be drawn at any lab and most doctor's offices, and the results are available online to both the patient and the doctor who wrote the order. The doctor or nurse should explain the results to the patient either by phone on in person. But, in my experience the patient is rarely charged for more then one office visit copay unless the doctor needs to see the patient more than once. And, why would any office tell a patient to come in to "pick up the results", when they can be faxed to the PCP in a minute? If your PCP felt the need for "stat" blood work, he/she should have been available to receive the results and explain them to you immediately at least with a phone call. It sounds like the PCP wanted to pass the OP off onto the urgent care office because it was a weekend. So, the urgent care office told the OP to come pick up the results, and then refused to provide them without seeing a doctor and paying. If so, I think they should have told you that on the phone before you went there. Also, the PCP should have told you how and when you would be receiving the results. I am continually disappointed by the way patients are treated with disrespect and a lack of communication by medical offices.
This is an appropriate interpretation of what happened. I wouldn't have complained had the original Urgent Care person told me the "pick up" would be charged as an office visit. The PCP wanted me seen--did not issue any orders.

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Closed Thread

Tags
results, care, urgent, provider, pcp

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.