Coumadin/Warfarin

Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Default Coumadin/Warfarin

Future resident looking for a facility that provides one-stop blood work services for monitoring PT/INR.
Additionally, does anyone know if TV VA clinic provides this service?
Hope to buy late April and relocate mid June so your recommendations are greatly appreciated
Old 03-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

There are Quest labs all over the place. You will need an order.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-23-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts
Default Citrus Cardiology does PT/INR by appointment.

Usually in and out in less than 10 minutes and always ON TIME. They have an office across from TooJay's in Sumpter Landing

btk
Old 03-23-2011, 04:19 PM

If you are on Medicare, you may do your own INR & PT @ your home with all costs covered by Medicare. You will have the INR unit and all supplies provided to you ... with even an instructural visit. Prick your finger, read the results and call them in or email them to your Dr. or service. No big bloodbdraw or appointments .... it is the way to go ... if you have medical coverage. Best wishes ...
Old 03-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookies View Post
Future resident looking for a facility that provides one-stop blood work services for monitoring PT/INR.
Additionally, does anyone know if TV VA clinic provides this service?
Hope to buy late April and relocate mid June so your recommendations are greatly appreciated
Yes, the VA clinic here in TV covers that service and very well at that. Hubby goes there and is extremely pleased with all of their services.

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 03-23-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge538 View Post
If you are on Medicare, you may do your own INR & PT @ your home with all costs covered by Medicare. You will have the INR unit and all supplies provided to you ... with even an instructural visit. Prick your finger, read the results and call them in or email them to your Dr. or service. No big bloodbdraw or appointments .... it is the way to go ... if you have medical coverage. Best wishes ...
My mother-in-law who is 87 years old on Medicare had to pay a 441.00 co-pay for the machine which she just ordered within the last week. She still did it since it so much easier then going to get blood work 2 to 4 times per month. I do not know why yours was covered but hers was not.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default another option

Another option to check out if you are on Coumadin for A-fib (Atrial Fibrilation) is the medicine Pradaxa. This medication is new, replaces Warfarin/Coumadin and does not require blood draws. However some insurances have not approved it on their plan while others embrace it whole heartedly. Just another thought for you to discuss with your doctor.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I am Tri Care for Life and recently asked my cardiologist to switch me to Pradaxa(my idea not his) He agreed and my plan provides payment. If you read the info on internet you will understand that this is the best move ,if your plan approves it. No more INR blood test and generally eat what you want. Only drawback is two doses a day and very high price if you don't have coverage.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts
Default We recently asked our cardiologist about Pradaxa.

He said it was not yet approved by Medicare and was much more expensive. So we will wait until it is covered...if it is ever covered. I would think in the long run it would be as it eliminates the monthly cost of INR testing.

btk
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.