Bifocal Prescrption

Closed Thread
Old 04-09-2019, 04:40 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts
Default Bifocal Prescrption

When I get an eye exam I always state that I want my bifocals to have a focus point at 24 inch from my face. At 24 inch I can clearly see my computer, read the paper and see the dashboard in my car. It never fails that when I have new glasses made, I can’t see the dashboard clearly thru my bifocals nor my far vision. When I complain, I hear the same tired old response, you need trifocals or progressives. Trifocals and progressives interfere with my golf swing. Every time, I have to argue until I receive a prescription with bifocals focal best at 24 inches from my face. Then, I see the dashboard, read and my phone/computer screen just fine and my golf ball thru my far vision just fine. So, please do what I pay for and not what you the tech believes is best for me. Ggggggeeeeezzzz!!!
Old 04-09-2019, 05:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

For the last 25+ years, I wear trifocals day to day and have had a set of glasses with only the furthest distance prescription (with photochromic lenses, so they double as sunglasses) in them...to play golf.

While it's a pain changing them (I keep the distance glasses in my golf bag), I found that I couldn't even hit the ball with bifocals...much less trifocals.

My 'golf glasses' also have a fairly large and flat lens so that distortion is kept to a minimum...and peripheral vision to a maximum.

An added benefit, is that my golf glasses can work as a substitute in a pinch...should something happen to my trifocals.

This system works great for me.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 04-09-2019 at 05:41 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:57 AM

I do the same. I have one pair of glasses with only the distance vision that I wear when I play golf or even water aerobics. The are the ones that can double as sunglasses since they shade darker in the sunlight. Then my second pair is what I wear for everything else--trifocals.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:08 AM
Veteran member

I just have progressive lenses. Work in all conditions plus they have a magnetic sunglasses attachment and I have several magnetic sunglass clips for golf cart, car, etc. Done!
Old 04-09-2019, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,097 Times in 2,230 Posts

OP, try going to Hindsight in Pinellas plaza, and explaing exactly what you want, I think you will be very happy with the results. I have been using them for years.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
For the last 25+ years, I wear trifocals day to day and have had a set of glasses with only the furthest distance prescription (with photochromic lenses, so they double as sunglasses) in them...to play golf.

While it's a pain changing them (I keep the distance glasses in my golf bag), I found that I couldn't even hit the ball with bifocals...much less trifocals.

My 'golf glasses' also have a fairly large and flat lens so that distortion is kept to a minimum...and peripheral vision to a maximum.

An added benefit, is that my golf glasses can work as a substitute in a pinch...should something happen to my trifocals.

This system works great for me.
Ditto. I have a pair of glasses for distance only. I use them for pickleball and tennis.

My problem is no bifocal prescription I've ever gotten is as good as just taking my glasses off to read the computer or a book. I would like my next pair of progressives to have distance on the top and nothing on the bottom. Not sure if I'll be able to find someone to do that.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:55 AM

I use distance glasses for watching television and walking about the house. The trifocals can cause you to trip easily because you can't see where your feet go.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:08 PM
Default Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
When I get an eye exam I always state that I want my bifocals to have a focus point at 24 inch from my face. At 24 inch I can clearly see my computer, read the paper and see the dashboard in my car. It never fails that when I have new glasses made, I can’t see the dashboard clearly thru my bifocals nor my far vision. When I complain, I hear the same tired old response, you need trifocals or progressives. Trifocals and progressives interfere with my golf swing. Every time, I have to argue until I receive a prescription with bifocals focal best at 24 inches from my face. Then, I see the dashboard, read and my phone/computer screen just fine and my golf ball thru my far vision just fine. So, please do what I pay for and not what you the tech believes is best for me. Ggggggeeeeezzzz!!!
I'm not sn ophthalmologist but do have a background in photography-lenses etc.
Normal reading lenses are designed to work at 18 inches. I will guess you have light colored eyes. Reason for my guess is that people with light colored eyes usually have the iris open larger than people with dark colored eyes. The effect is less depth of field. If, I am right try turning the illumination on your car dash board to it's brightest setting.

For your sight, from you post, something is unusual. If, you don't know what it is you should see a quality ophthalmologist for a complete exam.
Closed Thread

Tags
bifocals, dashboard, progressives, face, read

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.