Colonoscopy risks

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2015, 01:06 PM
Sage
Default Colonoscopy risks

Colonoscopy: Is It Worth The Risk?

The above link serves as a reminder to me that I'm doing the right thing by not getting a colonoscopy. It's definitely not for me. I've decided to resist the pressure put on me by others, including my HMO/doctor.

Read the link and decide for yourself whether you should get tested.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Death By Colonoscopy: Side Effects of Screening

The above links serve as a reminder to me that I'm doing the right thing by not getting a colonoscopy. It's definitely not for me. I've decided to resist the pressure put on me by others, including my HMO/doctor.

Read the links and decide for yourself whether you should get tested.
It's an individual decision of course, VPL. But I hope you at least give it due consideration. I want to share a little family history. Again, each situation is different. Just take this as one piece of information for what it's worth...

My dad died of colon cancer in the early 80's. At that time, it was recommended for a little while that high risk individuals, like myself, should have a colonoscopy every year. Thanks goodness that changed not long thereafter to once every few years. Now it's pretty much every five years. Suffice it to say, I have had a few colonoscopies. I have had no adverse effects in any way. And I do get a good feeling knowing I'm doing okay after the procedure.

My dad was not one to go to the doctor. I've never shaken the feeling that if he had gone for more checkups, which likely would have included occasional colonoscopies, he could have lived a lot longer life. I so wish I had encouraged him to do so.

Now comes the fall of last year, and we get word from Ohio that my sister-in-law has stage four colon cancer. I was very surprised that she also had not seen a doctor in far too long. She has been sole care-giver to my brother, sick with Parkinson's Disease, for a very long time. Now my brother has had to be moved to a care facility, and my niece has to take care of both of her parents. It's been devastating to say the least.

Please don't think that I (or any of my family) is looking for sympathy. My only point is that colon cancer has had a huge impact on my family. And I firmly believe that if my father and sister-in-law had had colonoscopies, we could have easily been a cancer-free family. Imagine the difference.

The decision for me to have periodic colonoscopies has been very easy.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:38 PM
Gold member

Quote:

The above link serves as a reminder to me that I'm doing the right thing by not getting a colonoscopy. It's definitely not for me. I've decided to resist the pressure put on me by others, including my HMO/doctor.

I've been diligent with colonoscopies since I passed the 50 mark. 16 years later cancer was found and I immediately scheduled surgery. It's an unknown when you go under the knife but luckily for me it was caught in the early stages and was stage 1. Surgery removed 8"'s of my colon and in 2 months I was good as new. No chemo or radiation needed because it was caught early. I'm would advise any and all to have this easy procedure done knowing that it could easily be a life saver.
Skip
Old 02-23-2015, 01:47 PM
Default some word of though

17 years ago had my first colonoscopy after many years of putting it off. Needless to say I had a late stage colon, rectal cancer after 9 month of surgery chemo and radiation I am still here. What many years before was what was a small plops that could have been simply removed. I have spent years trying to have people do it early. The doctor sounds like the ones against shots.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:12 PM
Sage
Default Colonoscopy risks

I didn't read the article prior to my first post. I was just relating my own experiences.

After reading as much of the article as I could stomach, I have only one word to summarize my feelings...and it's the sound a duck makes. The only problem with using that word to describe the author is that it usually applies to a doctor, which the author is not.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

If someone in your family has had colon cancer than the risk increases significantly. Many people find reasons not to have a colonoscopy because of fear. Your link is not a credible one VPL.

I will find one from a respected medical facility like Mayo. Or Sloan Kettering or MD Anderson

http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-proc...s/prc-20013624

http://www.mdanderson.org/patient-an...talcancer.html

http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/adu...nes-colorectal
Old 02-23-2015, 02:33 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Has anyone else heard this????..............My dad told me, his doctor told him he does not need the scope any more (after age 80). Never had any issues and told him no more.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:52 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Has anyone else heard this????..............My dad told me, his doctor told him he does not need the scope any more (after age 80). Never had any issues and told him no more.
"The USPSTF says screening colonoscopies should be performed on a case-by-case basis for people between the ages of 76 and 85, and it recommends no screening for people over age 85."

Colonoscopy for Over 70 May Not Be Necessary - Colorectal Cancer Screening -AARP

Research suggests caution on colonoscopies for seniors - amednews.com
Suffering from TV envy
Old 02-23-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Risk at that age and above is high and patient history and health are major factors.

My wife work for a prominent gastroenterologist and he managed to lose two senior patients by puncturing the intestine.

Extend your arm out straight and grab at the elbow.
This is the density and strength of your large intestine.

We are not doctors.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

I'm not about to take medical advice from a self described "not a medical doctor".

"I (Konstantin Monastyrsky, author) am not a medical doctor. The opinions expressed in my books, videos, and websites reflect my personal experiences and ongoing investigations into functional (i.e. reversible) conditions related to everyday health and nutrition. "
Old 02-23-2015, 03:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
"The USPSTF says screening colonoscopies should be performed on a case-by-case basis for people between the ages of 76 and 85, and it recommends no screening for people over age 85."

Colonoscopy for Over 70 May Not Be Necessary - Colorectal Cancer Screening -AARP

Research suggests caution on colonoscopies for seniors - amednews.com
Very interesting Kayaker. I feel I learned something important from the information you linked.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:54 PM
Sage

Quote:

Would you mind telling us how old you are, VPL?
Old 02-23-2015, 04:12 PM
Sage

Another post by VPL but this time clearly stating, he was never going to have a colonoscopy, procedure performed.

"A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still" Dale Carnegie

Samo, samo, opinion. Nothing new under the sun!!!!

I sincerely hope you don't get colon cancer.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-23-2015, 04:25 PM
Gold member

Quote:

Finding colon cancer that has metastasized to the bones, rectum, bladder, spine, lungs, and/or brain is a whole lot riskier than a colonoscopy.

End of story IMO.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:25 PM

The Government's stance on colonoscopies is trying to save money. Do you really think cancer takes a holiday just because you turn 85 ? If you have a history of any polyps,you are at risk at any age. This is a very safe,very quick procedure.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.