Bone spur Achilles' tendon

Closed Thread
Old 11-21-2017, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,879 Times in 2,425 Posts
Default Bone spur Achilles' tendon

I have 4 bone spurs on my left foot, one sticking through my Achilles' tendon where it attaches to the heel. The knot getting bigger and the pain very uncomfortable almost to point where it unbearable. My question? Has anybody had bone spur remove and how was the outcome? My Achilles will be cut (detached), spur ground off and the Achilles reattached. Doctor said 6 month to year for full recovery? I been putting it off, but running out of optimism.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I have 4 bone spurs on my left foot, one sticking through my Achilles' tendon where it attaches to the heel. The knot getting bigger and the pain very uncomfortable almost to point where it unbearable. My question? Has anybody had bone spur remove and how was the outcome? My Achilles will be cut (detached), spur ground off and the Achilles reattached. Doctor said 6 month to year for full recovery? I been putting it off, but running out of optimism.
I hurt for you. I had a torn Achilles Tendon and Dr. Wu immobilized my foot for 12 weeks (night and day) in a boot and it worked. Not nearly as serious as your malady. It sounds like you are seeing an orthopedic doctor. Wishing you success. I know that you are an excellent tennis player and this is a very difficult thing to face.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I hurt for you. I had a torn Achilles Tendon and Dr. Wu immobilized my foot for 12 weeks (night and day) in a boot and it worked. Not nearly as serious as your malady. It sounds like you are seeing an orthopedic doctor. Wishing you success. I know that you are an excellent tennis player and this is a very difficult thing to face.
Been putting it off for couple years, I will have to have the booth for three months or so if and when I have it done. Probably early next year if I can wait that long? My Achilles not torn but irritated by the spur sticking through it I first thought I tore my Achilles, MRI showed no tare. I ice pack it to control the swelling, Aleve to control pain, but beings I only have one semi circular canal, (one ear) the naproxen sodium effects my balance for several hours after. Kind of double edge sword. Dang if I don and dang if I don't?
Old 11-21-2017, 02:50 PM
Platinum member
Default Sympathy

I can only offer sympathy, no advice.

My wife overcame heel spurs with physical therapy, but if you are seeing a doctor then you have probably already tried the alternatives to surgery.

I understand chronic pain, and I hope you have a successful outcome.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:50 PM
fw102807

My sister had the surgery after her tendon completely tore. Better to have it done before that occurs. She has a nasty scar but no more pain.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

So sorry to hear of your situation. My understanding is that bone spurs do not necessarily have to be operated on unless they are affecting other tissue or if you have exhausted your options to relieve the discomfort in other ways. In your case, it sounds like, unfortunately, you have both problems at this point. Obviously a trusted physician is your best source for the correct answer, but as others have said having a torn Achilles down the road will only be worse.

I wish you all the best in your decision and will be praying for a speedy recovery if you decide to move forward with surgery. Keep us posted.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:21 PM

Is it Dr. Johnny Wu on Santa Barbara Blvd? Thank yu.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:30 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

A cousin and a friend of mine had to have the surgery done two times. The second time was done because they failed to follow instructions after the first surgery.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:55 PM
Veteran member

I had bone spurs in both heels. No where near as bad as yours sound. Dr. told me surgery was exactly as you explained it. For the last 5 years or so, I stopped wearing shoes with backs to them. Even when I would go up north in the winter I would wear sneakers that had no backs, just slip them on.

I did that for about 5 years, never wore a shoe with a back. I just this month put a real pair of shoes on and wore them each for a whole day and they did not hurt me. Hopefully, my bone spurs have somehow heeled themselves but I will still only wear real shoes sparingly.

Don't know if this will help you in the long run, but it may prevent the pain in the meantime.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:57 PM
Sage

I'm afraid it's eventually going to affect the tendon tissue. I have knot/ bump about size of 1/3 golf ball on back of my heal and goose egg bump on my big toe joint about of dime that crowns up 3/8 " or more. Those are the two that bother me the most. Smaller one on my little toe joint, and small one under the heal. Going on my 4th year gradually getting worse. I'll go in couple months see again if tissue damage has gotten worse? I suspect the damage to my feet was from wearing steel toed boots for 30 plus years?
Closed Thread

Tags
achilles, bone, spur, tendon, doctor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.