Boosted with Pfizer yesterday here in the Villages.

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2021, 10:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
The latest numbers show that 30% of those hospitalized with Covid are fully vaccinated.
You didn't state a source but that is high for COVID overall.

COVID-19 breakthrough hospitalizations - Peterson-KFF Health System Tracker

I was referring to Omicron resulting in very few hospitalizations of the fully boosted so far.
Old 12-30-2021, 11:17 AM
Default 30% not vaccinated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
The latest numbers show that 30% of those hospitalized with Covid are fully vaccinated.
Good reason to get vaccinated then, since 71% over 12 have been fully vaccinated and yet they only account for 30% of hospitalizations if your info is correct.. While the 29% unvaccinated account for 70% of the hospitalizations.

And that doesn’t reflect the far smaller % who have also had the booster.
Old 12-30-2021, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donassaid View Post
Why? For a virus that is survived by 99%? In case you haven't noticed, everyone coming down with Covid (cruise ships, NFL, NBA, NHL, erc) have one thing in common - they were all vaccinated and wear masks. South Africa, where only 27% of the people have been vaccinated, and where tge Omicron variant originated, only had 2 deaths and both of them had other medical issues. And now, they are past the health danger as even Biden just lifted the travel ban on South Africa. Wake up people. This is not about your health but about government control.
South Africa is not comparable to the US on a one-to-one basis. Many generations of S. Africans have grown up in poverty and walked around shoeless and playing in the dirt for much of their childhood. This caused them to be in contact with more bacteria and viruses for longer periods of time and even generations compared with US people and Europeans. Therefore, they have superior built-up immunity.
Basically, we NEED the vaccines more than they do.
Incidentally, Dr. Olsterholm's recent advice is to "hunker-down" and keep a low profile socially for the next 2 months - because Omicron will disrupt ALL aspects of society (health workers in short supply, restaurants may close, travel problems, and etc, etc) AND Omicron specific boosters will be available early in 2022 AND also Omicron treatments.
So, happy New Year folks, but stay home, isolate, and watch the ball drop on TV. And I doubt that people here in La, La land and elsewhere will take his advice - they NEVER do!
Old 12-30-2021, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers999 View Post
Most of the non vaccinated are young and healthy, a group that is low risk anyway.
Omicron has changed the risk to younger children vs Delta. Many pediatric hospitals are filled like never before with children with CV. Whole new ball game for them!
Old 12-30-2021, 11:34 AM

I should be immune to anything. Flu shot, covid boosters, shingle shots, tetanus shot, whooping cough shot, prolia bone shot.

Wonder why I feel scared to go outside?
Old 12-30-2021, 02:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Omicron has changed the ris read the story, k to younger children vs Delta. Many pediatric hospitals are filled like never before with children with CV. Whole new ball game for them!
Incorrect. If you read the recent story (and not just the headlines), you'd know that of the children hospitalized (for normal childhood things, NOT for Covid), many of them ALSO test positive for Covid, since they test everyone admitted, even if they are not admitted for Covid symptoms...

"However, he said, his hospital has seen a lot of kids test positive for Covid without necessarily showing symptoms or getting sick.

"We test anybody who’s admitted to the hospital for whatever reason to see whether or not they have Covid, and we’re definitely seeing an increase in cases. However, we’re really not seeing an increase in children who are hospitalized for Covid or in the intensive care unit for Covid," Offit said."

Child Covid hospitalizations are up, especially in 5 states

-Tom Petty
Old 12-31-2021, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Vaccine Efficacy: Data Shows How Shots Protect Against Omicron COVID Variant – NBC Chicago

This sounds like it is a much more factual take on the matter.

The stated sources in the article is Pfizer, Moderna, BioNTech and J&J. I see no external source for data review named in the article. The UK study covers 215,000 individuals. No numbers are offered in the Chicago article. I'll take a hard pass on calling this article factual about any booster efficacy change.
Old 12-31-2021, 06:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
I should be immune to anything. Flu shot, covid boosters, shingle shots, tetanus shot, whooping cough shot, prolia bone shot.

Wonder why I feel scared to go outside?
A few shots of Jack Daniel's may help.
Old 12-31-2021, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts

everyone just remember that published numbers are state and federal mandated highly summarized reporting. All of the details for severity, unique conditions, etc are in the EMRs for each individual, and is confidential. So conclusions from analysis with highly summarized numbers is prone to the error called Simpson's paradox,
Simpson's paradox - Wikipedia
is a phenomenon in probability and statistics in which a trend appears in several groups of data but disappears or reverses when the groups are combined.

Also please realize that anecdotal examples are generally not statistically significant, so if you are deducting a conclusion based on your neighbor's experience or story, you are cherry picking with your confirmation bias or anchoring bias. . . example, I had barely any noticeable reactions to all three pfizer shots, but that's my history of virus interactions, shots and genetics. your reaction probably will be unique to your history and genetics. if you did have an uncomfortable reaction, then you realize that there is a huge range of outcomes, just some are more prevalent than others. . . Also realize that if your Myers Briggs personality type has a strong J over P, and S over N, you will be biased towards a black and white, all or nothing, good or bad only interpretation of any data set. And if you believe the first article as truth, then you are using anchoring bias versus any valid research. . .

my point is keep an open mind, and realize the observer effect, Observer effect (physics - Wikipedia)
where observations (level of testing) can change the data and the interpretations, and that unless you are trained in statistical analysis, you are getting fed interpretations which may or may not be correctly interpreted.

and yes, coachk who looks and reports data to doctors and the states and the independent rating agencies for a medical system of several hospitals, she and I debate the data interpretations for conclusion validity all the time, she has an undergraduate in math, statistics and programming from the 80's and a masters in healthcare informatics. . . we debate interpretations all the time, me from headline data, her from detailed hospital patient records, and there is data in the public domain which isn't being covered but appears to have negative outcomes outside of the study goals, and therefore not studied, but concerning.

her point is that all the data is interesting, changing, incomplete due to summarization, and not black and white, not all or nothing, not all good or bad. Likewise, there is an element of financialization where the incentives affects the decisions / the data story as well as job security, wanting to please your boss's story s/he wants to tell, think govt jobs.

sportsguy and coachk
Old 12-31-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Vaccine Efficacy: Data Shows How Shots Protect Against Omicron COVID Variant – NBC Chicago

This sounds like it is a much more factual take on the matter.
Does anyone recall the number of %65-%70 to achieve herd immunity? I recall prior to the vaccine the only way out was herd immunity. It would seem we are well over the %70 number with vaccines and those who have had COVID. Where we lied to about herd immunity or has the goal changed?
Old 12-31-2021, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblue View Post
Does anyone recall the number of %65-%70 to achieve herd immunity? I recall prior to the vaccine the only way out was herd immunity. It would seem we are well over the %70 number with vaccines and those who have had COVID. Where we lied to about herd immunity or has the goal changed?
The 65% - 70% number was a guess based on the understanding of the virus at the time. Since then, more has been more learned about the virus and the virus has changed making the original guess moot.

According to information I can find, about 62% of those in the US have taken the vaccine. There have been something like 54M cases or about 16% of the population. Even if you simply added 62%+16%=78% the number is not "well over %70." But you can't simply add that way - many of the 16% are part of the 62% that are vaccinated, some number of the 16% had mild cases and did not acquire immunity, some number of the 16% were false-positives, and some number of the 16% died from their infection.

The 70% guess was probably low at the start and the virus has now changed to where the number needed is much higher. We are probably close to only 70% today which means we aren't close to where we need to be. With the anti-vaxers or vaccine-hesitant or those who choose to be misinformed, there is a long way to go.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 12-31-2021, 02:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,012 Times in 1,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblue View Post
No, the virus changed. Different mutations need different solutions.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
And yet 70% of all patients hospitalized with COVID are unvaccinated.
Anyone who is not contraindicated to be vaccinated needs their head examined if they don't get the shots. Just my opinion, of course.
Old 01-01-2022, 05:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Anyone who is not contraindicated to be vaccinated needs their head examined if they don't get the shots. Just my opinion, of course.
Never heard that word before. Another new word I have learned.
Would go well in a crossword puzzle.
At first I thought you had misspelled contradicted!
Old 01-01-2022, 08:13 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

It sure would be nice to know what is really going on since the start of this man made virus. So many opinions.
Closed Thread

Tags
pfizer, yesterday, villages, boosted, booster

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.