C pat

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2018, 10:10 AM
Default C pat

A friend would like to try a C PAP before purchasing. Anyone having one and wants to dispose of it. E Mail bjwdk1@embarqmail.com

Last edited by refeik; 11-24-2018 at 01:44 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 11-24-2018, 10:47 AM
Veteran member

do you mean c-pap machine to help sleep apnea at night? If one was ordered by the doctor, it probably means this person needs it, and should speak with his doctor.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:11 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

A CPAP Machine Can Help Some Get Better Sleep But Insurers Don't Make It Easy : Shots - Health News : NPR

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 11-24-2018, 11:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Jimmy from zyppah?
Old 11-24-2018, 11:37 AM

CPAP need to be adjusted by a professional.Not a good idea to use someone else's.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Plus. I would never feel that someone elses mouth and nose secretions were entirely gone.

Yucky.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Please heed my advice, since I do know something about it

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES get a C-pap machine from another patient. The settings can be complex and are different for every individual and need to be professionally determined and adjusted. Plus, any used machine needs to be professionally cleaned. You can get very serious pneumonitis especially if the prior patient was recently hospitalized. And thirdly, and the easiest to understand is-----YUK
Old 11-24-2018, 12:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

OP, you need to work this out with your doctor, if you are on Medicare, these are covered, no cost to you, and you may need to try one or more masks until you find one that works well for you. I think replacement masks are also covered, but not sure of this. My wife has been using one for years.
As for the comments above, these are prescription devices, and there are various settings that will be unique to you, so borrowing a device will NOT be a good idea, again talk to your doctor.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:27 PM
Sage

As an FYI tagged to this....our son in law uses one and our daughter bought him one of those C-pap cleaners (they've been advertised on t.v.). So it's imparative for these machines to be cleaned regularily by the users as well. I'd NOT want to try someone else's as Flying Eagles says...YUK!!!!
Old 11-24-2018, 07:21 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

Kinda like borrowing someone’s dentures maybe?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 11-25-2018, 11:32 AM

I agree with all of the above. They are calibrated for the individual user. If there is no choice but to purchase then ask Dr for a DME supplier that will rent. Most insurance companies that I am familiar with require at least 4 hours of use per day for 30 days to be in compliance so they will pay. I understand some have problems but I guess i was lucky and took to it immediately. Also you may have to try a few masks to get the one that works best for you.

Last edited by claricecolin; 11-26-2018 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-26-2018, 09:35 AM
Veteran member

If your friend went for a sleep study and it was determined that he has sleep apnea than a doctor can order the supplies for him. This therapy isn't something you try, you have to use it regularly to get used to sleeping with a mask. Once you get used to it you can't sleep without it. The newer machines do not need much adjustment after initial setup, my CPAP machine automatically raises the pressure when needed and than goes back down to the lower base pressure. My older machine was one set pressure and did need many adjustments, never was completely right. Mask fit is very important. Medicare and my supplement insurance paid completely for the new machine and replaces the mask, tube, filters every 3 months. Another nice feature is that I can monitor on my computer my sleep dynamics over a period of time to insure the therapy is working correctly. There may be a sleep apnea club here in TV that you can reach out to for more information. Don't try to borrow someones old machine to try, you will be disappointed and discouraged getting the correct therapy...
Old 11-26-2018, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Bill 32, a Sleep Apnea Club. I will investigate as this device is probably the best thing that ever happened to me. I would gratefully accept any further help that they are offering.

Borrowing a CPAP or BIPAP machine is the equivalent of borrowing a toothbrush. IF you are covered by insurance they will help you to use the equipment properly and there is a learning curve as far as getting accustomed to wearing it. It is worth it. If you don't meet a certain percentage of time that you wear the device properly don't worry they will take it back from you.

You probably won't be sorry, I can't tell you how much it has helped me. Good Luck.
Closed Thread

Tags
pat, dispose, bjwdk1@embarqmail.com, mail, friend

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.