Calcium Supplements Cause Heart Attacks & Strokes in Post-Menopausal Women

Closed Thread
Old 08-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany
Default Calcium Supplements Cause Heart Attacks & Strokes in Post-Menopausal Women

I'm getting afraid to take advice from any doctors lately. First they said eggs are bad, now eggs are good. Then butter was bad but margarine was good -- that's not true any more. Then HRT was the norm, and now hormones are a no-no. Now, they say don't take calcium. What's a girl to do? Check out this link:

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...%3Drss&h=d58ee
Old 08-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
I'm getting afraid to take advice from any doctors lately. First they said eggs are bad, now eggs are good. Then butter was bad but margarine was good -- that's not true any more. Then HRT was the norm, and now hormones are a no-no. Now, they say don't take calcium. What's a girl to do? Check out this link:

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...%3Drss&h=d58ee
I agree, it's really confusing. Saw that story that there is an increased risk for women and realized that I had already stopped taking my calcium supplements before the study results were released. Also decided to stop taking vitamins since there seems to be an increased risk for breast cancer.

Apparently that risk of heart attack or stroke is only from the supplements and not natural sources of calcium. Guess that means we're going to have to eat more ice cream....

Last edited by pooh; 08-07-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:52 PM
Sage

Ugh! I also have read that other vitamins and minerals can be harmful at levels too high. It does get pretty confusing when even things that are good for you aren't good for you.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Default Vitamin D deficiency is the major concern

This is from last week's issue our free health and fitness newsletter (we do not sell supplements or anything else).

"Dear Dr. Mirkin: Please explain the recent study showing that
calcium pills increase heart attack risk.

Calcium in pills, unlike calcium in foods, causes a rise
in blood calcium levels that could damage arteries. Also, excess
calcium in the blood blocks the conversion of inactive vitamin D to
active vitamin D, and lack of active vitamin D increases risk for
heart attacks. A review of 11 controlled studies involving about
12,000 patients found that taking calcium pills (at least 500
mg/day) without also taking vitamin D is associated with an almost
30 percent increase in heart attack risk (British Medical Journal,
published online July 29, 2010). Furthermore, most people take
calcium supplements to help prevent or treat osteoporosis. Taking
calcium pills without vitamin D has not been shown to prevent
bone fractures.
I recommend that you get your calcium in food; I do not
recommend calcium pills. If you feel that you need to take them,
take 1000 IU of vitamin D with each 1000 mg of calcium."

Here's a link to our newsletter and web site
http://www.drmirkin.com/public/EzineList.html
Old 08-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Thank you for the heads up. I pitched mine immediately. I love milk and cottage cheese but yogurt gives me migraines. Some green vegetables have decent amounts of calcium too.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany
Default Cow's Milk is Unhealthy for Humans

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Thank you for the heads up. I pitched mine immediately. I love milk and cottage cheese but yogurt gives me migraines. Some green vegetables have decent amounts of calcium too.
Green vegetables are much better for you than any dairy product, and have just as much calcium.

Think about it . . . we are drinking/eating breast milk meant for infant calves. The only reason cows' milk is so readily available is because the factory farms keep the females pregnant all the time. If you follow this logic, human breast milk would be more suitable for humans, not breast milk from cows! Yuk! You may not believe me that cow's milk is unhealthy for humans, so watch the following 3 videos.

This video was prepared by an 8th grade student and explains why milk is unhealthy:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTo5TulJLU8&feature=related[/ame]

This video is by Hard Copy television show:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMHvMAUDHj4[/ame]

This video is by a medical doctor who gives 6 reasons to avoid dairy (keep watching-- he gives a good summary at the end):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O-ehIkwGME[/ame]
Old 08-07-2010, 11:18 PM
Veteran member

What should I use with my cereal?
Old 08-08-2010, 06:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats2010 View Post
What should I use with my cereal?
Valid question.

I think I will continue with the milk.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:05 AM
Veteran member

I am getting the same question in the drug store. There is some preliminary evidence that suggests that women who take calcium for 5 years may have a higher risk of heart attack. This is based on speculation by some researchers that extra calcium may end up in arteries and make atherosclerosis worse or that too much calcium may lower magnesium levels and increase cardiac risk.

The known facts are that 1 out of 50 "older" women who take calcium or calcium plus vitamin D will be spared a fracture, and it is too soon to know if calcium will increase cardiac risk. What I recommend to concerned women is to not overdue the calcium. The literature recommends 1200mg from diet and supplements combined.

Barry the Pharmacist
Old 08-08-2010, 07:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Valid question.

I think I will continue with the milk.
I have been using skim milk for years. But the drugs will still be present, right?
Old 08-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Sage

Alas, I cannot accept some of the information presented, specifically Mark Hyman, MD. (I only quickly watched the other two videos, will watch them again later.) Some may consider him the authority on this particular subject, follow his recommendations and live happily ever after. Others may not follow his recommendations and live happily ever after. Genetics plays much of a role in how "well" we are. Of course, genetics alone won't keep us healthy, we must make sure we do our best to keep our bodies in shape. Remember, it's more than just drinking milk and that causing calcium to be leeched from bones.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Sage

Well said Pooh.

I only pay attention to large controlled studies published in reputable medical journals.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Veteran member
Default Mayo Clinic

Mayo Clinic cardiologist Martha Crogan says that another study refutes the one done in 2008.

Doctors today who are concerned about osteoporosis are still recommending calcium and vitamin D supplements.

Periodic blood tests will show if you have too much calcium in you blood.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Well said Pooh.

I only pay attention to large controlled studies published in reputable medical journals.
One of the largest, controlled, documented medical studies on the effects of consuming animal protein by humans (that includes milk) was conducted in China by leading U.S. scientists and nutritionists. The results of the study were repressed by the affected food industries, who have great influence on what information reaches the public. Money and big business drives what we are told is good for us.

If you want to learn more, you can read The China Study which is available in all book stores.

After reading this book and doing my own research, which includes my own diet, I have altered my way of living and feel much, much healthier. If I didn't share this information with you, I would feel guilty for being one of those people who doesn't talk about controverial issues just to spare being thought of as "strange".

The majority of posters here on TOTV are intelligent, well-informed, and open-minded people. Read the book, do some research, try changing your diet for a time, and then see how you feel. I am so grateful to the lady in Alabama who recommended this book to me; she changed my life and improved my health.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Oh, by the way, instead of cow's milk, we have substitued almond and soy milk, which is readily available in all grocery stores. But, we find that we don't use much of it anyway. Mostly as creamer in our morning coffee.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.