Alternative Medicine

Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Platinum member
Default Alternative Medicine

I am intrigued. Take a look at this MD.s website and tell me what you think and would you try some of his healing therapies for medical problems. SHIRLEEVEE-Under testimonials a girl with severe Lupus was healed. http://www.tahoma-clinic.com/articles.shtml Back in 1992 my father-in-law was diagnosed with lung cancer. I did a lot of research and found that in other countries shark cartilidge was routinely used for treatment with good results. Dad called it quackery. I called it an alternative he should discuss with his M.D.. He didn't. 3 months later he was gone. I recieve emails from Arcamax (a publishing site) and a link to this DR. was found there. Please tell me your thoughts. My hubby thinks it is a scam, and that I'm naive (he is his dads son!!), and it is proven that I sometimes am very naive......
Old 06-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Alternative Medicine

My opinion is "what ever works" I would contine whatever the Dr's suggest but add what ever holistic thins that are available. Who cares what helps!!!
Old 06-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Veteran member

http://www.quackwatch.com/04Consumer...ecorg/aqa.html

Alternative medicine is one of my favorite topics, out of curiosity; but I truly believe in prevention by healthy lifestyle. One of my favorite websites for research is quackwatch.com and upon my search of Dr. Wright at that website I ran across a lot of information.

The above link should direct you some interesting history regarding Dr. Wright's activities; or else go to quackwatch.com and poke around. The web site is HUGE and contains much information of anything related to the topic of health, medicine, doctors, quackery, etc.

As with anything on the internet, I can't vouch for the site's "truth" but at least, it's food for thought!
Old 06-11-2008, 04:50 PM

Alternative is the way to go unless you require surgery. Alot of the medications will only add to the problems. Checking online for true testimonials helps you to decide.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:05 PM

My humble input:

I am alternately enthralled with, and a times frustrated by present day medicine as practiced in western civilization.

The use of some of our technologies and medicines result in near miraculous improvements on almost a daily basis in my work. It is however a double edged sword.

There is no arguing that the practice of medicine is corrupted to some degree by pharmaceutical companies and their sizable budgets. As we have seen in the past and will surely see again, some medicines are not all they hyped to be, some even having side affects that may have been "brushed aside" during trials, some never quite living up to their claims. There are also some wonderful medicines that still do a great job but are now generic or even dietary supplements, and since they don't bring in vast quantities of money they fall by the wayside.

We as physicians and/or scientists must have some objective criteria by which to judge things and make decisions, that is after all the difference between science and faith. For many of us though the two don't have to be mutually exclusive. Can I honesty say that thousands of years of Traditional Chinese Medicine are wrong or have no validity? Even I am not that pompous . Can I say that therapeutic touch, acupuncture, and herbal remedies that provide relief to so many have no place in treatment? Of course not.

We all have to make our own decisions. I personally believe that we have been blessed with knowledge and technology and it is right and natural to avail ourselves to it. Would I use and "unproven" treatment such as shark cartilage, herbalism, or acupuncture as my mainstay of treatment if I had cancer , liver disease, heart disease etc.? Personally no, but I would definitely investigate them, and if my heart/soul/higher power guided me to proceed with them as an adjunct to treatment(and if they caused no obvious harm) I would proceed, as I have in the past.

I think we (physicians) would be fools to think we have a complete understanding of disease and healing; it is so complex, and there is no objective criteria to quantify or qualify the effect of faith, soul, and the spiritual nature of humans on overall health. We are however bound to some degree by the system we practice in...it does not require use to keep a closed mind though.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokinronda
I am intrigued. Take a look at this MD.s website and tell me what you think and would you try some of his healing therapies for medical problems. SHIRLEEVEE-Under testimonials a girl with severe Lupus was healed. http://www.tahoma-clinic.com/articles.shtml
I am a bit skeptical of testimonials used as advertisements. Perhaps I've read too many "I've lost 20 lbs in 2 days by drinking just one glass of yak milk".

I'd love to believe in Alternative Medicine. I've had a few friends with cancer try alternative clinics in desperation. Sadly, they're not with us anymore.

Still, anything that offers hope is worth consideration. And attitude and positive thinking are critical to any recovery.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.