Cataract Surgery - Has anyone been told they are not a good candidate for laser?

Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2017, 06:23 PM
Gold member
Default Cataract Surgery - Has anyone been told they are not a good candidate for laser?

Husband had cataract surgery. Loved the surgeon and everyone at the facility. But my husband was disappointed that he was told that he was not a good candidate for the laser. Said she could do it, but it would be a waste of money. Nice hearing a doctor say they don't want to take your money. But my husband was wondering if anyone else had been told the same thing. He is upset that he still will have to wear reading glasses (which they tell you that you will and it is rare that people can see to read without them). I thought he might feel better about it if he sees that others who had and did not have laser still have to wear reading glasses. He feels like he is the only one and that he made a mistake.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Me. I still can see fine afterward and am not wearing reading glasses now as I type.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:02 PM
Sage

Had laser surgery a few months ago. Was told the outcome would be better if I opted for the more expensive laser surgery. Distance vision is now great but my close-up vision is no better and possibly worse, so, yes, I need reading glasses. Note: I only required mild corrective lenses before. I think it's remarkable that the doctor told your husband what she did.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Had laser surgery on both eyes about fifteen years ago. I am now wearing glasses again. Doctor who originally did surgery and 2nd opinion both said enhancement would be a waste. I do not need cataracts done. So back to glasses
Old 04-27-2017, 07:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Perhaps it is because that eyeball is not the optimum shape...(round?) for this procedure. Is that called astigmatism?

I remember being surprised that my total bill out of pocket was $325 when friends had spent thousands. It could be we have fortunate insurance.

Dr.Jody Armstrong at Ocala Eye is our physician.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

I had RK surgery - radial keratotomy, back in the 1980's where they used a knife instead of a laser for my nearsightedness. It worked great and I'm happy I did it. Now, 30 years later, cataracts had come up and when I went to Mid-Florida , I was told that I would be difficult because the *slices* may cause uneven healing, etc. I did NOT opt for the laser, given the price and prognosis, but I did have the surgery. The first eye came out 20/30 or so, underpowed lens by a little bit and the docs (Panzo, Pieshke) suggested it was the RK impact. They put in a slightly more powerful lens in the 2nd surgery and.. it's fabulous. I can read without glasses when on the road now, though I do use reading glasses for fine print and reading books/computer at home.

Send a message if you'd like to know more. Eyes are very tricky but overall I'm very happy. Best wishes.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:49 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeo View Post
He is upset that he still will have to wear reading glasses (which they tell you that you will and it is rare that people can see to read without them). I thought he might feel better about it if he sees that others who had and did not have laser still have to wear reading glasses. .
If the standard IOL's which are fully covered by Medicare and private insurance are chosen, then yes, it is rare for anyone to be glasses free. And a lot depends on the degree of vision correction needed. Myopia can cause problems.
Premium lenses and premium surgical procedures can certainly increase the odds of better vision outcomes, but that does come with added out-of-pocket costs which are not covered by insurance.
I had moderate farsightedness and moderate astigmatism, consulted with 2 surgeons, and decided on Trulign (toric version of Crystalens) with ORA and laser assist surgery in September of 2014. My out-of-pocket costs totaled $4500 so about $2250 for each eye.
I am glasses free and quite happy with my choices.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 04-27-2017, 08:03 AM

The previous poster was right about astigmatism. If you have it, the laser procedure is required to correct it. The people who spent thousands did so to correct their astigmatism and to have an enhanced lens implanted. LakeEye offers three laser choices from $1600 to $3100 per eye. The most expensive is a multi-focal lens which provides correction for both near and far vision. The other two choices are for distance only. I just had my 2nd surgery yesterday and all this was explained in the beginning. I expect to still have glasses when this is all done. The person who got off for only $325 probably chose the Medicare covered lens and the $325 was for the Surgery Center (per eye).

My wife has her eyes done last year and chose the single focal lens, but she had one lens for distance and the other for close-up. Your brain makes the necessary adjustments. She had done this with her contacts for years, but I was told by the Dr that is approach was much more difficult for men than women (don't know why).
Closed Thread

Tags
laser, husband, told, money, cataract

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.