Cataract surgery Premium lenses

Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2019, 12:25 PM
Default Cataract surgery Premium lenses

I will be having cataract surgery in October and would like some first hand experiences and which lenses that I should have the surgeon implant on my eyes.
My insurance will cover the cost of the basic lenses but if I decide to get the AcrSof IQ ReStor lenses there is an additional cost of
$6,600. Is the upgrade worth the additional cost?
Old 07-09-2019, 12:46 PM
Veteran member

While we were still working and scrimping and saving to be able to retire a little early (and we really wanted to retire early and get down here!), my wife needed cataract surgery. Our health insurance policy basically said that A) they would cover the surgery but only the more primitive scalpel approach, not the cutting-edge laser approach and B) they would cover the lenses but only the cheap plastic marble ones and not ones that would actually improve her vision as opposed to merely restore her vision. We bit the bullet and went for the laser surgery with the step-up lenses. For here, there were two levels of step-up lenses. The first level would help her astigmatism and might even help her farsightedness. The next level up would "most likely" cure her farsightedness. We were able to swing the lasers and the first level but decided to stop short of the even more expensive second level. She had the surgeries, all went well, her astigmatism is basically gone, her distant vision is the best its been in years but she does still need glasses for closer things. Rather than stash pairs of reading glasses everywhere (which is my own approach), she decided to get progressive bifocal lens glasses. The top part is basically non-prescription and the bottom is for reading and staring at her phone. It would have been nice to have had the "perfect" vision (not that there were any guarantees on that) but her vision is the best it has been since she was a kid. Probably the only thing that has gotten worse is that she sees some halos around light sources at night so her night vision is perhaps not as good. Still, the operation was well worth it for fixing her glaucoma and the lens upgrades were worth it for the improved vision.

Of course, your results may vary. There are no guarantees to this. We can't recommend any local surgeons as this was done back in North Carolina. Good luck!
Old 07-09-2019, 02:44 PM

I am unfamiliar with that brand but I had one multifocal lens installed for $2800 at Mid Florida Eye. That was 2 years ago so perhaps there has been a price increase.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

My experience might be a little different than others'. When I go to bed, I prop my Kindle on my night stand, turn on my side, and read myself to sleep. Been doing this for years. Because I am nearsighted, reading close up without glasses is the best way for me to read anything. I had tried bifocal contact lenses, but they really didn't work for me very well in church, restaurants, and other lower-light reading situations.

When it came time for cataract surgery years later, my doctor wanted to correct my distance vision. She explained, however, that I would have to wear reading glasses. I said no because I wouldn't be able to read in bed on my side if I had to wear glasses. She cheated and corrected a tiny bit of the distance (I think because that was a stock lens). She said I would adjust, but now I have a slight problem, although not much.

My point is to think hard about your life style habits before making a decision. The people I knew who got the bifocal cataract replacement lens were not happy with them. They still had to wear reading glasses in low-light situations. That would have destroyed my nighttime habits.

I wear bifocal glasses now but have to take them off to read in most situations. (For instance, to type on this laptop, which is in my lap.) When I go to replace these glasses, I am going to ask for distance on the top plus no correction at all on the bottom. I have gone to different doctors and had multiple bifocal prescriptions, but the best way for me to read is with no prescription. It lets the most amount of light into my eyes.

This is just my experience. I'm sure others will have different results.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:10 PM
Default Upgraded Lense

I had mine done this past march. Paid $3100 per eye for the best lense. I don't need glasses for distance or most reading but my distance vision is not quite as sharp as it was with my glasses.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,223 Posts

Dr Wong has some excellent videos explaining the surgery and recovery.

Cataract and lens replacement day of surgery and postoperative instructions. 1-9-2018 - YouTube
Old 07-09-2019, 03:32 PM
Sage

In January, I went with the Symphony extended focus lens.

My situation was similar to Cfrance, so I selected to have the right eye to have 20/20 vision for distance and the left eye 20/20 for reading.

Distance vision is excellent, near vision is good enough in most instances but find two eyes are better than one for detail work or extensive reading, so I use glasses some times for near work.

I do experience some halo's and or starburst patterns with the extended range lens around bright lights. But vision at dusk and night is much better than before surgery.

Dr Wong videos
What happens during cataract surgery? Shannon Wong, MD - YouTube

2 weeks after symfony lens. First-hand experience from ophthalmologist - Shannon Wong, MD. Vlog #15 - YouTube
Old 07-09-2019, 03:57 PM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

Tough to think about cost savings when it comes to your eyes. My wife and I both had cataracts done - laser and best lenses. About $2600 an eye.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I had both of my Eyes done at Lake Eye. While transporting a neighbor to his visits I overheard many people who still needed cheaters to read after getting the best and most expensive lens.

When my turn finally came up I questioned the Doctor because I had every intention of going for the $$ Top Drawer Lens $$. He said there would be a high probability that for the Computer and for Reading the Cheaters would be necessary. At that moment I remember the disappointment I felt. I wanted nothing to do with glasses anymore. I would have been furious if I paid the extra money and still had to wear the Cheaters.

I took the way that Medicare Offered and only need Cheaters sometimes. Usually, its when I don't have them with me. The Doctor actually said, Don't buy any expensive Glasses just get the Dollar Store, Walmart Cheapos. It has made things so Vivid and was so worthwhile to have the Cataracts removed. I'm grateful that my Doctor, Dr. Wherle was so skilled and such a kind person.

I think things will work out for you and you will be one Happy Customer. Talk to your Dr. about what I mention and be guided by him or her. For me being guided by other patients worked for me. Wish you The Best!
Old 07-09-2019, 06:43 PM

My husband and I had Symphony lenses put in, an extra $3 thousand per eye at St. Luke's. We each can see without glasses exce[t for occasionally using reading glasses. Mike needed some additional tweeking, so he followed up with Lasik surgery which was included in the price. My only complaint is that it is more difficult to see in low light. We were so impressed with St. Luke's.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:48 PM
Veteran member

I had both eyes done several years ago up north. The dr. said I was a great candidate for multifocal lenses and that it would cost about $1500 per eye out of pocket. It actually cost about 3k per eye but it was worth it. (I was wearing blended bifocals before the surgery and they are not cheap.) I do see halos around lights but I seldom drive at night so that is really a minor annoyance.

With multifocal lenses you have a certain field of vision for close up. If something is too far away (farther than I would typically hold a book to read) than things are not as clear. The only time this is an issue (and a very minor one, at that) is when I play Mahjongg. I can see the tiles that are thrown on the table but they are just a tad out of focus. I have a pair of reading glasses that work fabulously for Mahj. If I look straight down (at my tiles or my card) I am not looking through the lenses. When I look at the tiles on the table I am looking through the lenses and can see the tiles clearly. I hope that makes sense.

Anyway, I absolutely LOVE not wearing glasses. I would choose multifocal lenses again in a heart beat. I am grateful that I was able to make a decision based on what was best for my situation and not on finances.

(As an aside, I was terrified about having the surgery but it was such a NOTHING procedure! I was worried about nothing.)

k.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:08 PM
Sage

As others have said, the improvement in vision is amazing. Colors and whites are vivid, it's like I was looking through brown tinted glasses before.

The procedure was easier than a dental checkup. The weeks of eye drops were the worse part 🤣.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

I got my first pair of glasses when I was in third grade. When it was time for surgery I was originally opting for two toric lenses. I eliminated the multi focal lenses because folks I talked to said that halo's and star bursting was an issue. After two examinations and measurements it was determined I could have one eye done with a toric and the surgeon could adjust the other eye and insert a mono focal. In effect mono vision. That was almost 3 years ago and have been extremely satisfied with the results from Lake Eye. Like everyone else, dealing with small print can be difficult depending on contrast but not a big deal. What is important is that everyday stuff, menu's, street signs, computer devices, newspapers are no issues. What is strange is occasionally, when I go to bed I still reach to talk glasses off.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-10-2019, 05:52 AM

I had my cataract in my left eye removed on June 18 and my right eye done yesterday, July 9. I had worn glasses since 1953, so wearing glasses was not a negative for me. I had slight astigmatism, but it was not bad enough to go to the Toric lenses. So I chose the laser surgery with the distance lens correction in both eyes. The distance vision is perfect in the left eye, and at 20 hours post surgery, I still have some blurriness in the right one. I expect by tomorrow it will be clear and perfect for distance also. My slight astigmatism has been corrected. I will have to wear glasses for near vision, but I really don't mind that. I do not need glasses for distance. Mine was done at Mid-Florida Eye.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:04 AM
Gold member

My wife had hers done 2 years ago and she now sees perfectly, close up and distance. She used to wear bi-focals. You only live once, if you can afford it, do it.
Closed Thread

Tags
lenses, cost, cataract, additional, surgery

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.