Cataract surgery Premium lenses

Cataract surgery Premium lenses

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 07-09-2019, 07:48 PM

I had both eyes done several years ago up north. The dr. said I was a great candidate for multifocal lenses and that it would cost about $1500 per eye out of pocket. It actually cost about 3k per eye but it was worth it. (I was wearing blended bifocals before the surgery and they are not cheap.) I do see halos around lights but I seldom drive at night so that is really a minor annoyance.

With multifocal lenses you have a certain field of vision for close up. If something is too far away (farther than I would typically hold a book to read) than things are not as clear. The only time this is an issue (and a very minor one, at that) is when I play Mahjongg. I can see the tiles that are thrown on the table but they are just a tad out of focus. I have a pair of reading glasses that work fabulously for Mahj. If I look straight down (at my tiles or my card) I am not looking through the lenses. When I look at the tiles on the table I am looking through the lenses and can see the tiles clearly. I hope that makes sense.

Anyway, I absolutely LOVE not wearing glasses. I would choose multifocal lenses again in a heart beat. I am grateful that I was able to make a decision based on what was best for my situation and not on finances.

(As an aside, I was terrified about having the surgery but it was such a NOTHING procedure! I was worried about nothing.)

k.

Old 07-09-2019, 08:08 PM

Location: at Charles MO, Durham NC, Bridgeton MO, Daytona Beach FL, St Louis MO

As others have said, the improvement in vision is amazing. Colors and whites are vivid, it's like I was looking through brown tinted glasses before.

The procedure was easier than a dental checkup. The weeks of eye drops were the worse part .
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2019, 08:13 PM
Sage

I got my first pair of glasses when I was in third grade. When it was time for surgery I was originally opting for two toric lenses. I eliminated the multi focal lenses because folks I talked to said that halo's and star bursting was an issue. After two examinations and measurements it was determined I could have one eye done with a toric and the surgeon could adjust the other eye and insert a mono focal. In effect mono vision. That was almost 3 years ago and have been extremely satisfied with the results from Lake Eye. Like everyone else, dealing with small print can be difficult depending on contrast but not a big deal. What is important is that everyday stuff, menu's, street signs, computer devices, newspapers are no issues. What is strange is occasionally, when I go to bed I still reach to talk glasses off.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-10-2019, 05:52 AM

I had my cataract in my left eye removed on June 18 and my right eye done yesterday, July 9. I had worn glasses since 1953, so wearing glasses was not a negative for me. I had slight astigmatism, but it was not bad enough to go to the Toric lenses. So I chose the laser surgery with the distance lens correction in both eyes. The distance vision is perfect in the left eye, and at 20 hours post surgery, I still have some blurriness in the right one. I expect by tomorrow it will be clear and perfect for distance also. My slight astigmatism has been corrected. I will have to wear glasses for near vision, but I really don't mind that. I do not need glasses for distance. Mine was done at Mid-Florida Eye.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:04 AM
Veteran member

My wife had hers done 2 years ago and she now sees perfectly, close up and distance. She used to wear bi-focals. You only live once, if you can afford it, do it.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:39 AM

Location: at Charles MO, Durham NC, Bridgeton MO, Daytona Beach FL, St Louis MO

The only regret I've heard anyone say is they wish they did it earlier.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I went to Mid-Florida Eye. I was a "special patient" because I'd also had radial kerototomies (pre-Lasix) performed on both eyes where a diamond knife basically cut my eyes into pie-shape slices to flatten the lenses. I was legally blind since I was a kid, mind you. The surgery then went great though as I got older, I needed glasses.

Dr. Greg Panzo at Mid-Florida Eye said because of the prior RK, they couldn't guarantee my eyesight improvement, even with the top grade lenses, so.. I went the more affordable route. I have subsequently needed a "YAG" which is an incredibly simple procedure on my right, poorer eye, but I can honestly say my eyes have not ever been better. Left eye is 20/20 and right eye is 20/25. I do still wear some progressive lenses but they're lightweight and don't bother me.

Do what's best for you and don't look back. best wishes.
Searcy, AR
Village of St.James, The Villages, FL

Tags
lenses, cost, cataract, additional, surgery