Cataract surgery + scar tissue afterward?

Closed Thread
Old 11-20-2018, 08:09 PM
Gold member
Default Cataract surgery + scar tissue afterward?

Have any of you had cataract surgery and developed scar tissue that had to be removed? If so, how were you able to see afterward and did that present any new problems?
Old 11-20-2018, 08:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

A friend just had scar tissue lasered off. Good results. A day of sensitive eyes, but had medicine.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:50 AM
Sage

Not sure what you mean about scar tissue. It's common (I've been told and experienced) to develop a "film" over the eyes after the surgery which is another laser treatment without the drops. Mine came about 3 or 4 years after the original surgery. I've also read that one can re-develop cataracts but that's rare, apparently.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:54 AM
Sage

What you are describing is called Posterior Capsule Opacification. This is a thin memberane purposely left in place during the surgery. It provides support for the implanted lens and a barrier for the contents of the rear of the eye moving forward. It can later become cloudy and your surgeon will open a clear window through it with a laser painlessly. Since the implanted lens is now securely healed in place the support and barrier functions are no longer needed.

Once you have cataract surgery, you can no longer get a cataract in that eye. However, I’ve heard some people refer to the capsule opacification as a “secondary cataract” probably to simplify the explanation, but we never used that term because if gives the impression we would need to cut again.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:58 AM
Gold member

Thank you everyone! Your information was very helpful. Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Closed Thread

Tags
cataract, surgery, scar, tissue, afterward

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.