Disposal of Expired Medications

Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Default Disposal of Expired Medications

Anyone know how to dispose of expired medications in Marion County? Do any of the local Walgreens/CVS take them? Thanks.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Platinum member
Default Safe in lobby of Lady Lake Police Station

There was an article in The Villages Daily Sun yesterday, May 12,2012. They had a drop off day May 04 in the American Legion parking lot. In the article, they say that since the first of the year, they have had a safe in the lobby of the police station (Lady Lake) where you can drop off meds. As far as county goes, nothing was mentioned.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:24 PM

I had my expired medications dropped off at the Lady Lake police dept. You can called them for information for disposal of medications.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:31 PM

I thought the article said Lake County residents only. I will call the police dept and maybe they can refer me to someplace in Marion County.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant View Post
Anyone know how to dispose of expired medications in Marion County? Do any of the local Walgreens/CVS take them? Thanks.

Have they really expired?

Bob

Drug Expiration Dates — Do They Mean Anything?—The Family Health Guide
Old 05-13-2012, 10:48 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

When my dad passed away (In Seattle) hospice told me I could take the pills, mix them up really well in coffee grinds, pour water on them so they were soaked, and then I could safely throw them away. My dad had thousands of pills left as he took about 35 a day and had about three months worth. It seemed to work good. I was so exhausted I did not look for other alternatives but this was their instruction.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:48 PM

Wow. Very interesting.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob45 View Post
As a pharmacist who worked in the pharmaceutical manufacturing industry for many years, I am very familiar with expiration dating. In fact, I was in charge of the stability program (the program that tests drugs and establishes expiration dates for them) for a large repackager.
A while ago, the VA did a test on some drugs in their warehouses that were 20 years old, and many were still good. Of course, these drugs were still in their original containers and weren't being exposed to air and moisture every day like our meds are. That is why pharmacies recommend that you use your meds within a year of getting them (beyond use date) or within the bottle expiration date, whichever comes first. If meds have been repackaged, they are allowed to put an expiration date of 6 months or 25% of the manufacturers expiration date, whichever is less. If they want to put more of an expiration date on the package they have to do their own stability testing.
Here's the problem....we know that drugs are good until their expiration date. We know this because they are being continuously tested at intervals through the expiration date. The drugs may be good beyond the expiration date, but we just don't know! I am sure no one wants to take a med and not know if it is any good or not. In addition, as some drugs break down they form possibly harmful compounds.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:19 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
When my dad passed away (In Seattle) hospice told me I could take the pills, mix them up really well in coffee grinds, pour water on them so they were soaked, and then I could safely throw them away. My dad had thousands of pills left as he took about 35 a day and had about three months worth. It seemed to work good. I was so exhausted I did not look for other alternatives but this was their instruction.
The other way is if you have a pet, and after you clean up after your cat or dog, mix the expired meds in with the pet poop. The idea behind the coffee grind method and pet poop method is to make any controlled drugs too unpalatable for drug abusers to want. I personally like the coffee grinds better because soaking the pills really makes them unusable.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:25 AM
Sage

I thought the issue with disposal was breakdown of the chemical from the landfill into our water supply?
Old 05-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Default meds

my doctor takes them back, tears off the label and gives them out to other patients, is this legal??? I should say he tears off my name and drug number. Leaves the name of the meds and the name of the drug
Old 05-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

Seriously? I do not think so. Also it sets himself up for being accused of taking narcotics etc that are prescribed to others and then used for self abuse. My opinion....Also I ran two Assisted Living communities and there are very strict laws that guide how licensed facilities deal with medications. I can only imagine physicans have the same or more stringent guidelines.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:58 PM
Sage

Back to the original question....where can folks dispose of their un-used medications? We live in Sumter Cnty and haven't read anywhere since living here (3 years) where to take them. Also used lancets for checking diabetes is another issue.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:13 PM
Default meds

well that same Dr. gave my friend a bottle of sleeping pills from his house, in a bottle with the name and number torn off, but his name was still on the bottle
Old 05-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Back to the original question....where can folks dispose of their un-used medications? We live in Sumter Cnty and haven't read anywhere since living here (3 years) where to take them. Also used lancets for checking diabetes is another issue.
I was told to take them to the fire stations. I guess the police would do also.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.