Chlorine in Drinking Water

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-12-2015, 07:23 AM
Nova Filtration's Avatar
Nova Filtration Nova Filtration is offline
TOTV SPONSOR
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Village Resident
Posts: 183
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lightbulb Chlorine in Drinking Water

The water here is treated with Chlorine as know,
here's an article on the health concerns I want to pass on FYI.

chlorine is a major cause of heart disease:

“Experimental use of chlorine to kill bacteria in public water supplies began around the turn of this century and was generally accepted in Western countries in the l920’s. Part of the chlorine reacts with organic impurities to form organochlorins (DDT is an Organo-chlorine) while the rest remains as residual free chlorine in the water. It may then react either with food chemicals or with parts of our digestive tract."

From 1920 onwards the explosive increase in the incidence of cardiovascular disease and fatal heart attacks began, but only in countries that chlorinated their water supplies. These diseases remained unknown, for instance, in China, Japan, Africa and ASIA. However, when Japanese citizens immigrated to Hawaii where water was chlorinated, they suffered the same rate of heart attacks as the Americans, and the black population in the US have the average US rate of heart attacks but not their brothers in Africa. Inhabitants of the non-chlorinated Roseto in Pennsylvania remained free of heart attacks unless they moved to a chlorinated area.

In 1967 a Dr J. Price in the US performed a decisive experiment. With one group of 50 three-month-old chickens (cockerels) he added one third of a teaspoon of chlorine bleach to about one liter of water whilst another group of 50 chickens served as controls. Seven months later over 95 per cent of the chlorinated group had advanced atherosclerosis, yet none of the control group showed any such evidence.

In the following years Dr Price repeated his experiment many times, always with the same results, and recently even researchers funded by the US Environmental Protection Agency have confirmed atherosclerotic type changes in other animals, including monkeys, when exposed to chlorinated water.”

Source


Our 4 1/2" X 20" 5 microns Coconut carbon (compressed in a block preventing bypass) filters your whole house from Chlorine to , at 99.8%, it lasts 12-15 months before change out.

Don't think your tiny carbon filter in the fridge protects you for real.

It is at best 15-20 micron effectiveness, moreover it is not coconut carbon but lose carbon granular.

.
  #2  
Old 03-12-2015, 03:32 PM
Villages PL Villages PL is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Belvedere
Posts: 5,280
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I put tap water in a small bottle(s) and let it stand for a while. The chlorine evaporates out of the water.
  #3  
Old 03-12-2015, 04:47 PM
jimbo2012's Avatar
jimbo2012 jimbo2012 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: LI, NY >Fernandina South
Posts: 7,186
Thanks: 68
Thanked 105 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Chlorine doesn't evaporate; it breaks down, aided by UV light (sunlight).

It takes about 24 hours for the water to become mostly chlorine-free.

But your real problem is Chloramine.
Chloramine doesn't break down in UV like chlorine, and can last up to two weeks.

chloramine will not, if you want them removed you need to filter them out (e.g. with carbon).
__________________
Nova Water filters | Solar Lithium golf cart upgrades
  #4  
Old 03-12-2015, 05:22 PM
Villages PL Villages PL is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Belvedere
Posts: 5,280
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Search: "Does Chlorine evaporate from tap water?"

I'll call the water department tomorrow and ask if they are using chloramine.
  #5  
Old 03-12-2015, 05:58 PM
jimbo2012's Avatar
jimbo2012 jimbo2012 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: LI, NY >Fernandina South
Posts: 7,186
Thanks: 68
Thanked 105 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Also ask them about the Tribromomethane (TTHM) levels, a byproduct of their disinfection.

their levels of 79.4 are at about the max allowed by the EPA of 80





.
__________________
Nova Water filters | Solar Lithium golf cart upgrades
  #6  
Old 03-17-2015, 03:51 PM
Villages PL Villages PL is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Belvedere
Posts: 5,280
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Also ask them about the Tribromomethane (TTHM) levels, a byproduct of their disinfection.

their levels of 79.4 are at about the max allowed by the EPA of 80
.
I called North Sumter Utilities this morning and was told that the TTHM levels are 4.03 to 13.4 . He also said they use chlorine gas which WILL evaporate if you put a bottle of water in the fridge overnight (leave the top off). He (Tab) welcomes calls at 753-1756.

The next annual water-quality report will come out around June.
  #7  
Old 03-17-2015, 07:42 PM
philnpat's Avatar
philnpat philnpat is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Clifton Park, NY and soon to be Duval
Posts: 809
Thanks: 32
Thanked 11 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova Filtration View Post
The water here is treated with Chlorine as know,
here's an article on the health concerns I want to pass on FYI.

chlorine is a major cause of heart disease:

“Experimental use of chlorine to kill bacteria in public water supplies began around the turn of this century and was generally accepted in Western countries in the l920’s. Part of the chlorine reacts with organic impurities to form organochlorins (DDT is an Organo-chlorine) while the rest remains as residual free chlorine in the water. It may then react either with food chemicals or with parts of our digestive tract."

From 1920 onwards the explosive increase in the incidence of cardiovascular disease and fatal heart attacks began, but only in countries that chlorinated their water supplies. These diseases remained unknown, for instance, in China, Japan, Africa and ASIA. However, when Japanese citizens immigrated to Hawaii where water was chlorinated, they suffered the same rate of heart attacks as the Americans, and the black population in the US have the average US rate of heart attacks but not their brothers in Africa. Inhabitants of the non-chlorinated Roseto in Pennsylvania remained free of heart attacks unless they moved to a chlorinated area.

In 1967 a Dr J. Price in the US performed a decisive experiment. With one group of 50 three-month-old chickens (cockerels) he added one third of a teaspoon of chlorine bleach to about one liter of water whilst another group of 50 chickens served as controls. Seven months later over 95 per cent of the chlorinated group had advanced atherosclerosis, yet none of the control group showed any such evidence.

In the following years Dr Price repeated his experiment many times, always with the same results, and recently even researchers funded by the US Environmental Protection Agency have confirmed atherosclerotic type changes in other animals, including monkeys, when exposed to chlorinated water.”

Source


Our 4 1/2" X 20" 5 microns Coconut carbon (compressed in a block preventing bypass) filters your whole house from Chlorine to , at 99.8%, it lasts 12-15 months before change out.

Don't think your tiny carbon filter in the fridge protects you for real.

It is at best 15-20 micron effectiveness, moreover it is not coconut carbon but lose carbon granular.

.
Your "source " link doesn't appear to be working.
  #8  
Old 03-17-2015, 08:26 PM
karostay's Avatar
karostay karostay is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Conn/Maine /
Posts: 2,724
Thanks: 110
Thanked 1,297 Times in 495 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova Filtration View Post
The water here is treated with Chlorine as know,
here's an article on the health concerns I want to pass on FYI.

chlorine is a major cause of heart disease:

“Experimental use of chlorine to kill bacteria in public water supplies began around the turn of this century and was generally accepted in Western countries in the l920’s. Part of the chlorine reacts with organic impurities to form organochlorins (DDT is an Organo-chlorine) while the rest remains as residual free chlorine in the water. It may then react either with food chemicals or with parts of our digestive tract."

From 1920 onwards the explosive increase in the incidence of cardiovascular disease and fatal heart attacks began, but only in countries that chlorinated their water supplies. These diseases remained unknown, for instance, in China, Japan, Africa and ASIA. However, when Japanese citizens immigrated to Hawaii where water was chlorinated, they suffered the same rate of heart attacks as the Americans, and the black population in the US have the average US rate of heart attacks but not their brothers in Africa. Inhabitants of the non-chlorinated Roseto in Pennsylvania remained free of heart attacks unless they moved to a chlorinated area.

In 1967 a Dr J. Price in the US performed a decisive experiment. With one group of 50 three-month-old chickens (cockerels) he added one third of a teaspoon of chlorine bleach to about one liter of water whilst another group of 50 chickens served as controls. Seven months later over 95 per cent of the chlorinated group had advanced atherosclerosis, yet none of the control group showed any such evidence.

In the following years Dr Price repeated his experiment many times, always with the same results, and recently even researchers funded by the US Environmental Protection Agency have confirmed atherosclerotic type changes in other animals, including monkeys, when exposed to chlorinated water.”

Source


Our 4 1/2" X 20" 5 microns Coconut carbon (compressed in a block preventing bypass) filters your whole house from Chlorine to , at 99.8%, it lasts 12-15 months before change out.

Don't think your tiny carbon filter in the fridge protects you for real.

It is at best 15-20 micron effectiveness, moreover it is not coconut carbon but lose carbon granular.

.
Would like to see someone with a pool or spa run a test strip for chlorine under the faucet and post the results
__________________
Don't take life Too Serious ..It isn't permanent
  #9  
Old 03-17-2015, 08:57 PM
jimbo2012's Avatar
jimbo2012 jimbo2012 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: LI, NY >Fernandina South
Posts: 7,186
Thanks: 68
Thanked 105 Times in 63 Posts
Default

The tap water is a bit less than 1 PPM chlorine (.81) according to the county.

Pool test strips can't measure in fine numbers.

U sure can taste it!
__________________
Nova Water filters | Solar Lithium golf cart upgrades
  #10  
Old 03-17-2015, 11:21 PM
blueash's Avatar
blueash blueash is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,630
Thanks: 163
Thanked 1,904 Times in 470 Posts
Default

Angina and coronary atherosclerosis have been described since the 1700's Cambridge Journals Online - Medical History - Abstract - DR. JOHN FOTHERGILL AND THE ANGINA PECTORIS

Recent evaluations of mummies from 3500 years ago revealed definite evidence of coronary artery disease in half of those investigated.

http://imaging.onlinejacc.org/articl...icleid=1110017

Attempts to replicate Price's data which were published in his own book and never submitted for publication in a medical journal, failed. No increased atherosclerosis with drinking of chlorine

Ingestion of chlorinated water has no effect upon indicators of cardiovascular disease in pigeons

So your history lesson is wrong. And the study you use is highly suspect. But I see from the user name that you are selling a product to save us from chlorine, so that may explain your motivation in the posting of this information
  #11  
Old 03-18-2015, 06:38 AM
tuccillo tuccillo is online now
Platinum member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,727
Thanks: 0
Thanked 146 Times in 76 Posts
Default

They use Chlorine and not Chloramine for disinfection in Sumter County so there isn't an issue with Chloramine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Chlorine doesn't evaporate; it breaks down, aided by UV light (sunlight).

It takes about 24 hours for the water to become mostly chlorine-free.

But your real problem is Chloramine.
Chloramine doesn't break down in UV like chlorine, and can last up to two weeks.

chloramine will not, if you want them removed you need to filter them out (e.g. with carbon).
  #12  
Old 03-18-2015, 07:12 AM
tuccillo tuccillo is online now
Platinum member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,727
Thanks: 0
Thanked 146 Times in 76 Posts
Default

Strictly speaking, TTHMs are Total Trihalomethanes, of which Tribromomethanes are just one of the the Trihalomethanes. Regardless, according to the 2013 Water Quality Report for Central Sumter, the TTHM levels ranged from 11 to 29.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Also ask them about the Tribromomethane (TTHM) levels, a byproduct of their disinfection.

their levels of 79.4 are at about the max allowed by the EPA of 80





.

Last edited by tuccillo; 03-18-2015 at 03:05 PM.
  #13  
Old 03-18-2015, 07:14 AM
tuccillo tuccillo is online now
Platinum member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,727
Thanks: 0
Thanked 146 Times in 76 Posts
Default

This is incorrect. Chlorine evaporates readily from water. You can leave it in your refrig overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Chlorine doesn't evaporate; it breaks down, aided by UV light (sunlight).

It takes about 24 hours for the water to become mostly chlorine-free.

But your real problem is Chloramine.
Chloramine doesn't break down in UV like chlorine, and can last up to two weeks.

chloramine will not, if you want them removed you need to filter them out (e.g. with carbon).
  #14  
Old 03-18-2015, 07:18 AM
tuccillo tuccillo is online now
Platinum member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,727
Thanks: 0
Thanked 146 Times in 76 Posts
Default

According to the 2013 Central Sumter Water Quality report, the chlorine levels are at 1.5 ppm. This is well below the max recommended level of 4 ppm. I have some limited range test strips (0-5 ppm total and free chlorine) and will test some water when I have a chance.


Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Would like to see someone with a pool or spa run a test strip for chlorine under the faucet and post the results
  #15  
Old 03-18-2015, 07:39 AM
tuccillo tuccillo is online now
Platinum member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,727
Thanks: 0
Thanked 146 Times in 76 Posts
Default

Your statement regarding refrig filter is misleading, at best. Loose granular carbon filters, regardless of the source of the carbon, are effective filters for chlorine and other compounds. Coconut-based carbon can be packaged as loose granular or compressed/extruded as a carbon block. It appears that you are confusing the source of carbon with the packaging. For all you know, the carbon in refrig filters is coconut based. While carbon block offers some advantages in non back-flushing applications, to suggest that a refrig filter will not filter effectively is just wrong as they typically clean up the taste of water just fine, although their lifespan is limited and they are expensive. A filtration effectiveness of 15-20 micros is fine as there is no evidence to suggest that finer sediment filtration has any benefit.

Regarding the size of the filter, the effectiveness is proportional to the amount of time the water is in contact with the carbon. For the very low water flow rates in a refrig, a small filter is fine. For whole house applications, a larger amount of carbon is needed because of the much higher water flow rates. Why you would choose to try to associate filter size with the quality of the filtration without considering the low water flow rates in a refrig is very odd.


[/QUOTE]

Don't think your tiny carbon filter in the fridge protects you for real.

It is at best 15-20 micron effectiveness, moreover it is not coconut carbon but lose carbon granular.

.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by tuccillo; 03-18-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 PM.