Coconut oil and Belly Fat etc.

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2015, 12:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
He has a new book...Wheat Belly, Total Health...much easier of a "read" and updated information!

Another beneficial one is Grain Brain by Dr. David Perlmutter.
There's always this perspective:

The Smoke and Mirrors Behind Wheat Belly and Grain Brain
Old 01-10-2015, 01:17 PM
Sage

Coconut oil and Belly Fat etc.
I use Olive oil. I never tried Belly Fat.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
It appears that these studies were of very short duration (28 and 44 days). And since it didn't say that they were double-blind studies, the result could have been a placebo effect. We simply don't know.

Was it the coconut-oil industry that sponsored the study? It's very possible because who else would care?

One study compared coconut oil with soybean oil. Why soybean oil? Maybe because coconut oil would be sure to look better by comparison.

One study said that coconut oil helps to make one feel fuller for a longer period of time. That sounds like total nonsense because it's the job of fiber to make one feel full and oils do not contain fiber.

If coconut oil is recommended for frying, why should anyone be frying if they're concerned with belly-fat or health in general?

The whole thing sounded like a coconut oil advertisement.
The studies were not funded by the coconut-oil industry.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:17 PM
Sage

Most people who have lost weight know that the first place you lose it is from your upper body (face, chest etc.) There isn't any food or diet pill that will cause you to just reduce your belly. It doesn't exist and it's a scam to suggest it.

It appears that a company can have someone make claims for them and get away with it as long as the company itself doesn't state it on their product label. To do that, they would have to prove their claim to the FDA with valid studies. If they make any unauthorized claim on their product label, the FDA would intervene and shut them down plus give possible fines and jail time.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:27 PM
Sage

The studies weren't funded by the coconut oil industry.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:48 PM
Default How about adding Cocoa Nibs to the mix

Compound in cocoa found to reverse age-related memory loss!!

"The findings suggest that the compound increases connectivity and, subsequently, blood flow in a region of the brain critical to memory, the researchers said."

I have been taking 1 tablespoon with my yogurt each day...currently on day 68 out of the 90 day "trial" discussed in the Washington Post article. Seems to have helped my memory and mood!

The one tablespoon of Nibs contains 1000 mg of flavanols at the cost of about 20 cents a day.

Compound in cocoa found to reverse age-related memory loss - The Washington Post

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EGSYJA4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AL5GSC2FM YVAD[/ame]
Old 01-10-2015, 03:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Most people who have lost weight know that the first place you lose it is from your upper body (face, chest etc.) There isn't any food or diet pill that will cause you to just reduce your belly. It doesn't exist and it's a scam to suggest it.

It appears that a company can have someone make claims for them and get away with it as long as the company itself doesn't state it on their product label. To do that, they would have to prove their claim to the FDA with valid studies. If they make any unauthorized claim on their product label, the FDA would intervene and shut them down plus give possible fines and jail time.
BTW, the dairy industry does the same thing. The FDA will not allow them to make any claims on their products like, "Helps build strong bones." That's because they don't have any valid studies to prove it. But the industry knows how to incentivize others to do it for them. For example, a dietitian or other third party might state in a newspaper column that, "Milk is rich in calcium." Now that may be a true statement but the problem is that consumers therefore assume that it helps build strong bones. Consumers get scammed like this repeatedly.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:11 PM
Sage

But the coconut studies weren't funded by the coconut industry.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Coconut oil and belly fat. New single by the Margaritaville guy?....whazzeesname?
"The weather is here... I wish you were beautiful." (Not you, Gracie)
Jimmy Buffet
Old 01-10-2015, 03:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
But the coconut studies weren't funded by the coconut industry.
That's all you have? I'm waiting for something substantive. Your statement above makes it seem as though I said they were funded by the coconut industry. I'm not sure who funded them but I know the statements about fullness and belly fat are a scam.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
That's all you have? I'm waiting for something substantive. Your statement above makes it seem as though I said they were funded by the coconut industry. I'm not sure who funded them but I know the statements about fullness and belly fat are a scam.
Nope. You are the one who made the claim that the studies could have been funded by the coconut oil industry. Go back up there and read your second paragraph in post 11. So I am waiting for you to back up your statement with something substantive.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:21 PM
Gold member

CFrance, glad you are not backing down!

Our nation developed a weight problem in the 60's with the introduction of the food pyramid. Check out childhood obesity rates from that time forward.

They were not increasing protein intake, they were increasing carb intake as the foundation of a "healthy" diet. That is when diabetes diagnoses started to spike, heart disease started to spike and our average weight soared.

The average American adult male today is some 30 lbs heavier than in the 50's. The average femaie is 22 lbs heavier.

Next we cut fat. Still disease and weight soared. Then sugar became the culprit. With more increases in disease.

The western diet, high in processed and unprocessed carbs is the most unhealthy diet of any continent on earth. The Eskimos who eat nothing but protein and fish blubber have less heart disease than we do.

For a very eye opening book, read "Food Rules", it is very good research and this man knows his stuff. If you look at our diets historically, you will see the obvious link.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post
CFrance, glad you are not backing down!

Our nation developed a weight problem in the 60's with the introduction of the food pyramid. Check out childhood obesity rates from that time forward.

They were not increasing protein intake, they were increasing carb intake as the foundation of a "healthy" diet. That is when diabetes diagnoses started to spike, heart disease started to spike and our average weight soared.

The average American adult male today is some 30 lbs heavier than in the 50's. The average femaie is 22 lbs heavier.

Next we cut fat. Still disease and weight soared. Then sugar became the culprit. With more increases in disease.

The western diet, high in processed and unprocessed carbs is the most unhealthy diet of any continent on earth. The Eskimos who eat nothing but protein and fish blubber have less heart disease than we do.

For a very eye opening book, read "Food Rules", it is very good research and this man knows his stuff. If you look at our diets historically, you will see the obvious link.
I agree, Dotti. When we were kids, if people wanted to diet, you cut out starch. The "perfect" diet meal was steak and salad. I don't agree with all the whole grain this and that at the base of the food pyramid.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I agree, Dotti. When we were kids, if people wanted to diet, you cut out starch. The "perfect" diet meal was steak and salad. I don't agree with all the whole grain this and that at the base of the food pyramid.

And it still is. VPL has you freaked out.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
And it still is. VPL has you freaked out.
Nah! Not hardly, db.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.