Cold that won't go away.

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2015, 02:12 PM
Default Cold that won't go away.

Has anyone had a cold this season that just won't go away? I've had this for about a week now and it just isn't getting any better. No fever but still coughing, headache, running nose and feeling exhausted. I had a pneumonia shot so I don't think it's that. So if you've had this cold how long did it last and does going to the dr do any good.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:49 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I heard three to seven weeks. Mine was three weeks and I considered myself lucky compared to some of the stories I heard. Nothing the doctor can do. It's a virus, not bacteria. Just watch the fever. If it starts to spike, go see the doc.

You have my sympathies. I just recovered from mine (used up three boxes of tissues in three days, coughed so hard my stomach and back muscles screamed).

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-15-2015, 03:21 PM
Veteran member

Best ways that I know of to avoid getting the flu and/or colds in the first place:

1) Carry your own pen and *never* use the store's pen to sign charge slips. Once I stopped using other people's pens, I rarely got viruses.

2) Keep small children and people who live or work with small children at least 3 feet away. Walking virus puddles.

3) Avoid shaking hands with politicians, ministers, and others who shake lots of (probably) unwashed hands.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:29 PM
Email Reported As Spam

OR place yourself in a bubble
Old 02-15-2015, 03:34 PM

My wife and I both had and it lasted 3 weeks
Old 02-15-2015, 04:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2cruise View Post
Has anyone had a cold this season that just won't go away? I've had this for about a week now and it just isn't getting any better. No fever but still coughing, headache, running nose and feeling exhausted. I had a pneumonia shot so I don't think it's that. So if you've had this cold how long did it last and does going to the dr do any good.

I am not a Doctor but I know one.

The pneumonia shot only protects you from a certain, very prevalent form of pneumonia. But there are other forms of pneumonia.

The upper respiratory virus that we had was a doozy. It came on suddenly and attacked your chest first and wiped you out for three or four days with fever. After that your sinuses were clogged or acting like spigots. I was so sick that I could barely force myself to drink fluids for the second 24 hours. After that the coughing and the headache and the tiredness. Lasted about two weeks.

I have heard of dozens of folks who had the same thing. I am NOT going to blame our seasonal residents for bringing it. I think it was someone from Miami that stopped in to see if this place was what everyone was raving about.

If you don't feel better soon, please see your doctor. We aren't any of us as young as we used to be and sometimes we need to see a doctor with a bad chest cold, maybe not for antibiotics but just to be sure it isn't turning into something else..

If TippyClubb hadn't brought us her high powered Michigan Chicken soup, We would still be down.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

There is also a stomach flu making the rounds. I was fine one minute and the next I had my head in the hopper calling huey ............... The vomiting stopped, but the bug stayed in my intestines for at least seven days and I was sick as a dog.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 02-15-2015, 06:07 PM
Gold member

Ours lasted two to three plus weeks. We just kept taking Ester-C, Zinc and Garlic Tablets. They usually work best at the first signs of a cold. If you're too stuffed up to be able to sleep, take Coricedin-HBP about an hour before bedtime. Sleep all you can. The cough can carry on a little longer. Chest congestion? Consider taking Licorice Root capsules. You can probably find them at GNC or maybe the Medicine Chest.

Xavier
Old 02-15-2015, 08:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

See above, mine lasted about 2 weeks, problem was the cough and sinus drainage lasted about 6 weeks, finally got rid of it, and now ITS BACK!!!!! Now I am going to an allergist, I think I am allergic to The Villages.....OH NO! I hope they have a pill or a shot.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:53 PM
Eternal Member

I've had this twice. I think it's from the pollen. It's all in the sinuses & throat with just a slight headache. I was coughing some with the sinus drainage. The pollen is really bad right now.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:14 PM

I have had a bad cough and sinus congestion for almost a month....I finally went to the doctor and he said I have a nasty cold, but also allergies...gave me antibiotic for my sinus congestion and cough medicine....the cough medicine is great and I have been sleeping through the night and my sinus congestion is clearing up.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:37 PM

Off and on for about 2 months. All of the above symptoms, thankfully at different times, but the complete fatigue is the worst. No energy at all. Add that to the terrible weather (in NJ) and it hasn't been a good year so far.
Don't be discouraged if you are doing all you can and it still won't go away. It seems to have an agenda of it's own. Just check with your doctor to be sure it doesn't get worse.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:37 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

Both my husband and I had the same thing, his wasn't anywhere near as bad as mine though. I coughed so hard it hurt and I was sore for over a week after it finally stopped. Mine lasted over 4 weeks and I still get a tickle in my throat that makes me cough. Luckily we had some super strong cough medicine (prescription) at home from quite awhile back and I used that and the major coughing finally stopped . Drink lots of fluids and get as much rest as you can, unfortunately it just has run it's course.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:47 PM
Gold member

I just started Friday with what I'm calling a cold but in addition, I have a variety of symptoms that seem to come & go such as nauseous, chills & headache. I feel exhausted even after a decent nights sleep. I'm taking, airborne, echinacha, which I know I spelled wrong, Advil, chicken soup, and a shot of Delsym cough syrup at bedtime. Hoping it doesn't linger on for too much longer.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:31 PM
Sage

Had that respiratory flu last Fall....lasted about 4 weeks. Felt horrible during the whole time with coughing/blowing and general malaise. Then a couple of weeks ago had the intestinal thing that's going around. Both of these came on quickly but lasted. The latter had me in the bathroom (w/o TMI) then stayed in my intestines (as another posed here) about a week altogether.

I haven't had the flu shot this year as supposedly it's only directed towards one strain...maybe. I had that flu, mentioned, before any thought would have been given to a shot anyway. The intestinal thing....it's just something that could have been picked up anywhere.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.