Colon Surgery moves on

Closed Thread
Old 12-26-2013, 07:52 PM
Gold member
Thumbs up Colon Surgery moves on

Based on my previous post looking for a colon surgeon and the 29 replies and 1409 views it received I thought it might be worthwhile sharing my experiences with you all as a type of "paying it forward" for any of you who may hit this hurdle in the future. I'll do my best to keep it light but informative and hopefully some of you will find it educational as well as entertaining. This will be written in installments as I move thru the process.

Here's chapter #1.
PLEASE keep up to date on getting a colonoscopy!!!!!!!
No it's not the most fun I've ever had but it's a must to keep this silent killer at bay as we age. Fortunately I've been a regular and my cancer was caught in the early stages. After my latest colonscopy the GI doctor announced that I would need to see a surgeon to remove part of my colon as cancer had begun to attack it. So I was scheduled for a blood test and then a CT scan to begin the steps necessary to meet with a surgeon. The scheduled date for the CT scan was postponed because United Healthcare hadn't O.K.'d the procedure and it was rescheduled for 4 days later. The day before the new date I called the Scan office to make sure they had authorization. Nope, they hadn't rec'd the clearance. With steam pouring from my ears I called U.H. to find out what the hell was going on. Now they tell me they never rec'd a request from the GI doctor to have the procedure performed. So then I calmly (not) move onto the GI office to find out who was doing what. 3 hours later I rec'd a phone call from GI office that it's all straightened out and that it was U.H. mistake. So don't be surprised if these snafu's pop their little beady heads up along the route. Finally got all the tests complete and then the search starts for a colon/rectal surgeon obviously trying to find the best one available. Thru many responses from you guys I had narrowed my search down to two doctors, one in Florida and one in NJ. I started it off by having my colonoscopy, pathology and CT results faxed to the two doctors and seeing that I was heading back to NJ for the holidays I made an appointment for the initial meeting in NJ with a surgeon. Before leaving for NJ I checked in with the Dr. to make sure my test results had been received and of course they hadn't. I then returned to the GI office with fire in my eyes wondering what had happened with such an easy request. Asst. said they must have had trouble with the fax machine that day so I stood there and watched him fax the reports again. Wow, no trouble with the fax machine today!!! Prior to my appointment I had mentioned to friends that I was heading to see Dr. Glenn Parker and I was flooded with nothing but good comments about his ability and history. In the week prior to my appointment I must have received over 2 dozen recommendations from friends, relatives and neighbors about what a great doctor he is. So now I head for the appointment with trepidation rushing thru my veins. So many questions and thoughts racing thru my little brain it almost made me dizzy. But thanks to all the great things I had heard I had a much more positive outlook on seeing this doctor. And then all of a sudden I was sitting in his office discussing my condition and the plan of attack. As he went over his credentials and history with similar surgeries he mentioned that he is the Chief of Surgery for the largest teaching hospital in the area. I had previously had two hip replacement surgeries at this Jersey Shore hospital and was more then pleased with the care offered. He just exuded a bedside manner that gave me just what I needed to make me feel at ease with the pending surgery. With no guarantee of what he was going to find but his promise that he would give me 100% of his efforts to return to normal health I shook his hand and said, let's do it. I mentioned that all my doctors where now in FL. and he assured me that his office would set up all the testing I needed in NJ and we would proceed with complete backing of his staff and himself. I actually left the office with a little spring in my step knowing that I had made the right decision to move forward. Pre-Op and Cardiologist appointments are set for the week of Jan. 13th and surgery is to be performed on Feb. 7th. I'll be back after the pre-op tests to give you a little more info on how all that goes. Hope this play by play will help others.
Skip 2

Last edited by Skip2MySue; 01-08-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip2MySue View Post
Based on my previous post looking for a colon surgeon and the 29 replies and 1409 views it received I thought it might be worthwhile sharing my experiences with you all as a type of "paying it forward" for any of you who may hit this hurdle in the future. I'll do my best to keep it light but informative and hopefully some of you will find it educational as well as entertaining. This will be written in installments as I move thru the process.

Here's chapter #1.
PLEASE keep up to date on getting a colonoscopy!!!!!!!
No it's not the most fun I've ever had but it's a must to keep this silent killer at bay as we age. Fortunately I've been a regular and my cancer was caught in the early stages. After my latest colonscopy the GI doctor announced that I would need to see a surgeon to remove part of my colon as cancer had begun to attack it. So I was scheduled for a blood test and then a CT scan to begin the steps necessary to meet with a surgeon. The scheduled date for the CT scan was postponed because United Healthcare hadn't O.K.'d the procedure and it was rescheduled for 4 days later. The day before the new date I called the Scan office to make sure they had authorization. Nope, they hadn't rec'd the clearance. With steam pouring from my ears I called U.H. to find out what the hell was going on. Now they tell me they never rec'd a request from the GI doctor to have the procedure performed. So then I calmly (not) move onto the GI office to find out who was doing what. 3 hours later I rec'd a phone call from GI office that it's all straightened out and that it was U.H. mistake. So don't be surprised if these snafu's pop their little beady heads up along the route. Finally got all the tests complete and then the search starts for a colon/rectal surgeon obviously trying to find the best one available. Thru many responses from you guys I had narrowed my search down to two doctors, one in Florida and one in NJ. I started it off by having my colonoscopy, pathology and CT results faxed to the two doctors and seeing that I was heading back to NJ for the holidays I made an appointment for the initial meeting in NJ with a surgeon. Before leaving for NJ I checked in with the Dr. to make sure my test results had been received and of course they hadn't. I then returned to the GI office with fire in my eyes wondering what had happened with such an easy request. Asst. said they must have had trouble with the fax machine that day so I stood there and watched him fax the reports again. Wow, no trouble with the fax machine today!!! Prior to my appointment I had mentioned to friends that I was heading to see Dr. Glenn Parker and I was flooded with nothing but good comments about his ability and history. In the week prior to my appointment I must have received over 2 dozen recommendations from friends, relatives and neighbors about what a great doctor he is. So now I head for the appointment with trepidation rushing thru my veins. So many questions and thoughts racing thru my little brain it almost made me dizzy. But thanks to all the great things I had heard I had a much more positive outlook on seeing this doctor. And then all of a sudden I was sitting in his office discussing my condition and the plan of attack. As he went over his credentials and history with similar surgeries he mentioned that he is the Chief of Surgery for the largest teaching hospital in the area. I had previously had two hip replacement surgeries at this Jersey Shore hospital and was more then pleased with the care offered. He just exuded a beside manner that gave me just what I needed to make me feel at ease with the pending surgery. With no guarantee of what he was going to find but his promise that he would give me 100% of his efforts to return to normal health I shook his hand and said, let's do it. I mentioned that all my doctors where now in FL. and he assured me that his office would set up all the testing I needed in NJ and we would proceed with complete backing of his staff and himself. I actually left the office with a little spring in my step knowing that I had made the right decision to move forward. Pre-Op and Cardiologist appointments are set for the week of Jan. 13th and surgery is to be performed on Feb. 7th. I'll be back after the pre-op tests to give you a little more info on how all that goes. Hope this play by play will help others.
Skip 2

Thank you for taking the time and telling us about this. It is SO much easier if or when such a diagnosis crosses our path to face it with a little more courage, when someone like you has explained it to us.

It is SO scary to be told you have cancer and I am sending continued love and support to you and thank you once again for thinking of all of us in the midst of your own challenge.

Bless you to pieces.

Gracie, Helene and all cancer survivors who are reading this send our love and prayers.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:03 PM
Gold member

[quote=Skip2MySue;801490][B]Based on my previous post looking for a colon surgeon and the 29 replies and 1409 views it received I thought it might be worthwhile sharing my experiences with you all as a type of "paying it forward" for any of you who may hit this hurdle in the future. I'll do my best to keep it light but informative and hopefully some of you will find it educational as well as entertaining. This will be written in installments as I move thru the process.

Skip, it's kind of you to share these steps with all of us. Finding the right surgeon for you must be a very reaffirming step toward treatment, I'm grateful you have found this Doctor. You're right about those regular colonoscopies, they're so important. Continuing prayers are being sent your way.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Godspeed.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:18 PM
Sage

Thanks for sharing your journey.

My mother had colon cancer in her eighties that required surgery. Because of her history, I started going when I was 50, and every five years hereafter, as this is vital for men. My mother history dictates 5 years. Fortunately, they have found me to be whistle clean, when a colonoscopy was performed.

My first doctor in CT used to get frustrated with nurses, who denied the test he wanted to run on patients, and he constantly fought with the insurance reps. He complained that some nurse, (a rep for the insurance company), would tell him, a doctor, what test were needed and would be approved. He thought to himself, you have got to be kidding, if you think, you know more than me. he quit his practice and unfortunately, developed cancer in three years. So sad, as he was a great doctor and a nice man. respected and like by all his colleagues. Dr. Zigmond was referred to as Ziggy.

I am confident this procedure will happen and you will be better for it. it's better to know what you are dealing with, than to not have it done, and wonder what is going on inside you.

Best wishes and prayers that everything will be alright.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-26-2013, 09:08 PM
Sage
Default Bless you

Thank you for sharing this very private journey. I'm sure you will give many others courage if they have to face this disease. I will be following your progress and stories and be praying that all goes exceptionally well, and that you recover more quickly than ever! Keep up the positive attitude.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:27 PM

Before I moved here, 10 years ago, I was diagnosed with cancer… I was advised by a friend whose family member also was diagnosed--folow up, follow up, get the info yourself, do not rely on the drs sending info to other drs… It is so aggravating but until I was finally settled with my drs I trusted, I went thru a similar experience. After I found a good dr, Then I could relax and know my drs would get the info to another dr, etc. But call and follow up,,,nothing more irritating than finding out your info was not passed on…Sad to say it is quite common, and the attitude of the insurance company also.. very common. You also need a person to come with you to dr appts because sometimes you forget, they are there to remember, take notes. This is important. It sounds like you are in very good hands..that's great. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:15 AM
Veteran member

Skip, we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:26 AM
Sage

Great post - wishing you the best during your surgery and recovery. Thank you for sharing.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:57 AM
Platinum member

Wishing you a complete and speedy recovery. Thank you for your post. It reinforces the need for checkups.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:09 PM

ah, thoughts and prayers coming your way for your journey.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.