Colony Care Center

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Default Colony Care Center

Has anyone been to this Center? Are the Doctors any good?
Old 03-25-2013, 07:16 AM
Sage

After waiting and waiting and waiting some more we finally received our "invites" and immediately went for our annual physicals. Couldn't be more disappointed. The 45 minute initial appointment was billed at $250. and consisted of the doctor typing information into the computer. Did ask if there were any recent concerns - expressed a few issues. Went back for the physical a week later and was told if I wanted to discuss anything I would have to make another appointment to do so. Thought that was the purpose of a physical!
I understand they are new a this, but my husband has already fired her as his doctor because of several things she missed i.e. testing his cholesterol levels, failing to mention from his bloodwork he is pre-diabetic, and not noticing on her own his blood pressure was extremely high that morning. He is on meds for cholesterol and blood pressure so why that would be missed to me is inexcusable.

Looks like an outstanding plan with poor execution. My visit was billed as an office visit not a physical so I will begin the arduous process of fighting with the insurance company to get this covered. Very disappointed and hope they can improve what they are now offering. I will also be going to a different practice. I prefer to see a doctor who talks to me and doesn't spend all their type typing on the computer.

Additional comment:

I have received some feedback from folks that have gone to Colony and had a wonderful experience with their selected doctor. I am hoping this indicates there is one in the group that is less than desirable and the system will work as promised. Deciding if I want to go back and give another doctor a try because I really do love the concept.

Last edited by gomoho; 03-26-2013 at 08:15 AM. Reason: add additional comments
Old 03-25-2013, 07:32 AM

My wife and I had a drastically different experience at the health center. We received our invitations were invited in for a history and allowed to select our physicians. My wife and I both had our introductory meeting with our respective physicians; mine lasted over an hour just taking my history. I was asked back for a complete physical the following week where all my medical needs were discussed and evaluated. A few weeks later I cut my finger with a razor knife and called the center. Instead of having to go to an emergency room or to an urgi care center, the physicians at the center took care of my finger and i received no bill. My insurance company, AARP United Health Care paid everything and I have never paid a penny. My wife had Preferred Care Partners and the only bill she ever received was for a co pay on a vaccination she received. It is very early in my relationship with this center but so far so good.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:08 AM
Platinum member

How does one get honored with an invitation?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:15 AM
Sage

We go to the affiliated care center in the Sharon Morse Bldg. Our experience was much the same as the 2nd poster here. Couldn't be happier with the "service of care". I went on to cancel a future app't with my former practioner and that had already been taken care of when the request for records had been sent for. We both have been VERY impressed!!! What's more..."IF" we ever have to have a hospital stay ALL of our records can be accessed from the doctor's office and vice-versa.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:10 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyquat View Post

Depends upon where you live. We went to an orientation session last week and are thinking of changing to this care center. I believe they said the Colony center is supposed to support residents of Hadley, Hemingway, Duvall, Sanibel, Fernandina and Charlotte. Not sure if those are accurate but the intent is to have care centers located around The Villages serving a certain numbers of villages.

As we were told once you enroll you have a 45 minute session scheduled with the doctor that you choose who will go over your records and of course then make notes in their system. It sounds like it is something we would like to have close by so we will look into it a bit more.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Our experience was also a positive one. My wife and I had 3 initial visits and blood tests done. The first was a clerical visit at the colony Sales Center to review and have our application entered into their computer system and to select our doctor. The second appointment was to meet the doctor and basically have a question and answer session. The third was the physical and blood test results. They also quickly setup an approval for and administered a shingles vaccination. They also processed for me a referral for a procedure I was due for. You know, the one you should get when you reach the age of 50? We chose Dr. Noel and both she and the entire staff were pleasant. We felt as much at ease with Dr. Noel as we were with Sylvia Wallace that was supposed to be at Colony when she left the previous practice but wound up with the Drs. of Bellview at the Morse Bldg. If things continue into the future we'll be very happy with this new service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk7951 View Post
Depends upon where you live. We went to an orientation session last week and are thinking of changing to this care center. I believe they said the Colony center is supposed to support residents of Hadley, Hemingway, Duvall, Sanibel, Fernandina and Charlotte. Not sure if those are accurate but the intent is to have care centers located around The Villages serving a certain numbers of villages.
You are correct on the villages covered except that Gilchrest is also on that list for a total of 7 villages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyquat View Post
Contact the office at 352-674-1700, let them know you're in one of the villages listed above and ask if you can stop by and pick up an application to join the center. They'll take it from there. That's what we did when we weren't receiving the application within the time frame we were told.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
I prefer to see a doctor who talks to me and doesn't spend all their type typing on the computer.
Expect to see more and more doctors, forced by the government's electronic medical records (EMR) mandate, having their eyes, ears and hands glued to an iPad, feeding it all your patient information to be federalized.

The only way to avoid it is for physicians to quit and have their own retainer practice for a subscriber annual fee (concierge medicine). They're already doing it so they can focus on patient care and practice the way they are supposed to: the doctor makes the medical decisions, not a high-school grad sitting at a computer screen reading the dr. a script of what he can/cannot do and get paid.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:02 PM
Eternal Member

I go to the Sharon Morse building with Sylvia Wallace. I'm very happy !!!
Old 03-25-2013, 04:30 PM
Default (concierge medicine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
Expect to see more and more doctors, forced by the government's electronic medical records (EMR) mandate, having their eyes, ears and hands glued to an iPad, feeding it all your patient information to be federalized.

The only way to avoid it is for physicians to quit and have their own retainer practice for a subscriber annual fee (concierge medicine). They're already doing it so they can focus on patient care and practice the way they are supposed to: the doctor makes the medical decisions, not a high-school grad sitting at a computer screen reading the dr. a script of what he can/cannot do and get paid.
Are there any doctors in The Village area that are doing (concierge medicine) ?

Quest to play every golf hole in TV is 91 % complete
Old 03-25-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk7951 View Post

As we were told once you enroll you have a 45 minute session scheduled with the doctor that you choose who will go over your records and of course then make notes in their system. It sounds like it is something we would like to have close by so we will look into it a bit more.
I stopped by Colony and was told TV was building another care center in Lake Sumpter. Did anyone hear about this? I live outside of the covered villages so I cannot go to Colony.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:36 AM

I live in Amelia. Can't wait to get one for us!
Old 03-26-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy327 View Post
I stopped by Colony and was told TV was building another care center in Lake Sumpter. Did anyone hear about this? I live outside of the covered villages so I cannot go to Colony.
The next two are Lake Sumter and Pinellas ( behind the library and service center)
Old 03-26-2013, 08:57 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy327 View Post
I stopped by Colony and was told TV was building another care center in Lake Sumter. Did anyone hear about this? I live outside of the covered villages so I cannot go to Colony.
I've attached a copy of the Villages Map issued in December 2012 showing the current and planned locations of the Health Care Centers. Also, I believe they are planning on expanding outside The Villages to the surrounding area eventually, probably not until the the current locations are complete at least.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Villages Health Care Centers.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	11617  
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-26-2013, 11:12 AM
Veteran member

I think the process is a pain, the care is still to be determined. I did not receive an invite. I called and was told to come pick up the packet. The packet contained a bio. for each of 5 doctors that are now there and a long questionnaire. I took it home and filled out the questionnaire. Called and was given an appt. to bring the packet back a week later. Went to the appt. and the lady scanned my ins. card and made a "get aquainted appt." with the Dr. I chose a week later. At the next appt. the a nurse took BP. weight, temp. and put me in a room. The Dr. came in and talked with me for about 30 min. getting history and entering it in the computer. I got a Shingles shot (ins was called to get pre-approval for the shot) and scripts refilled. I got an appt. the next day for labs and an appt a week later for a physical. Went in and had blood drawn and then for the physical the next week. At the physical the labs were gone over and explained to me. Then the Dr. examined me and told me every thing was ok. I made another appt. 3 months out for an issue that needs to be monitored. I don't know what the insurance was billed. I have BCBS and they usually pay for everything after my deductable is met. I believe the care is as good as I have been given elsewhere. One more thing that should be mentioned, the shingles shot is $250.00 I am told medicare will not pay for it. If you plan to get it see if your ins will cover it. Its effectiveness is up for debate. I was with another practice and in 3 years have had 3 different Drs., not by my choice the Drs. left the practice. The Villages Health is conveniant and golf cart accessible. I don't want to go to any Dr. but I also know my health is important.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.