Community and Close Contact Exposures Associated with COVID-19 ...

Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2020, 10:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,242 Posts
Default Community and Close Contact Exposures Associated with COVID-19 ...

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/...mm6936a5-H.pdf

Summary
What is already known about the topic?
Community and close contact exposures contribute to the spread of COVID-19.

What is added by this report?
Findings from a case-control investigation of symptomatic outpatients from 11 U.S. health care facilities found that close contact with persons with known COVID-19 or going to locations that offer on-site eating and drinking options were associated with COVID-19 positivity. Adults with positive SARS-CoV-2 test results were approximately twice as likely to have reported dining at a restaurant than were those with negative SARS-CoV-2 test results.

What are the implications for public health practice?
Eating and drinking on-site at locations that offer such options might be important risk factors associated with SARS-CoV-2 infection. Efforts to reduce possible exposures where mask use and social distancing are difficult to maintain, such as when eating and drinking, should be considered to protect custom- ers, employees, and communities.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	C83439BE-7498-49B2-8773-7588DE2825D8.jpg
Views:	2130
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	86235  
Old 09-11-2020, 10:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,242 Posts

Maybe I don't understand but very curious the report emphasizes restaurant risk when public transportation, church's and gyms are roughly the same risk, and bars are much higher.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:26 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

It maybe the proximity of contact, time spent enclosed and circulation of air, public transport may only be a 5- 10 minute ride wear as gym, churches, restaurants could be possibly an hour. Indoor air circulation is not cleaned/treated just move the virus around, airlines use HEPA FILTERS which clean and filter air. Wearing a quality MEDICAL GRADE possibly will help in different close proximity locations unfortunately it is impossible to wear eating or drinking bars/restaurants.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

So much worry, and constant trying to find something on the internet to make you feel good, or scare the crap out of you.

It’s a good thing that healthcare workers have a different outlook, being exposed every minute of everyday they are working. They look for the positive, know what is going on, and continue to live their life as normal as possible
Old 09-12-2020, 07:42 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
So much worry, and constant trying to find something on the internet to make you feel good, or scare the crap out of you.

It’s a good thing that healthcare workers have a different outlook, being exposed every minute of everyday they are working. They look for the positive, know what is going on, and continue to live their life as normal as possible
healthcare workers have regular infection control training. they also follow recommendations and guidelines unlike a lot of the general public.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
healthcare workers have regular infection control training. they also follow recommendations and guidelines unlike a lot of the general public.
Not really, wash hands, wear mask, the 6ft distance is a problem. A official infection control is same online 6 questions that are in November every year. The conversation “by the way that patient you saw 2 weeks ago just tested + for *************“.
No matter what is happening they roll with the same attitude, have no time to panic. Because it won’t change what they do everyday. Healthcare workers still tested positive no mater what their practice was

Last edited by asianthree; 09-12-2020 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Not really, wash hands, wear mask, the 6ft distance is a problem. A official infection control is same online 6 questions that are in November every year. The conversation “by the way that patient you saw 2 weeks ago just tested + for *************“.
No matter what is happening they roll with the same attitude, have no time to panic. Because it won’t change what they do everyday. Healthcare workers still tested positive no mater what their practice was
Health care workers are also taught to take seriously the fears of patients. Emotions come unbidden.

(Whichever you are of the two of YOU) One lives in Kentucky and grows vegetables and the other lives here and I haven't figured out who is Asian but that doesn't matter at all to me............. Thank whichever or both for being strong and controlled and in charge and brave and unemotional when you are working and endangering yourself for the good of others.

I so appreciate the strength of the nurse who stood with me while the needle was inserted deep into my chest to have my lung reinflated two years ago at TVRH. Her calm strength spread to me. I have always wondered if she fibbed a bit to me to calm me, saying she had had it done and it would be over in about two or three minutes. I don't care. It worked. We are all just people with minds that are there to sense danger and to protect us and our kin. We are just people who get worried sometimes for good reason.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:49 AM

Even after a vaccine has been developed, people will still come down with the virus. The questions should not be how many people test positive as opposed to how many people are getting sick, how many many people are in the hospital and how many people have died from it. Those are the critical stats that we need to decide how we live our lives.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:58 AM
Veteran member

Results are only from July and the count, 802, is very small.
I would like to see a count more in the 10s of thousands.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,057 Times in 2,742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick demis View Post
Even after a vaccine has been developed, people will still come down with the virus. The questions should not be how many people test positive as opposed to how many people are getting sick, how many many people are in the hospital and how many people have died from it. Those are the critical stats that we need to decide how we live our lives.
You are forgetting one very important question. How many people recover from the virus but have to live the rest of their lives with permanent impairments to their lungs, heart, nervous systems, memory, etc.... that’s what scares me the most about Covid-19.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:08 PM

[QUOTE=asianthree;1831804]So much worry, and constant trying to find something on the internet to make you feel good, or scare the crap out of you.

It’s a good thing that healthcare workers have a different outlook, being exposed every minute of everyday they are working. They look for the positive, know what is going on, and continue to live their life as normal as possible[/QUOTE

So well said ! And so needed to be said (pointed out) !
Old 09-13-2020, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick demis View Post
If possible listen to Steve Hilton (9/13) program called The Next Revolution. It's on the Fox News channel. Not a regular watcher and happened to catch it tonight. Such luck, he just happened to get into so many questions I have had. Being a "stats" person, I am constantly frustrated with the stats we get on the news with NO explanation of the basis, the standard deviation, just lists of questions I have had. Hilton answered many of those on tonight's program. The United States is actually doing much better than most people are led to believe when you consider the size, the total population, and then PROPERLY enter the percentage of tests in total, then run on positive and negative separately against the total population, and finally death rates, to be accurate you need to break it down, just like flu, preexisting conditions/deaths really need to be a separate field run to be accurate; otherwise you are publishing "numbers" many people have no idea how to interpret. It's interesting that Australia, which has no emphasis on the wearing of masks, also has one of the lowest incidences, but again, it says very little and means less. None of the CRITICAL numbers are revealed: does Australia have a generally younger population, or, is the population age range AND the percentages generally the same as the U. S. ? What is the percentage of our population in the U.S. with diabetes ? With heart disease ? Cancer rates ? What is the death rate to recovery rate percentages of over weight individuals, smokers ? There are so many variables that I can't even believe the stats they are constantly spewing every night on Fox, CNN, MSNBC, NBC, all of them, personally I think very few of the people spitting all this our each night have very little training or understanding of how statistics can be (legitimately) analyzed to show a very wide range of interpretations !

Last edited by Ladygolfer93; 09-13-2020 at 11:34 PM. Reason: clarity
Closed Thread

Tags
covid-19, eating, drinking, sars-cov-2, exposures

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.