Alzheimer's: Only a timy fraction of cases are caused by genetics

Closed Thread
Old 03-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Sage
Smile Alzheimer's: Only a timy fraction of cases are caused by genetics

This information comes from an article in The Daily Sun (Mar. 24, 2013, page A22)

Heading: For sisters, family history of Alzheimer's a concern.

The article states that based on current research, less than 1 percent of Alzheimer's cases are the direct result of genetics.

I think that's great news because it's another indication that genes are not our destiny. We are in control of our destiny. But what does it say about the average American's lifestyle that so many people develop Alzheimer's?

The same goes for cancer. Only a very small percentage of cancer is caused by genetics and yet most of us know someone who has had cancer. (But cancer is another story.)
Old 03-30-2013, 02:30 PM
Veteran member

I have a relative that is a physician involved in Alzheimer's research, this is all he does, based on many discussions I've had with him I don't believe the story. Alzheimer's research is severely lacking in funding and the medical community does not even know what causes Alzheimer's, there are many theories but very few facts. At this point Alzheimer's can not even be diagnosed definitively until after death and the brain is biopsied. If you get an Alzheimer's diagnosis while you are alive it's a "most likely diagnosis" but not a definitive.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive View Post
I have a relative that is a physician involved in Alzheimer's research, this is all he does, based on many discussions I've had with him I don't believe the story. Alzheimer's research is severely lacking in funding and the medical community does not even know what causes Alzheimer's, there are many theories but very few facts. At this point Alzheimer's can not even be diagnosed definitively until after death and the brain is biopsied. If you get an Alzheimer's diagnosis while you are alive it's a "most likely diagnosis" but not a definitive.
I agree. We are ten years into Alzheimer's with my Mom and after spending years going to different Doctors and reading everything about it that I can get my hands on, I have come to one conclusion.......NOBODY knows ANYTHING about this cruel disease!
Old 03-30-2013, 04:53 PM
Sage
Another alarming study that came out this week said that one-third of people living today will have Alzheimer's or some other dementia before they die.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:07 PM
Veteran member

My family doesn't come near to that 1%. ALL my mothers siblings, about 11 of them, got Alzheimers after about age 80. They're long livers into their 90's. My eldest cousin now has it. We're just all waiting until it's our turn. You can see where I believe there's a definite genetic component.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:44 PM
Veteran member
Default New Trials to Focus on Early Onset Alzheimers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWoman View Post
I agree. We are ten years into Alzheimer's with my Mom and after spending years going to different Doctors and reading everything about it that I can get my hands on, I have come to one conclusion.......NOBODY knows ANYTHING about this cruel disease!
The following links will disprove the article mentioned in the Sun and affirm genetics is by far the largest contributor to Alzheimers. There are certain other factors such as overall health and head trauma which are also important and one of the most significant other factors is age. Studies and clinical drug trials are soon to start to attempt to prevent the disease rather than treat it especially in early onset patients. These studies will be conducted in Columbia South America due to the almost certainity people will develope the disease if they carry a certain gene mutation. Early onset Alzheimers can start in a person as early as their late thirties. A Genetech drug identified in the fifth URL has been selected for the trial as shown in the Fierce BioTech document.

CNN’s documentary “Filling the Blank” produced by Felipe Barral is about research and hope for early-onset Alzheimer’s both in Colombia and the United States. It was filmed by cameraman Greg Kilday.

There are four parts to the documentary.

Part 1 Alzheimer’s disease: Fear and Hope.
Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Part 2 -Groundbreaking Alzheimer’s Study.

Part 3 -Waiting and Worrying.

Part 4 -The Search for an Alzheimer’s cure.

FDA to Alzheimer's researchers: Time to focus on very early stage patients - FierceBiotech

Have Scientists Discovered a New Alzheimer

Alzheimer's & Dementia Risk Factors | Alzheimer's Association

Last edited by KeepingItReal; 04-01-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:49 PM
Veteran member

One wife's crusade: Coconut oil helped husband with Alzheimer's

Article in Ocala Star Banner today.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingItReal View Post
The following links will disprove the article mentioned in the Sun and affirm genetics is by far the largest contributor to Alzheimers. Studies and clinical drug trials are soon to start to attempt to prevent the disease rather than treat it. These studies will be conducted in Columbia South America due to the almost certainity people will develope the disease if they carry a certain gene mutation. Early onset Alzheimers can start in a person as early as their late thirties. A Genetech drug identified in the last URL has been selected for the trial as shown in the Fierce BioTech document.

CNN’s documentary “Filling the Blank” produced by Felipe Barral is about research and hope for early-onset Alzheimer’s both in Colombia and the United States. It was filmed by cameraman Greg Kilday. They interviewed my family and me in September 2010.
Watch the trailer.

There are four parts to the documentary.

Part 1 Alzheimer’s disease: Fear and Hope.

Part 2 -Groundbreaking Alzheimer’s Study.

Part 3 -Waiting and Worrying.

Part 4 -The Search for an Alzheimer’s cure.

FDA to Alzheimer's researchers: Time to focus on very early stage patients - FierceBiotech

www.alzheimersblog.org/2012/11/15/scientists-discovered-alzheimers-gene/

Excellent presentation of facts, Keeping it Real. It is about early onset which is indeed familial (genetic) but the South American Study can't but help open new avenues for eventual light shed on all kinds of this cruel diseas as my friend KyWoman calls it.... I would hope. I would hope.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
This information comes from an article in The Daily Sun (Mar. 24, 2013, page A22)

Heading: For sisters, family history of Alzheimer's a concern.

The article states that based on current research, less than 1 percent of Alzheimer's cases are the direct result of genetics.

I think that's great news because it's another indication that genes are not our destiny. We are in control of our destiny. But what does it say about the average American's lifestyle that so many people develop Alzheimer's?

The same goes for cancer. Only a very small percentage of cancer is caused by genetics and yet most of us know someone who has had cancer. (But cancer is another story.)
In my opening post above, please take note of the exact words used (in bold print). Less than 1 percent of Alzheimer's cases are the direct result of genetics. Of those that are the direct result of genetics, there are only about 300 cases worldwide. I believe the rest of the cases are those that have an association with the ApoE4 gene. An "association" raises one's risk but is not considered to be a direct cause.

Most genes by themselves don't cause disease unless they are turned on by livestyle and/or environment. There are lots of people who have the ApoE4 gene who never develop Alzheimer's. That's an important clue that the gene itself cannot be working alone to cause Alzheimer's.

Being that genes can only raise our risk, it's my belief that it's our lifestyle that is the ultimate cause.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.