Contaminated Medical Device

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2015, 10:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Your data is quite old. A fiberoptic laryngoscope alone costs $15k plus. I've signed off on the purchase of at least 100 endo and colonoscopes in the past five years. With the new columns, etc a GI setup per room is outrageously expensive.

You are quite correct, all the internet research did was to confirm my existing knowledge.
Then I need to tell the company that I just got quotes for they are too low need to charge me more according to the totv.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Then I need to tell the company that I just got quotes for they are too low need to charge me more according to the totv.

New or refurbished?
Old 02-21-2015, 10:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
New or refurbished?
New the refurb is only $1000. Difference replacing 27 scopes and getting second ebis
Old 02-28-2015, 03:45 PM
Sage
Default Scope Maker Sued

An 18 year-old patient who is still in the hospital being treated for his infection is bringing a law suit against the device maker for negligence. (02-27-15)
Old 02-28-2015, 04:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
THE BOTTOM LINE is, as Bare points out.

That Colonoscopy and endoscopy saves lives and they show what is happening in your innards early enough to fix them..

My first one at age fifty showed some pre cancerous polyps that were removed immediately. My second was clear three years later and the one I had four months ago had three pre cancerous polyps. They too were removed. I have the pictures.

There was no after pain, no bleeding, when I woke up, I felt fine and ordinary and had no discomfort at all. The worse part is the pooping before hand and drinking a boatload of stuff to make you poop.

Please folks. don't let this not common incident deter you from having a very important life saving test.
You are so, so right, and I believe anyone pointing out these low percentages of things gone wrong is just afraid of either the procedure or giving over control of his body to someone else.

So far, my last two have saved me from cancer. I'm okay with pooping! And there are new preps that don't involve drinking gallons of glue. ( I wanted to say snot, but that's a little too graphic.)
Old 03-02-2015, 04:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
http://www.redorbit.com/news/health1..._us_hospitals/

The fourth paragraph in my link states 99,000 deaths per year from hospital infections. This was reported by the CDC. As far as I can tell, it's for 2006.
There are 99,000 deaths per year from hospital infections: If all those people lived in one place that would make up a fairly large size city. Over a period of ten years that would be just a few less than 1,000,000 people. And that's just from infections, there are other issues that cause harm other than infections.

No one is telling anyone not to get tested. And no one is saying that certain tests don't sometimes save lives. I have simply said that colonoscopy and other such invasive scoping tests are not for me. And I have made my decision based on calculations of family history and lifestyle.

Anyone who has a family history of certain health issues and/or lives a standard American lifestyle, should go ahead and get tested, if they so choose. It's an individual choice that adults make for themselves.

I haven't yet seen any concrete proof that there's more benefit than harm from colonoscopies. Of course lives are saved, and that's impressive, but why do we just conveniently forget the harm that's done and the lives that are lost?
Old 03-02-2015, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
There are 99,000 deaths per year from hospital infections: If all those people lived in one place that would make up a fairly large size city. Over a period of ten years that would be just a few less than 1,000,000 people. And that's just from infections, there are other issues that cause harm other than infections.

No one is telling anyone not to get tested. And no one is saying that certain tests don't sometimes save lives. I have simply said that colonoscopy and other such invasive scoping tests are not for me. And I have made my decision based on calculations of family history and lifestyle.

Anyone who has a family history of certain health issues and/or lives a standard American lifestyle, should go ahead and get tested, if they so choose. It's an individual choice that adults make for themselves.

I haven't yet seen any concrete proof that there's more benefit than harm from colonoscopies. Of course lives are saved, and that's impressive, but why do we just conveniently forget the harm that's done and the lives that are lost?

Your link is not active.

In my opinion you are wasting your doctor's time and ours too.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
Probably more people die from e. coli, listeria, and other contamination of "organic"-farmed vegetables fertilized "naturally"…..or by wildlife dropping in …..
Root crops and leafy vegetables have the greatest risk of infection from manure application to soil. They can also become contaminated through direct or indirect contact with cattle, deer and sheep. E. coli O157:H7 is most prevalent in ruminants in general and in cattle in particular (both beef and dairy). Other known carriers include birds, insects and squirrels. While the bacteria do not appear to make these animals sick, the animals carry and shed the bacteria in their feces. Drinking and recreational water have been carriers in several outbreaks, most likely from fecal contamination by infected animals or people.
Preventing E. coli From Garden to Plate
It's a good thing I don't buy organic "leafy vegetables". Apples were about the only item I sometimes bought organic. But I don't even buy them anymore.

However, as far as contamination goes, even non-organic vegetables can get pooped on by birds, insects and squirrels. It calls for conscientiousness in washing everything before eating.

Because it's possible to get sick and die from eating contaminated produce, it doesn't mean one should do something else like motorcycle racing or skydiving etc.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:28 PM
Sage

Another subject change.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.