Coronavirus in Florida

Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2020, 05:48 PM
Default Coronavirus in Florida

The state of Florida is protecting tourism by suppressing information about the virus in Florida. There have been more than a dozen cases in the state - the second largest concentration after New York. There have been two deaths - near Pensacola and Fort Meyers. Why don't we know where the other cases are located? We have an at-risk population in The Villages. We need to have more information. Maybe it is time for The Villages to pressure the Governor to provide more information.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Where did you read there are more then a dozen cases?
Old 03-07-2020, 06:15 PM
Sage

The latest information I saw was 9 reported cases in Florida. There are currently 6 states with more reported cases. The bulk of the cases are in the states of Washington and California. Are there more cases than have been reported ? Of course, since not every case has been diagnosed yet. Do you actually have any real proof to support your claim that the state of FL is suppressing information? There is really no need for you to be panicking. What you do need to do is follow the advice of the public health professionals on what precautions to take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibantwo View Post
The state of Florida is protecting tourism by suppressing information about the virus in Florida. There have been more than a dozen cases in the state - the second largest concentration after New York. There have been two deaths - near Pensacola and Fort Meyers. Why don't we know where the other cases are located? We have an at-risk population in The Villages. We need to have more information. Maybe it is time for The Villages to pressure the Governor to provide more information.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

Really doesn't matter where they are located, you have to start adopting new strategies and behaviors for minimizing your risk of exposure. Some simple measures are limiting exposure to large crowds, no handshaking, nor bumping elbows. Just think about sneezing into elbows and then bumping elbows. Shop at hours with few people in the store, and use hand sanitizers after leaving public places. There is much less risk with outdoor activities, which is favorable for TV life style.

Finally don't be selfish if asked to self quarantine. Its just like a hurricane, you stay away from the rest of us and then youcan come out when you have passed the contagious stage. Which really should include your family members as well, and they will probably already have it by the time you figure it out. Have friends drop off food outside the house, and you can retrieve the food shortly afterwards. Transfer cash via Zelle to your friends after getting the receipt. Its obviously a crappy change of life style, but that's the most effective method of halting the spread, until a vaccine can be found.

And you are ultimately responsible for your own health, and working together we can make TV much safer than the rest of FL

sportsguy, whose wife works at a research medical center . . .
Old 03-07-2020, 06:50 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Can't confirm the OP's post with an internet search so I hafta wonder if it was provided by the barber/hairstylist, a golfing foursome, from the pickleball court, a wait staff individual or a State Dept of Health employee. Staying tuned in awaiting confirmation.

Old 03-07-2020, 06:56 PM
Platinum member

Took me less than a minute to find the following:

As of Saturday, cases of the virus had been confirmed in Manatee County, Charlotte County, Hillsborough County (2), Lee County (2), Broward County (2) and Santa Rosa County.

The Villages Florida
Old 03-07-2020, 08:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

COVID-19 | Florida Department of Health

Check the Twitter feeds for Florida governmental agencies.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
COVID-19 | Florida Department of Health

Check the Twitter feeds for Florida governmental agencies.
I just love me some facts...from legitimate sources.

Quote:
Positive Cases of COVID-19

10 – Florida Residents

5 – Florida Cases Repatriated

1 – Non-Florida resident
Old 03-07-2020, 09:09 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,606 Times in 1,760 Posts

As I am avoiding airports and being on planes I am not taking a planned nonessential otherwise routine trip. I am considering using Mr. Spock's Vulcan salute as a salubrious manner of greeting.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-08-2020, 05:50 AM

Health authorities ALWAYS hide the "real facts", especially when Tourism $$$, and other businesses, are affected. It is why there are so many virus epidemics. We are at risk here in TV.. what is being done !!!
Old 03-08-2020, 06:12 AM

I think the state is reporting the facts accurately. In the bubble, with a vulnerable population, the last time I checked the death rate for men over 70 was 8% from the virus. But because most here are deniers, very few have seemed to change their behavior and support the president view that it’s no big deal. We were in a Korean airport 3 weeks ago, everybody wears masks and it’s a big deal
Old 03-08-2020, 06:37 AM

Doomsayers! So what are you going to do different if they say 9 cases and you say 2 dozen? I think the news media is over hyping the virus and creating panic. You are more likely to die in The Villages in a roundabout between January and April than from the corona virus. Wash your hands regularly, exercise, take your vitamins, and stay out of roundabouts, and you will get through this media scare. There are always virus's. Remember EBOLA 4 years ago and SARS before that. Hospitals spent millions converting special treatment areas that are now storage rooms.
Old 03-08-2020, 06:55 AM

Protect ourselves as it is the flu. Lordy we have been thru the bird flu, swine flu and two or three others that was mentioned on line the other day.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:12 AM

The Ebola virus was stopped because of contaminate policies and the development of a vaccine . There is no coronavirus vaccination and NO containment policies here in TV. People cough And sneeze without covering the cough, sanitizing wipes are not at many restaurants here, despite having a vulnerable population of elderly here.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:16 AM

There’s a lot of discussion about the virus, but very little information is being offered to us to really understand what’s going on. Recently, I was searching for some answers about the COVID-19. I stumbled on the WHO web site. There a daily situation report is published concerning the spread of virus. The reports are at www,who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports/
Closed Thread

Tags
information, florida, state, villages, cases

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.