Coronavirus in Florida

Closed Thread
Old 03-08-2020, 02:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Not sure what kind of Dr. you might be... There is no such thing as a contaminate policy. There are procedures to control and clean up contamination. And there are containment policies. If you are going to post using what might lead readers to think you are a medical professional it would behoove you to use the word you mean every time. Containment is possible with Ebola because its disease manifestations are dramatic and rapid and its transmission requires a significant non-casual exposure. Containment is not possible with an organism that has a longer incubation period during which the patient is contagious, many cases are of low severity or sub-clinical, and spread is possible from casual contact. Corona is not Ebola. The containment option continues to be viable in small confinable outbreaks, like a cruise ship. But once corona is in the community at large it will do what it is going to do. And that is the unknown. Will it be a mild disease in most everyone and disappear from circulation like SARS and MERS did? Or will it be intense and severe moving from town to town and become a true devastating pandemic like Spanish flu did 100 years ago. We'll know in a few weeks or months. I am thinking this will fizzle but you can't count on it and must prepare for the pandemic alternative. That means a well funded CDC, well funded state and local health departments staffed by professionals trained in public health and available epidemiologists and infectious disease experts. And perhaps that those guiding the nation's response to Corona not treat a visit to the CDC as a partisan campaign event.

The Ebola vaccine which you credit with arresting the disease has only been approved in the US in Dec 2019. So it had nothing whatsoever with protecting the US during 2016's Ebola scare. It, or a similar experimental vaccine, had been used in Africa in areas with endemic and epidemic Ebola to prove efficacy beginning in 2015 that vaccinated contacts and contacts of contacts to known cases. There has not been any widespread immunization campaign in Africa.
Thanks! Saved me the trouble
Old 03-08-2020, 02:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Nothing burger
Old 03-08-2020, 02:05 PM
Sage

Yes, but you cherry picked a statistic without providing context. Enough said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdoug49 View Post
Yes in China,but men over 70 are the most vulnerable. We don’t have death rates yet here in USA. But China contained the virus by quarantined 50,000,000. They closed down Macau, the gambling resort that’s bigger than Las Vegas. We can’t do that in America, which leaves elderly men vulnerable
Old 03-08-2020, 02:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

In the last week I have read more Horse Beep on here about The Corona Virus than I can stand. I patiently read each and every one of my fellow Villagers Cherished Thoughts and Beliefs on the subject. Somehow it even turned Political. We have opinions from a lot of the Big Spectrum of personal beliefs. I like TOTV'S because of the exchange of ideas.

Without going into detail I happen to be a person who is at high risk, not because of my age. I have picked Dr Mark Siegel on Fox News to listen to. I have decided to read the daily updates from the CDC and read whatever the World Health Organization has to say. I consulted with my primary Doctor and my Pulmonologist and a Dear extremely knowledgeable friend who is a Doctor of the highest caliber here in the Villages but not practicing anymore.

The Summary of all the conversations boil down to Use Your Common Sense. Wash your hand's. Shut out the Horse Pucky that you can accumulate from people who don't have a clue and live your life with the same precautions as you take to prevent getting the flu. When the Vaccine is ready I'll have my Big Azz first in line to get it but until then, don't live in fear. If by chance this doesn't work or I get the Big One and Croak then I went out doing the right thing in the best place. I'm only 61 but if its time its time. I lucky Nucky that I made it this far. (Its a long story)

I really wish for peace and calm amongst my many friends and few foes during this trial in front of us but lets concentrate on the problem and not add to it with Nonsense.

If none of that works then my last option would be: Love potion number 9, The Searchers - YouTube
Old 03-08-2020, 02:48 PM
Veteran member
Default coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibantwo View Post
The state of Florida is protecting tourism by suppressing information about the virus in Florida. There have been more than a dozen cases in the state - the second largest concentration after New York. There have been two deaths - near Pensacola and Fort Meyers. Why don't we know where the other cases are located? We have an at-risk population in The Villages. We need to have more information. Maybe it is time for The Villages to pressure the Governor to provide more information.
You are so wrong and an alarmist. California is by far number one. New York is higher and so is Washington than we are. We have to be careful but we are no where near the most viral state.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:52 PM
Veteran member
Default Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdoug49 View Post
I think the state is reporting the facts accurately. In the bubble, with a vulnerable population, the last time I checked the death rate for men over 70 was 8% from the virus. But because most here are deniers, very few have seemed to change their behavior and support the president view that it’s no big deal. We were in a Korean airport 3 weeks ago, everybody wears masks and it’s a big deal
Thank you for traveling to Korea 3 weeks ago and returning here.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:25 PM

If you look on the Florida Department of Health the info is current. FloridaHealth.gov
Old 03-08-2020, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts
Default Cerveza virus?

When I first heard of the Corona virus, I was sure that my formerly favorite beer (cerveza) was responsible for this horrendous virus outbreak. I was relieved that I had switched a few years ago to a different brand lite beer.
I have heard that hand sanitizer is getting scarce in the stores due to the hysterical scare, as well as paper face masks. Many are not listening. Paper face masks are for the "sick" to wear, not the healthy. Why do the surgeons wear masks in the operating room and not the patient? See what I mean. Seriously though, if you REALLY need hand sanitizer, try adding rubbing alcohol to aloe vera to make your own. I took it a step further, I immediately rushed to the ABC store, fully expecting a run on my favorite alcoholic beverage of choice, and was relieved to see plenty of it in stock. I have found that by imbibing plenty of strong spirits, I can circumvent worrying about having my hands near my face. Alcohol will kill any virus germs. Thank goodness I was smart enough to think of this before the impending rush to secure alcohol by my fellow Villagers. I felt it my civic duty to pass this valuable information on to you. You are welcome.
Point of fact, I had my last FLU shot in 1970. I have never had the flue that I know of. Could it be my precaution of sanitizing my internals instead of my externals? I believe further study is called for. I will continue to update you on my progress and results.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

OMG!!!! The sky is falling, the sky is falling!! 🤪🤪🤪
Old 03-08-2020, 05:48 PM

40000 die from the flu each year.... Get used to it.... If you are old with underlying illness it may be your time.wash your hands, stay away from crowds.
Old 03-08-2020, 06:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Ferguson View Post
When we approach the 27,000 annual deaths from regular flu, I will start to panic with y'all.
1: 27000 people had the flu last year. 27000 people did not die from the flu last year.
2: however, in 2018, over 50,000 people died from flu OR flu-related illness, worldwide.
3: you're choosing whether or not to panic based on faulty information. Good luck. You'll need it.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Ferguson View Post
When we approach the 27,000 annual deaths from regular flu, I will start to panic with y'all.
Exactly!!! This panic is so out of reason or justification! There are so many more things likely to sicken or kill us than this.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Ferguson
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
1: 27000 people had the flu last year. 27000 people did not die from the flu last year.
2: however, in 2018, over 50,000 people died from flu OR flu-related illness, worldwide.
3: you're choosing whether or not to panic based on faulty information. Good luck. You'll need it.
You usually do a better job with your information. Don Ferguson's post is correct in as far as it goes.
Your statement #1 that 27000 people had the flu last year is astronomically wrong. The CDC does a yearly estimate of the number of clinical cases of influenza per flu season, the last completed one being fall 2018 - spring 2019. The CDC reports 35 million cases and 34000 deaths that season in the US alone. This year so far has been less severe and seems to be waning.

#2 Worldwide deaths were certainly not 50 thousand. The WHO estimates yearly deaths at 1/2 million a year.

The FL dept of health is reporting about 250 deaths every week from influenza in the state. That's about a thousand a month in Florida. Don's posting that at least for now influenza is a greater real threat is correct. But, coronavirus has the potential to far exceed flu as a killer if it spreads like it did in Wuhan. It is too soon to know how corona will behave.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:24 PM

Ebola vaccine was first used in Africa in 2015 in numbers approaching 25,000. This was a prophylactic shield that slowed and halted the deadly Ebola outbreak

The Ebola vaccine was used in Africa in large numbers starting in 2015, starting the control of the outbreak

Last edited by Moderator; 03-09-2020 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:37 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud1949 View Post
Health authorities ALWAYS hide the "real facts", especially when Tourism $$$, and other businesses, are affected. It is why there are so many virus epidemics. We are at risk here in TV.. what is being done !!!
What do you want to be done? There is now a 'greeter' at Sam's Club wiping down your cart's handle when you enter.

Closed Thread

Tags
information, florida, state, villages, cases

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.