Coronavirus in Florida

Closed Thread
Old 03-09-2020, 09:09 AM
Veteran member

There was one each yesterday in Volusa and Broward counties .... 12 people out of 22 million.. You'll have a better chance of dying of a heart attack or golf cart accident this year ...
Old 03-09-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
In the last week I have read more Horse Beep on here about The Corona Virus than I can stand. I patiently read each and every one of my fellow Villagers Cherished Thoughts and Beliefs on the subject. Somehow it even turned Political. We have opinions from a lot of the Big Spectrum of personal beliefs. I like TOTV'S because of the exchange of ideas.

Without going into detail I happen to be a person who is at high risk, not because of my age. I have picked Dr Mark Siegel on Fox News to listen to. I have decided to read the daily updates from the CDC and read whatever the World Health Organization has to say. I consulted with my primary Doctor and my Pulmonologist and a Dear extremely knowledgeable friend who is a Doctor of the highest caliber here in the Villages but not practicing anymore.

The Summary of all the conversations boil down to Use Your Common Sense. Wash your hand's. Shut out the Horse Pucky that you can accumulate from people who don't have a clue and live your life with the same precautions as you take to prevent getting the flu. When the Vaccine is ready I'll have my Big Azz first in line to get it but until then, don't live in fear. If by chance this doesn't work or I get the Big One and Croak then I went out doing the right thing in the best place. I'm only 61 but if its time its time. I lucky Nucky that I made it this far. (Its a long story)

I really wish for peace and calm amongst my many friends and few foes during this trial in front of us but lets concentrate on the problem and not add to it with Nonsense.

If none of that works then my last option would be: Love potion number 9, The Searchers - YouTube
Well said …. an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Stay healthy.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ceasar View Post
There was one each yesterday in Volusa and Broward counties .... 12 people out of 22 million.. You'll have a better chance of dying of a heart attack or golf cart accident this year ...

Given that this is but the very beginning, of what none of us know will end up being the final numbers/tally, I posit that...it's waaay too early to make such pronouncements.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:39 AM
Default Government

What ever you hear, what ever anyone tells you it is up to you to take care of yourself, it is the government’s job to protect you, but the government can not protect you from yourself, use common sense and you should be fine. Sure we maybe close to each other here in TV. Take care of yourself and at the same time you will be taking care of your neighbors.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibantwo View Post
The state of Florida is protecting tourism by suppressing information about the virus in Florida. There have been more than a dozen cases in the state - the second largest concentration after New York. There have been two deaths - near Pensacola and Fort Meyers. Why don't we know where the other cases are located? We have an at-risk population in The Villages. We need to have more information. Maybe it is time for The Villages to pressure the Governor to provide more information.
If that is the case anyone who is at risk should stay indoors. Everyone else that does not have a weakened immune system will be fine, just use common sense.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

Given that this is but the very beginning, of what none of us know will end up being the final numbers/tally, I posit that...it's waaay too early to make such pronouncements.
I agree with you and I am sure most do, on this statement.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:35 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,376 Times in 499 Posts

For what it's worth, my daughter's neighbor who is a doctor at NIH told her that he expects that there will be many school closings in April.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

So, you can get something right, every now and then
Old 03-09-2020, 11:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
... snipped .... wait for the first case in The Villages to show up
I don't want to see it happen, but I guess it's inevitable.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I don't want to see it happen, but I guess it's inevitable.
Maybe, maybe not.

These viruses tend to do one of three things:

a) Fizzle out
b) Continue for a while but at a steady rate
c) Grow exponentially.

They all look like they are growing exponentially at the beginning, after all 1-2-4-8-16 is growing at 100% in whatever time frame. But even as more people are infected, the virus starts to run into barriers to continued exponential growth---natural immunity, social and geographic barriers, human intervention such as quarantine, etc. This one seems to have a long prodromal period and a low fatality rate, so it may be around for a while. Contrast this with Ebola, which has a short prodromal period and an extremely high fatality rate, so even in Africa it tends to fizzle out quickly.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
For what it's worth, my daughter's neighbor who is a doctor at NIH told her that he expects that there will be many school closings in April.
rumor has it at my grandchildrens school is they will probably close in June
Old 03-09-2020, 12:24 PM

I think it is easy to cross over to unnecessary panic. Even if there were 12 cases, at this time, that would be .00005% of the population of Florida. As mentioned in post # 4, there are some safe guards that can be taken and if someone is at high risk as is one of my relatives, then being more cautious is advised. We have family flying in tomorrow and I have no concerns about going to the airport. I have hand sanitizer in the car, and I will use hand sanitizer offered in public places. I will make sure to get lots of rest and personally, I am certainly taking vitamins and herbs that I think will help keep my immune system strong as well as making sure I eat as healthy as possible. Some people think we are over reporting to the point of creating a panic and others believe information is being hidden so really what any of us can do is to do the best we can to stay healthy and those choices will be different for each of us depending on our personal situations.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

I just received an e-mail from the Villages Rec & Parks Dept. A generic notice, letting us know they're in communication with the Florida dept of health, and the same standard precautionary advice given in the media; wash hands 20 seconds or more, sneeze into tissue and throw tissue away, avoid sick people, etc.

So the Villages Rec & Park department acknowledges it's a concern. Still no need to panic, but we should all be aware that it is, in fact, a concern, and we do, in fact, need to take precautions more than before this strain of coronavirus existed (coronavirii is not new - just this strain of it).
Old 03-09-2020, 12:54 PM
Default Facts? Or irresponsible posting??

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibantwo View Post
The state of Florida is protecting tourism by suppressing information about the virus in Florida. There have been more than a dozen cases in the state - the second largest concentration after New York. There have been two deaths - near Pensacola and Fort Meyers. Why don't we know where the other cases are located? We have an at-risk population in The Villages. We need to have more information. Maybe it is time for The Villages to pressure the Governor to provide more information.
What is this information based on? It sounds more like “let’s fault the governor” than anything based on factual information.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
The major news Media is only doing their jobs. Why are some always attacking the media? Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. The exception is the Internet (social media) - which definitely has “fake news” and actual deliberate false information. Thank God for a free press in this great country. You are correct we will get through this and there is no need to panic, however, our economy is and will receive a hit. BTW, roundabouts are proven safer than traffic lights. I know of no one who has died in a roundabout in The Villages.
Ironic how you quoted President Lincoln at the bottom of the post. President Lincoln closed down over 300 newspapers in order to censor their opinion. I guess folks have been attacking the media for a long time.
Closed Thread

Tags
information, florida, state, villages, cases

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.