Coronavirus in Florida

Closed Thread
Old 03-08-2020, 07:19 AM

Whether there are 2 cases or 40 cases, would that change how you do anything? I mean really, everyone is aware of it, just take your precautions.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:21 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud1949 View Post
Health authorities ALWAYS hide the "real facts", especially when Tourism $$$, and other businesses, are affected. It is why there are so many virus epidemics. We are at risk here in TV.. what is being done !!!
What do you base this on? What are you trying to accomplish by posting this here? I do not see how fear mongering is going to help. If you think information is being withheld go to those you think are withholding it, or self quarantine until you feel safe again.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:21 AM
Sage

The 8% death rate for men over 70 is actually from China, not the US. Keep in mind that according to the CDC, 70-85% of seasonal flu deaths occur in people over 65.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdoug49 View Post
I think the state is reporting the facts accurately. In the bubble, with a vulnerable population, the last time I checked the death rate for men over 70 was 8% from the virus. But because most here are deniers, very few have seemed to change their behavior and support the president view that it’s no big deal. We were in a Korean airport 3 weeks ago, everybody wears masks and it’s a big deal
Old 03-08-2020, 07:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye_wolfe View Post
There’s a lot of discussion about the virus, but very little information is being offered to us to really understand what’s going on. Recently, I was searching for some answers about the COVID-19. I stumbled on the WHO web site. There a daily situation report is published concerning the spread of virus. The reports are at www,who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports/
You have to look...……………..here is one of the best sources. Even get updates on a map in real time. Enjoy!
Johns Hopkins Medicine, based in Baltimore, Maryland
Old 03-08-2020, 07:32 AM
Veteran member

Don't French kiss. Wash your hands . relax.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:49 AM

Yes in China,but men over 70 are the most vulnerable. We don’t have death rates yet here in USA. But China contained the virus by quarantined 50,000,000. They closed down Macau, the gambling resort that’s bigger than Las Vegas. We can’t do that in America, which leaves elderly men vulnerable
Old 03-08-2020, 07:56 AM

Great advice

Stewiegal
Old 03-08-2020, 08:09 AM

first sentence is soooooo true in my opinion. government is constantly with holding info from us .
Old 03-08-2020, 08:20 AM

What is being done!!!!! You protect YOURSELF.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:21 AM

People with covid-19 Don't sneeze. It is purely a lung infection. Shopping when the majority of people are not present doesn't prevent infection. The virus remains viable on any surface it is on for 9 to 12 hours. The virus is transmitted on your hands.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:22 AM

I'm not saying don't be concerned about COVID-19, but I'm just curious as to whether many who are exceedingly concerned might not be living their lives in a healthy fashion, otherwise. I'm talking about the common things like obesity, heart disease, etc., that might be exacerbated by everyday living choices. Maybe a few too many retirement cocktails?

No one's perfect - I'm certainly not - but the attention to this particular virus does seem to be over the top, to me. I did a quick check to see what were the common causes of death in Florida (statewide), and found the most recent listing from 2018. Influenza/pneumonia deaths totaled some 3,000+ statewide that year. Heart disease, cancer, stroke, unintentional injury, chronic lower respiratory disease, Alzheimer's, diabetes, suicide, liver disease and nephritis/neprhrotic syndrome/nephrosis (kidney disease) all came in higher in numbers...the top three very, very significantly higher. Heart disease, for example, clocked in at ~47,000 deaths.

Leading Causes of Death Statewide In Florida

The stats tell me two things: first, that influenza type deaths are in the thousands, annually in Florida. Secondly, there are major diseases that many people can do much to avoid or ameliorate that take many, many lives. Lifestyle choices could conceivably help individuals in that regard.

Bottom line: if you're overly-worried about COVID-19, where do you stand in other areas that you can make controlled choices in? This is the disconnect that I've witnessed in my own travels and in conversations. I can see some who are very seriously overweight, for example, worrying more about COVID-19 than the obvious strains on their own bodies from too much food, etc., and too little exercise. It might be time to reassess.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:36 AM
Default https://ncov2019.live/data

Coronavirus Dashboard

Old 03-08-2020, 08:53 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook
Angry

virus is not going away by lying about numbers and ignoring the truth
Old 03-08-2020, 09:04 AM

Whatever you believe about the facts and numbers about the cases in the state, what will you do when there are confirmed cases in The Villages?
Old 03-08-2020, 09:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

If you think about the healthcare industry, the industry is 95% of the time, reactionary to your condition. 5% are childhood vaccines, which is proactive and preventative. Otherwise, you are in a free country, and you generally don't ever have to go to a doctor or be test, until something happens. In a totalitarian regime, without a medical system, you are at the discretion of the government which wants to be in control, and has no empathy nor responsibility for its citizens, so don't expect real or truthful statistics, which the US government can rely. So data and information will have to wait to be collected and processed by non totalitarian goverments with medical systems for the population

With a novel, meaning never having been seen before, virus, which is believed to have a mortality rate of 50 to 100 times higher than the seasonal flue with a vaccine, to prevent the spread requires preventative measures, which is the sole function of the CDC. However, the CDC requires data before making requirements, which is again reactionary. ie, how many humans had to perish before air planes are as safe as they are today? again, all a reaction function to increase safety. Right now, data to information is in relatively short supply. The movie "Contagion" is a very good representation of how the lack of information, which is natural, creates fear of the unknown, which is a reaction in humans hard wired to preserve the species, and can only be solved with data, then analysis, then information. This scenario plays out over and over again in human history.

And yes, by definition, the situation will get worse in terms of data but that is a natural response function to data to a virus which spreads at an exponential rate. The next two months will be very scary data and information wise.

From the Chinese CDC, their release of data shows an exponential mortality rate curve as well, however, tipped very steeply higher at the age groups above 60. So just with that limited information, the villages is at high risk of mortality if the residents don't adopt a preventative, pro active approach together. Difficult of course because humans don't like their lifestyle interrupted, but your individual outcome is mostly dependent on you and partially dependent on all of us being smart and not selfish for a relatively short period of time. And if the virus gets into an elderly assisted living facility, there is a high probability of a cluster of unfavorable outcomes.

sportsguy and coachK
Closed Thread

Tags
information, florida, state, villages, cases

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.