Coronavirus in Florida

Closed Thread
Old 03-09-2020, 06:24 PM

For those of you who think this is a hoax, senator ted Cruz, republican of Texas, is now in self quarantine
Old 03-10-2020, 06:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,902 Times in 914 Posts

I don't know how to get picture links to show up. . ..
The Villages Florida

Last edited by CoachKandSportsguy; 03-10-2020 at 06:53 AM. Reason: keyboard operator error
Old 03-10-2020, 08:20 AM
Default It’s an evil conspiracy!!!

Nobody has been more more upfront and open about Covid 19 in FL than Governor De Santis. I suggest you expand your news options past MSDNC or CNNLOL.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:45 AM
Sage

Where did you get that from? I don't know anyone who even remotely considers the coronavirus a hoax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdoug49 View Post
For those of you who think this is a hoax, senator ted Cruz, republican of Texas, is now in self quarantine
Old 03-10-2020, 09:00 AM
Platinum member

The Villages is a community of over 100,000 senior citizens. To say the flu kills more is to downplay the fact that the flu is not a novel virus....the flu shot helps and our continued exposures to flu over the years helps. COVID19 is a novel virus so none of us have a immunity. I would say there is a considerable number of our community with heart disease, diabetes, copd, etc. so more at risk. I shudder to think what the consequences would be if it started spreading here. While I believe in common sense, I also believe in minimizing my risks right now. Should I hear about any cases in The Villages, I will up my vigilance. My hope is that we will be told if there are cases diagnosed here but I'm concerned that news may not be shared because of the potential economic impact.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:15 AM
Sage

If you have any evidence of a lack of transparency, or the intention to be non-transparent, by either Federal or State Health Officials then please state the evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
The Villages is a community of over 100,000 senior citizens. To say the flu kills more is to downplay the fact that the flu is not a novel virus....the flu shot helps and our continued exposures to flu over the years helps. COVID19 is a novel virus so none of us have a immunity. I would say there is a considerable number of our community with heart disease, diabetes, copd, etc. so more at risk. I shudder to think what the consequences would be if it started spreading here. While I believe in common sense, I also believe in minimizing my risks right now. Should I hear about any cases in The Villages, I will up my vigilance. My hope is that we will be told if there are cases diagnosed here but I'm concerned that news may not be shared because of the potential economic impact.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:57 AM
Platinum member

I said it is MY concern, (as a former govt. employee I have witnessed instances where "facts" have been spun) but I'm not speaking for anyone else. However, I feel there has been ample evidence by the administration to downplay the possible severity of the problem because of the impact on the stock market and to protect some industries.

from a Fox News site: Dr. Peter Hotez, dean of tropical medicine at Baylor College of Medicine, this week warned U.S. lawmakers against minimizing the viruses risk for vulnerable people. During a Congressional hearing, he said the coronavirus “is like the angel of death for older individuals.

per Ron DeSantis: “If you’re elderly or you have a serious, underlying medical condition, don’t get on a cruise ship right now. Don’t get on a long flight where you could be exposed to the virus. Take certain steps to do what they call social distancing,” DeSantis said.

So at least DeSantis is going beyond the party line regarding flying. Although the administration denies it, it has been reported (again even on Fox News) that the CDC recommended all seniors not fly if it could be avoided but the White House did not want to say that (and Pence tweeted that was not true)....it's up to everyone to decide which they believe.

heck even Tucker Carlson said this: “People you trust, people you probably voted for, have spent weeks minimizing what is clearly a very serious problem,” Carlson said, later adding, “They’re wrong. The Chinese coronavirus is a major event. It will affect your life, and by the way, it’s definitely not just the flu. In a typical year, the flu in this country has a mortality rate of about 1 in 1000. The overall death rate for this virus, by contrast, is as high as 3.4 percent.”

I'm simply saying that an outbreak here could be devastating....it could easily overwhelm available respirators and ICU beds. Heck the Villages Hospital (per many posts here) has never been a bastion of great care, I can't imagin it over run by critical cases.

but again, I'm motivated by an abundance of caution.

Last edited by Bonnevie; 03-10-2020 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdoug49 View Post
You're the one who stated that Republicans thought it was a hoax then just went on to prove you were wrong.. Good job..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 03-10-2020, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

This was posted three hours ago. It is a breakdown of covid-19 cases throughout the US. Whoever said Florida is second is wrong.

I think the link is not working. Google Where are the Florida covid cases, and it should come up.

Coronavirus in the US: Map, case counts and news | Live Science
Old 03-10-2020, 02:45 PM
Sage

You expressed that your concern was because of economic issues. Saying that there is evidence is not the same as actually providing evidence. Again, please provide evidence, not opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
I said it is MY concern, (as a former govt. employee I have witnessed instances where "facts" have been spun) but I'm not speaking for anyone else. However, I feel there has been ample evidence by the administration to downplay the possible severity of the problem because of the impact on the stock market and to protect some industries.

from a Fox News site: Dr. Peter Hotez, dean of tropical medicine at Baylor College of Medicine, this week warned U.S. lawmakers against minimizing the viruses risk for vulnerable people. During a Congressional hearing, he said the coronavirus “is like the angel of death for older individuals.

per Ron DeSantis: “If you’re elderly or you have a serious, underlying medical condition, don’t get on a cruise ship right now. Don’t get on a long flight where you could be exposed to the virus. Take certain steps to do what they call social distancing,” DeSantis said.

So at least DeSantis is going beyond the party line regarding flying. Although the administration denies it, it has been reported (again even on Fox News) that the CDC recommended all seniors not fly if it could be avoided but the White House did not want to say that (and Pence tweeted that was not true)....it's up to everyone to decide which they believe.

heck even Tucker Carlson said this: “People you trust, people you probably voted for, have spent weeks minimizing what is clearly a very serious problem,” Carlson said, later adding, “They’re wrong. The Chinese coronavirus is a major event. It will affect your life, and by the way, it’s definitely not just the flu. In a typical year, the flu in this country has a mortality rate of about 1 in 1000. The overall death rate for this virus, by contrast, is as high as 3.4 percent.”

I'm simply saying that an outbreak here could be devastating....it could easily overwhelm available respirators and ICU beds. Heck the Villages Hospital (per many posts here) has never been a bastion of great care, I can't imagin it over run by critical cases.

but again, I'm motivated by an abundance of caution.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:17 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Did anyone else watch CNN reporting from Lake Sumter(The Villages - filmed yesterday ?) about the crona virus this afternoon around 3PM (wife viewed it then) . As my wife watches CNN all of the time (I don't) , she says (CNN said) that most people here are not living in fear but enjoying life no matter what comes their way.

Found the news clip -> CNN - Florida retirees say they are going on with normal life amid coronavirus threat | Facebook

Last edited by twoplanekid; 03-10-2020 at 03:41 PM. Reason: added details
Old 03-10-2020, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Did anyone else watch CNN reporting from Lake Sumter about the crona virus this afternoon around 3PM . As my wife watches CNN all of the time (I don't) , she says (CNN said) that most people here are not living in fear but enjoying live no matter what comes their way.
I know you are speaking the truth. I appreciate your post. I was super concerned the first few day but now that some time has passed and information has been shared. Whoever said that at Lake Sumter is/was/will be living longer just from not stressing! Thats not my go to channel but I give them credit for coming to get the story! I'm gonna leave it there!
Old 03-10-2020, 03:42 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Well I do not plan to run out and purchase a cemetery lot before the prices go up because demand is so great. However, I am not taking any unnecessary commercial flights as I think it prudent to avoid airports and commercial aircraft at this time. Better safe than sorry. I still go about my daily activities without concern.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-10-2020, 03:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibantwo View Post
The state of Florida is protecting tourism by suppressing information about the virus in Florida. There have been more than a dozen cases in the state - the second largest concentration after New York. There have been two deaths - near Pensacola and Fort Meyers. Why don't we know where the other cases are located? We have an at-risk population in The Villages. We need to have more information. Maybe it is time for The Villages to pressure the Governor to provide more information.
Making unsubstantiated charges like "suppressing" etc simply adds to people's tendency to panic ... not helpful
Old 03-10-2020, 04:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,902 Times in 914 Posts

If you want a first hand story of a survivor, please read this from a 40 year old

Coronavirus Patient Recounts Coming ‘One Inch From Death’ - WSJ

Coronavirus Patient Recounts Coming ‘One Inch From Death’ - WSJ

I am not sure that I want to actually test my body's anti bodies

sportsguy
Closed Thread

Tags
information, florida, state, villages, cases

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.