Coronavirus in Florida

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #91  
Old 03-09-2020, 06:24 PM
Drdoug49 Drdoug49 is offline
Member
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 67
Thanks: 7
Thanked 80 Times in 35 Posts
Default

For those of you who think this is a hoax, senator ted Cruz, republican of Texas, is now in self quarantine
  #92  
Old 03-10-2020, 06:49 AM
CoachKandSportsguy CoachKandSportsguy is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Marsh Bend
Posts: 576
Thanks: 297
Thanked 571 Times in 236 Posts
Default

I don't know how to get picture links to show up. . ..
The Villages Florida

Last edited by CoachKandSportsguy; 03-10-2020 at 06:53 AM. Reason: keyboard operator error
  #93  
Old 03-10-2020, 08:20 AM
rickdankert rickdankert is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 15
Thanks: 1
Thanked 34 Times in 8 Posts
Default It’s an evil conspiracy!!!

Nobody has been more more upfront and open about Covid 19 in FL than Governor De Santis. I suggest you expand your news options past MSDNC or CNNLOL.
  #94  
Old 03-10-2020, 08:45 AM
biker1 biker1 is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,476
Thanks: 1
Thanked 562 Times in 298 Posts
Default

Where did you get that from? I don't know anyone who even remotely considers the coronavirus a hoax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdoug49 View Post
For those of you who think this is a hoax, senator ted Cruz, republican of Texas, is now in self quarantine
  #95  
Old 03-10-2020, 09:00 AM
Bonnevie Bonnevie is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,408
Thanks: 10
Thanked 421 Times in 152 Posts
Default

The Villages is a community of over 100,000 senior citizens. To say the flu kills more is to downplay the fact that the flu is not a novel virus....the flu shot helps and our continued exposures to flu over the years helps. COVID19 is a novel virus so none of us have a immunity. I would say there is a considerable number of our community with heart disease, diabetes, copd, etc. so more at risk. I shudder to think what the consequences would be if it started spreading here. While I believe in common sense, I also believe in minimizing my risks right now. Should I hear about any cases in The Villages, I will up my vigilance. My hope is that we will be told if there are cases diagnosed here but I'm concerned that news may not be shared because of the potential economic impact.
  #96  
Old 03-10-2020, 09:15 AM
biker1 biker1 is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,476
Thanks: 1
Thanked 562 Times in 298 Posts
Default

If you have any evidence of a lack of transparency, or the intention to be non-transparent, by either Federal or State Health Officials then please state the evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
The Villages is a community of over 100,000 senior citizens. To say the flu kills more is to downplay the fact that the flu is not a novel virus....the flu shot helps and our continued exposures to flu over the years helps. COVID19 is a novel virus so none of us have a immunity. I would say there is a considerable number of our community with heart disease, diabetes, copd, etc. so more at risk. I shudder to think what the consequences would be if it started spreading here. While I believe in common sense, I also believe in minimizing my risks right now. Should I hear about any cases in The Villages, I will up my vigilance. My hope is that we will be told if there are cases diagnosed here but I'm concerned that news may not be shared because of the potential economic impact.
  #97  
Old 03-10-2020, 09:57 AM
Bonnevie Bonnevie is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,408
Thanks: 10
Thanked 421 Times in 152 Posts
Default

I said it is MY concern, (as a former govt. employee I have witnessed instances where "facts" have been spun) but I'm not speaking for anyone else. However, I feel there has been ample evidence by the administration to downplay the possible severity of the problem because of the impact on the stock market and to protect some industries.

from a Fox News site: Dr. Peter Hotez, dean of tropical medicine at Baylor College of Medicine, this week warned U.S. lawmakers against minimizing the viruses risk for vulnerable people. During a Congressional hearing, he said the coronavirus “is like the angel of death for older individuals.

per Ron DeSantis: “If you’re elderly or you have a serious, underlying medical condition, don’t get on a cruise ship right now. Don’t get on a long flight where you could be exposed to the virus. Take certain steps to do what they call social distancing,” DeSantis said.

So at least DeSantis is going beyond the party line regarding flying. Although the administration denies it, it has been reported (again even on Fox News) that the CDC recommended all seniors not fly if it could be avoided but the White House did not want to say that (and Pence tweeted that was not true)....it's up to everyone to decide which they believe.

heck even Tucker Carlson said this: “People you trust, people you probably voted for, have spent weeks minimizing what is clearly a very serious problem,” Carlson said, later adding, “They’re wrong. The Chinese coronavirus is a major event. It will affect your life, and by the way, it’s definitely not just the flu. In a typical year, the flu in this country has a mortality rate of about 1 in 1000. The overall death rate for this virus, by contrast, is as high as 3.4 percent.”

I'm simply saying that an outbreak here could be devastating....it could easily overwhelm available respirators and ICU beds. Heck the Villages Hospital (per many posts here) has never been a bastion of great care, I can't imagin it over run by critical cases.

but again, I'm motivated by an abundance of caution.

Last edited by Bonnevie; 03-10-2020 at 10:12 AM.
  #98  
Old 03-10-2020, 10:16 AM
Kenswing's Avatar
Kenswing Kenswing is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Villages Bound!
Posts: 6,427
Thanks: 1,197
Thanked 2,905 Times in 1,546 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdoug49 View Post
For those of you who think this is a hoax, senator ted Cruz, republican of Texas, is now in self quarantine
You're the one who stated that Republicans thought it was a hoax then just went on to prove you were wrong.. Good job..
__________________
Birthdays Are Good For You. Statistics Show the More That You Have The Longer You Will Live..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
  #99  
Old 03-10-2020, 10:38 AM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,964
Thanks: 369
Thanked 1,110 Times in 528 Posts
Default

This was posted three hours ago. It is a breakdown of covid-19 cases throughout the US. Whoever said Florida is second is wrong.
404

I think the link is not working. Google Where are the Florida covid cases, and it should come up.

Coronavirus in the US: Map, case counts and news | Live Science
__________________
It's harder to hate close up.
  #100  
Old 03-10-2020, 02:45 PM
biker1 biker1 is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,476
Thanks: 1
Thanked 562 Times in 298 Posts
Default

You expressed that your concern was because of economic issues. Saying that there is evidence is not the same as actually providing evidence. Again, please provide evidence, not opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
I said it is MY concern, (as a former govt. employee I have witnessed instances where "facts" have been spun) but I'm not speaking for anyone else. However, I feel there has been ample evidence by the administration to downplay the possible severity of the problem because of the impact on the stock market and to protect some industries.

from a Fox News site: Dr. Peter Hotez, dean of tropical medicine at Baylor College of Medicine, this week warned U.S. lawmakers against minimizing the viruses risk for vulnerable people. During a Congressional hearing, he said the coronavirus “is like the angel of death for older individuals.

per Ron DeSantis: “If you’re elderly or you have a serious, underlying medical condition, don’t get on a cruise ship right now. Don’t get on a long flight where you could be exposed to the virus. Take certain steps to do what they call social distancing,” DeSantis said.

So at least DeSantis is going beyond the party line regarding flying. Although the administration denies it, it has been reported (again even on Fox News) that the CDC recommended all seniors not fly if it could be avoided but the White House did not want to say that (and Pence tweeted that was not true)....it's up to everyone to decide which they believe.

heck even Tucker Carlson said this: “People you trust, people you probably voted for, have spent weeks minimizing what is clearly a very serious problem,” Carlson said, later adding, “They’re wrong. The Chinese coronavirus is a major event. It will affect your life, and by the way, it’s definitely not just the flu. In a typical year, the flu in this country has a mortality rate of about 1 in 1000. The overall death rate for this virus, by contrast, is as high as 3.4 percent.”

I'm simply saying that an outbreak here could be devastating....it could easily overwhelm available respirators and ICU beds. Heck the Villages Hospital (per many posts here) has never been a bastion of great care, I can't imagin it over run by critical cases.

but again, I'm motivated by an abundance of caution.
  #101  
Old 03-10-2020, 03:17 PM
twoplanekid's Avatar
twoplanekid twoplanekid is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton
Posts: 1,671
Thanks: 3
Thanked 379 Times in 144 Posts
Default

Did anyone else watch CNN reporting from Lake Sumter(The Villages - filmed yesterday ?) about the crona virus this afternoon around 3PM (wife viewed it then) . As my wife watches CNN all of the time (I don't) , she says (CNN said) that most people here are not living in fear but enjoying life no matter what comes their way.

Found the news clip -> CNN - Florida retirees say they are going on with normal life amid coronavirus threat | Facebook

Last edited by twoplanekid; 03-10-2020 at 03:41 PM. Reason: added details
  #102  
Old 03-10-2020, 03:28 PM
Nucky's Avatar
Nucky Nucky is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 10,232
Thanks: 2,945
Thanked 2,530 Times in 1,430 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Did anyone else watch CNN reporting from Lake Sumter about the crona virus this afternoon around 3PM . As my wife watches CNN all of the time (I don't) , she says (CNN said) that most people here are not living in fear but enjoying live no matter what comes their way.
I know you are speaking the truth. I appreciate your post. I was super concerned the first few day but now that some time has passed and information has been shared. Whoever said that at Lake Sumter is/was/will be living longer just from not stressing! Thats not my go to channel but I give them credit for coming to get the story! I'm gonna leave it there!
  #103  
Old 03-10-2020, 03:42 PM
manaboutown's Avatar
manaboutown manaboutown is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Posts: 5,454
Thanks: 5,432
Thanked 2,207 Times in 791 Posts
Default

Well I do not plan to run out and purchase a cemetery lot before the prices go up because demand is so great. However, I am not taking any unnecessary commercial flights as I think it prudent to avoid airports and commercial aircraft at this time. Better safe than sorry. I still go about my daily activities without concern.
__________________
"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." Plato

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
  #104  
Old 03-10-2020, 03:57 PM
TexaninVA's Avatar
TexaninVA TexaninVA is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Village of Largo
Posts: 2,753
Thanks: 428
Thanked 878 Times in 306 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibantwo View Post
The state of Florida is protecting tourism by suppressing information about the virus in Florida. There have been more than a dozen cases in the state - the second largest concentration after New York. There have been two deaths - near Pensacola and Fort Meyers. Why don't we know where the other cases are located? We have an at-risk population in The Villages. We need to have more information. Maybe it is time for The Villages to pressure the Governor to provide more information.
Making unsubstantiated charges like "suppressing" etc simply adds to people's tendency to panic ... not helpful
  #105  
Old 03-10-2020, 04:32 PM
CoachKandSportsguy CoachKandSportsguy is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Marsh Bend
Posts: 576
Thanks: 297
Thanked 571 Times in 236 Posts
Default

If you want a first hand story of a survivor, please read this from a 40 year old

Coronavirus Patient Recounts Coming ‘One Inch From Death’ - WSJ

Coronavirus Patient Recounts Coming ‘One Inch From Death’ - WSJ

I am not sure that I want to actually test my body's anti bodies

sportsguy
Closed Thread

Tags
information, florida, state, villages, cases

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 AM.