Cortisone Shots

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Gold member

Doctor says I need total shoulder replacement and I keep saying no. I assumed the pain would be great and the rehab long and slow. Are you glad you had it? Was it worth the pain?
Old 03-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Here is a link to piriformis syndrome..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piriformis_syndrome
Old 03-22-2011, 09:00 AM
Sage

Went to the doctor Thursday, 3/17/11 and he reverse his original diagnoses from bursitis to a sciatica problem. He stated he wasn't sure if it was bursitis or sciactica. It would have neen nice to get an x-ray or MRI to determine whats going on but I guess he was taking the conservative approach as he was not in pain.

I still believe he really doesn't know. Isn't medicine wonderful?

He prescribed diclofenac sodium and the pain is almost gone but not totally. I guess I'll have to take a wait and see approach for the next month as I will see him for my yearly physical. At least the pain has been minimized.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Gold member

I have it on my left hip and the orthopedic doc I saw in Nashville, put me on therapy plus some home therapy. Never took cortisone since I have problems with it but the therapy gave me relief and as long as I do home therapy it seems fine. Good Luck.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 03-23-2011, 07:25 AM

2BNTV- Glad to hear you are getting some relief. Being in pain is absolutely no fun!
Old 03-23-2011, 08:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylj2000 View Post
I have the sciatic nerve problem along with a herniated disc. I'm getting my second set of shots this week Dr. said it could take 3 sets to help. Pain goes down butt cheek to back of thigh then goes to the right side of knee down to the foot which feels like it's broken. Very hard to sit for any length of time walking even worse,shots are in lower back. Had MRI to show all this before I agreed to the shots. So have a MRI to really see what you have I waited for 8 months before I even went to the Dr. Iwished I had fixing it now I hope. S1 and L5. Hope to be a Villager soon still trying its been 2 yrs.
Can relate to your post a bit....except for the knee and also back location. Had the shot this a.m. and we'll see how it "took". It wasn't hard to go through. I was told Dr. P (his name is long and hard to pronounce) is "THE" best (told me by the nurse) to have this procedure done. He seems pretty thorough!!
Old 03-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Veteran member

This is just my situation. Over the span of a year, went to several Dr's for hip pain radiating down side and front of thigh (not sciatica). Had cortisone injection for hip bursitis - no relief. Had MRI of hip looking for a tear - negative. Ended up seeing a physician's assistant at a neurologist's office - he suspected sacroiliac joint dysfunction and sent me for physical therapy. After 3 sessions, I had relief I hadn't felt in a year. I still have to be careful not to flare things up, but I am thankful for this PA apparently pinpointing the problem.

I must add - when this all started I, too, was using a leg lift machine at the gym. The PA said that could have caused this - when lifting, I could have just twisted my body without realizing it. He said that it could have been the last few reps - I was determined to finish the set and didn't think anything of it. Yep, that's me - even though I didn't use a lot of weight, I pushed to do the last few.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaJ View Post
2BNTV- Glad to hear you are getting some relief. Being in pain is absolutely no fun!
Thank you very much for your wishing me well,

Your right, it's no fun being in pain especially if your being treated by the medical professional who isn't in pain and wants to take their time in precribing a relief solution especially when you can't get off the floor after lying down. Not knowing what you are suffering from bothers me the most.
Well, maybe the extreme pain is first.

It ain't over yet but much. much better. Still feel slight pain.

I wish everyone well and to get relief from sciactica or bursitis.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:01 PM

Cortizone is a temporary fix at best. My Dr at the Cleveland Clinic said never let anyone give you more than 2 cortizone shots for the same area. The cortizone destroys the tendons and ligiments with to much useage. Then you can have big time problems. I had both shoulders repaired along with a torn labrum. I won't have a cortizone unless there is no other option. If you need them for pain by all means do it, just be aware of continual usage.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTTPF View Post
Cortizone is a temporary fix at best. My Dr at the Cleveland Clinic said never let anyone give you more than 2 cortizone shots for the same area. The cortizone destroys the tendons and ligiments with to much useage. Then you can have big time problems. I had both shoulders repaired along with a torn labrum. I won't have a cortizone unless there is no other option. If you need them for pain by all means do it, just be aware of continual usage.
Thanks for the info but maybe I need to update what did work for me.

A month after the cortisone shot, he precribed Diclofenac Sodium.

The pain started to subsidize right away, I took that for almost two months and the pain went away. I still left ten pills in case there is a sudden flare-up until I can get an appointment assuming I need to go back to him.

I believe the injury is caused by the eliptical cross trainer as I have not lifted weights in over a year. I originally thought it was because of lifting weights.

I still feel some slight discomfort lately and if I need to go back, I will insists on getting an exact diagnoses instead of it could be bursitis, sciatica or tendinitis. He never did any test to determine an exact cause because he thought it wasn't significant enough for a MRI.

If he was in the pain I was in, maybe he would have thought differently.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).

Last edited by 2BNTV; 10-01-2011 at 05:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.