Cost of Crowns and Dentist Recommendations

Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2019, 03:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Only if you tell the second dentist about your experience with the first one. And why would you? You don’t want to bias the new dentist.

I became suspicious of some dentist when I was a teenager and every 6 months when I went for cleaning my dentist found a new cavity. He also mentioned he had just bought a new cottage. I was wondering if my teeth were funding it. I changed dentist after a few years and for the next 40 years lo and behold, I had no cavities.
When I was a kid I never ate black licorice before going to the dentist, if he saw it he drilled it

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-30-2019, 04:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I understand that a crown performed by a dentist usually costs about $1,000. That is the going rate. But, when the hygienist at Village Dental described the deep cleaning procedure that she was going to perform for a cost of $1,400, it really sounded like ripoff. It was a 2 hour procedure with no dentist present. Dental hygienists may be well trained, but I don't think they command an income anywhere near that of a dentist. So, I thought that her quoted price was outrageous. Two other dentists told me that I didn't need a deep cleaning. And, 3 years later, I my current dentist has still not recommended a deep cleaning. I believe that this procedure is oversold and overpriced in The Villages.
The dentist takes 60% or more of the hygienist salary.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:43 PM

I had a couple crowns done and I am in the process of having 3 implants and the associated bridge and crown work, as well as some jaw reconstruction, bone transplants etc.

I decided on Dr Acosta in Cuenca, Ecuador. He has a multi-generational family practice, they are trained in the US and return to practice in Ecuador. Their office is state of the Art.

Crowns take about a week (if you are in a hurry) start to finish, cost $400 each. I was quoted $1200 each here in the states. I had three done., Cost of flights, AirBNB and food, sight seeing etc for myself and my wife was $2100. So Total price for a vacation in Ecuador with 3 crowns was around $3200 vs the $3600 my dentist in Live Oak, FL quoted me. Would have been cheaper if I went alone...but we had fun.

The Implants and jaw reconstruction was quoted here at around $16,000 to $18,000 depending on complications.

For Dr. Acosta the bill comes to around $4000 to $5000 plus a couple thousand for another vacation in Cuenca for me and my wife. So, total around $7,000, or a savings of about $9,000.

Dr Acosta is friendly, fluent in English, and does excellent work. If I had to complain about anything he works a little "fast". It took some getting used to but, now I enjoy the fact I am not in the chair as long as I was used to here.

If you would like to see a bit of the world, maybe visit the Gallopolis Islands (a couple hours away from Cuenca) all for "free" compared to having your dental work done here - you may want to consider a medical vacation, a booming industry. Prices are similar in Mexico, I just prefer Cuenca, the people are incredibly friendly and there is a big expat community if you prefer to hang out with Americans.

Normal cost in Cuenca for Dental work is about 25% of what it costs here. Flight runs about $400 to $600 round trip (not first class depending on the day of the week. Rooms range from $15 to $35 per day for a couple. Meals depending on your diet can run $2.75 for a 3 course lunch. American food is more expensive, but we loved the local food and a retired lady had a "restaurant" in her converted garage a couple houses down from where we stayed, and her service and food was outstanding. No car rental is needed, public transit is faster and silly cheap. Bus is $0.25 from to anywhere. Taxis run about $2,00 to $3.00 to/from almost anywhere. Time to catch a bus or taxi is about the same - about 2 to 5 minutes anytime of day.

Dr. Acosta

Last edited by Martian; 10-31-2019 at 03:41 AM.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:38 PM

Went to aesthetic dental in Colony, $2,500.00 for a damaged implant crown...Dr. Lesh, Southern Trace Dental, $1,000.00...Saved $1,500.00..Plus, no attempted up sell scam....
Old 10-31-2019, 09:46 AM
Sage

You don't want a "deep cleaning" (actually called scaling and root planing) done by a dentist. A hygienist will probably do a better job. If you have gum disease and deep pockets the procedure may be called for. Getting a second opinion, preferably by a dentist outside the bubble, would be a good idea. If you ever go to a practice where the dentist is routinely performing that procedure you should go to another practice because dentists should be spending their time doing restorative procedures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I go to Dr. Lunsford in Leesburg. He did a crown for $895. Some dentists in The Villages definitely try to upsell. Some will want to do crowns that aren't needed and "deep cleanings" that I never even heard of until I moved here. A deep cleaning can cost over $1,000 and it is not even done by the dentist.

Last edited by biker1; 10-31-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:25 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default They are everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Dr. Freeman. He is up north, 1000 miles away. I hope you don’t consider my story irrelevant because of that.
Not at all. Gold diggers are everywhere.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:13 AM
Veteran member

I've been going to Dr. Hards at Village Dental for about seven years, ever since we moved here. My teeth have never been in better shape.

I always had gums and teeth that sometimes are sore and occasionally became big deal toothaches., mostly because I always put things off. All that has gone now. When I first came here Dr. Hards recommended a bunch of crowns and that is what I had done. He also said there were two that didn't need attention right away but eventually would. Since then I've had almost no issues except those two teeth Dr. Hards pointed out finally did need crowns.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

My pet peeve is the oral exam scam for $30.You mean to tell me if the hygienist during a cleaning sees a problem area they wont tell you about it unless you pay it.

Scam

Tags
crowns, dentist, cost, recommendations, thing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.