The Cost of Vaccines (Not Covid)

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2022, 03:02 PM
Angry The Cost of Vaccines (Not Covid)

At the end of last year I had to go to an Urgent Care because I sliced my finger and needed stitches. They would not give me a Tetanus shot and said go to the pharmacy. Although all of my deductibles were paid, The Pharmacy said it would be $110. I went to another Urgent Care and as long as I asked to have my finger re-bandaged and checked, the Tetanus shot was covered under my insurance and no charge. Once again, I went into a pharmacy for a Shingles shot and they wanted $220. My doctor said to get it at the pharmacy. I have spent a walloping $12 on prescriptions this year so I'm certainly not maxed out. The explanation from the pharmacy is; according to Medicare classic this is a pharmacy charge not a medical charge.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Does anyone have a solution other than to find a doctor's office that will give vaccines or pay these high prices?
Old 08-06-2022, 04:20 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,967 Times in 754 Posts

My medical plan covers all vaccinations at no charge pneumonia, shingle, flu last time I received a tetanus shot it was also covered at urgent care.
Old 08-06-2022, 04:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,045 Times in 5,336 Posts

We have found pharmacies cheaper for injection but as I recall did have to pay something. Had shingles vaccine at sams but think it was covered by insurance
Old 08-06-2022, 06:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darield View Post
<snip> Once again, I went into a pharmacy for a Shingles shot and they wanted $220. My doctor said to get it at the pharmacy. I have spent a walloping $12 on prescriptions this year so I'm certainly not maxed out. The explanation from the pharmacy is; according to Medicare classic this is a pharmacy charge not a medical charge.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Does anyone have a solution other than to find a doctor's office that will give vaccines or pay these high prices?
You haven't said what your insurance coverage is. Regarding the shingles shot, what you pay out-of-pocket depends on your insurance company.

My wife and I have Medicare. Each of us has a different prescription drug plan (Part D). For the 2 Shingrix shots (for shingles), my plan covered about 50% of the cost. My wife's plan covered hardly any of it. She saved a few dollars by using GoodRX instead of her part D plan.

My take -- when it comes to healthcare, it's a jungle out there!
Old 08-06-2022, 07:06 PM

Before going to the pharmacy, call your insurance company to find out what your plan covers.

Once I went to the pharmacy for an injection ( don't remember what kind) and the pharmacist said it wasn't covered. Eventually they figured out that it should have been run against Medicare part B and not D, or perhaps the other way around. If you check with the insurance company first, you will know the truth when the clerk says sorry, not covered.
Old 08-06-2022, 07:58 PM

Some of these 'vaccines' should be given in a medical environment. I will not trust the side-effect care available at a pharmacy.
This is one BAD MOVE by medicare.
Old 08-06-2022, 09:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

I had two Shingrex shots at a local Walgreens. Both covered by my Florida Blue. Arm still hurts. It was a few days ago that I got the 2nd. Some pharmacies only take certain insurance but it varies by shots needed.
Old 08-06-2022, 09:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,074 Times in 2,743 Posts

Got my shingles shots at CVS and both were totally covered by Blue Cross Blue Shield.
Old 08-06-2022, 09:42 PM
Platinum member

be careful next time, don’t slice your finger.

Problem solved.
Old 08-06-2022, 09:43 PM

I read about someone who needed anaphylaxis treatment and pharmacy was unprepared for that.

Signs of an allergic reaction happen within minutes or hours after vaccination and include hives, swelling of the face and throat, difficulty breathing, a fast heartbeat, dizziness, or weakness. If you experience these or any other life-threatening symptoms, see a doctor right away.

There is a very small chance of a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) to the shingles vaccine, as there is with other vaccines.
Old 08-06-2022, 09:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,511 Times in 3,104 Posts

I pay nothing for my vaccines. They're all covered by insurance.
Old 08-06-2022, 10:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,511 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepsake View Post
Some of these 'vaccines' should be given in a medical environment. I will not trust the side-effect care available at a pharmacy.
This is one BAD MOVE by medicare.
All pharmacies carry epinephrine. Some states authorize specially-trained pharmacists to administer it to people who buy and consume their rx. meds at their pharmacy and have an allergic reaction while there. All pharmacies carry antihistamines. All pharmacies carry a vast assortment and variety of first aid and accessories. All pharmacies have telephone access to 911. There's no prescription needed for any of those things other than the epinephrine.

Not sure why you'd type 'vaccines' as though you consider the word suspect. Also, pharmacies are medical environments, by their very nature.
Old 08-07-2022, 06:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,710 Times in 5,240 Posts

Medicare Part B covers some vaccines, but not the shingles vaccine. The Shingrix vaccine requires 2 shots and you need to pay separately for each shot, unless you have an insurance plan that will cover them. My Federal Blue Cross plan paid for mine.

Personally, I think the patient should pay for all of these relatively low cost medical procedures to encourage competitive pricing. Insurance should only cover the high priced procedures that most people can't afford.
Old 08-08-2022, 04:30 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralway View Post
be careful next time, don’t slice your finger.

Problem solved.
really?
Old 08-08-2022, 05:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
All pharmacies carry epinephrine. Some states authorize specially-trained pharmacists to administer it to people who buy and consume their rx. meds at their pharmacy and have an allergic reaction while there. All pharmacies carry antihistamines. All pharmacies carry a vast assortment and variety of first aid and accessories. All pharmacies have telephone access to 911. There's no prescription needed for any of those things other than the epinephrine.

Not sure why you'd type 'vaccines' as though you consider the word suspect. Also, pharmacies are medical environments, by their very nature.
First, I have to disagree that a pharmacy is a "medical environment", since there aren't any medical professionals there.

Second, unless you are in a state that allows pharmacists to administer epinephrine, the drug that is stocked on the shelf won't do you much good.

Third, carrying "antihistamines" is not going to help someone who is likely to be unable to swallow. You need a running IV and intravenous diphenhydramine. Unless there happens to be a medical professional buying a greeting card in the store, you're out of luck

Fourth, a true anaphylactic reaction will develop in less than a minute or two, and in the case of laryngeal edema you will need to be intubated almost immediately. Good luck calling 911.

Finally, having "first aid supplies" is not going to help, you need a crash cart. (Although it is possible to perform an emergency tracheostomy with a pen knife and a bic pen, I'd rather not try it in a pharmacy)
Closed Thread

Tags
pharmacy, shot, charge, tetanus, give

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.