Couple arrested for knowingly boarding flight while COVID-19 positive

Closed Thread
Old 12-04-2020, 02:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Ah, Jim, you mean progress? Well that is true, there will always be progress, not always for the better. I thought you meant human selfishness, which has always been there.
And I agree with you basically. I think that The US should NOT judge itself on Gross National Product, but rather QUALITY OF LIFE - as measured against other nations. The Scandinavian Countries are in the top 10. The US is around 30th or so. Happiness and long life are to be respected. And when the US could climb up into the top 10, then I will be more positive and respectful toward American values and leadership. (if only I could live THAT long)!
Old 12-04-2020, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
The Sturgis motorcycle rally was partially outside and DID cause a recorded uptick in CV for those participants. It was a SUPER SPREADER event - as was recent political events without CDC guidelines adhered to. The Dakota area and surrounding states have a 40% positivity rate and their hospitals are overwhelmed. The recent rally near the was just NOT studied like the Sturgis event so NO conclusions can be drawn. But, as of today, CV is spreading in TV Land and the invading hordes from the northern mid-west will eventually cause a spike and the 40% unnecessary Thanksgiving travel will also cause a spike here. Also, Pa., NY State, and other Northeast areas are spiking in daily cases. And, if truth be told All the Medical Scientists are saying and warning that "The Sky really is Falling" in a metaphysical way! It is JUST that 1/2 of US citizens are DENYING Science and listening to the "Gods of Happy Talk" - and this to the DETRIMENT of the health and wealth of the country. In TV Land the denying percentage is higher - around 70%, it seems?
More empty glass theme.
I see it differently. I am pragmatic instead of gloom and doom. Not ignoring anything, just living by being careful, not fearful. I prefer to see the light at the end of the tunnel, while CERTAIN folks on here insist it is the end of the world. Stat numbers can be used to prove ANY theme you wish, but the truth is that mankind will keep on keeping on. No one gets out of this alive. Some live short lives unfortunately, and some live long miserable lives, also unfortunately. I prefer to live my life like today might be my last. I figure that at my age, it's a bonus to live past my expiration date. Life is great for some of us, and miserable for those that wish to focus on catastrophes and epidemics. Since I know that there will never be a cure for everything, I do not allow obstacles in life to stop me from moving on.
The point is that I have seen less ambulances running code 4 to the hospital this year than I have in the past several years. Seems good to me. I am seeing less of my friends and family suffering from illnesses than in past years and I refuse to allow politics to alarm or depress me. All of this, and without using any legal or illegal drugs.
Life is good, ....no life is great!
Could it be that those that believe in a divinity have more of a propensity for enthusiasm and a positive attitude? Could it be that those with a negative outlook in life see only darkness in their future?
Be safe, but live your life without fear. When this is over, we should celebrate by having a mask burning party.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
And I agree with you basically. I think that The US should NOT judge itself on Gross National Product, but rather QUALITY OF LIFE - as measured against other nations. The Scandinavian Countries are in the top 10. The US is around 30th or so. Happiness and long life are to be respected. And when the US could climb up into the top 10, then I will be more positive and respectful toward American values and leadership. (if only I could live THAT long)!
Funny that. You are using someone else's information to dictate how you wish to think of America. On the other hand, I have lived in many countries-- half of my life and I see the opposite of what you believe. I see our country as being on top of the world as to lifestyle. Our poverty rated folks live as well as the European middle class. I see EVERY country attempting to emulate our lifestyle. I see our country spoiled with freedom and liberty and other countries under the thumb of their government. Perhaps some on here NEED a gov nanny?
Old 12-04-2020, 03:08 PM

Why close the Canadian boarder if thousands of Canadians are flying to the villages and out drinking the night they arrive?
Old 12-04-2020, 03:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts12755 View Post
Why close the Canadian boarder if thousands of Canadians are flying to the villages and out drinking the night they arrive?
The alcohol sterilizes the virus spores from the inside
Old 12-04-2020, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Quote:
Are they though? Or is this a guess. Could be they are very cautious but trying to avoid the cold inhospitable winter even at the cost of possibly no hospital space available near TV. Personally, I would not be flying at this time for just about any reason.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Good point, but it makes me wonder how they were arrested after they deplaned at their destination IF the airlines did not know. The article states: "Before boarding the flight, the couple had reportedly tested positive for the illness while going through pre-travel screenings." So, the question remains; did the airlines know BEFORE they boarded or not? Seems like the purpose of pre-screening is to find out if they are a danger. The article does not mention how they were able to board after being screened.
Very good question. Their test was not required to board an airplane, it is a requirement of Hawaii (and other states)---show a negative test within 72 hours or quarantine. So possibilities include:

The airline did know and did nothing to stop them (yuk)
The airline only got the info while in flight
They screwed up upon arrival in Hawaii and showed their positive test results
Old 12-04-2020, 04:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
More empty glass theme.
I see it differently. I am pragmatic instead of gloom and doom. Not ignoring anything, just living by being careful, not fearful. I prefer to see the light at the end of the tunnel, while CERTAIN folks on here insist it is the end of the world. Stat numbers can be used to prove ANY theme you wish, but the truth is that mankind will keep on keeping on. No one gets out of this alive. Some live short lives unfortunately, and some live long miserable lives, also unfortunately. I prefer to live my life like today might be my last. I figure that at my age, it's a bonus to live past my expiration date. Life is great for some of us, and miserable for those that wish to focus on catastrophes and epidemics. Since I know that there will never be a cure for everything, I do not allow obstacles in life to stop me from moving on.
The point is that I have seen less ambulances running code 4 to the hospital this year than I have in the past several years. Seems good to me. I am seeing less of my friends and family suffering from illnesses than in past years and I refuse to allow politics to alarm or depress me. All of this, and without using any legal or illegal drugs.
Life is good, ....no life is great!
Could it be that those that believe in a divinity have more of a propensity for enthusiasm and a positive attitude? Could it be that those with a negative outlook in life see only darkness in their future?
Be safe, but live your life without fear. When this is over, we should celebrate by having a mask burning party.
a mask-burning party ?????? Dream a nice dream for me, please! How "divine" is that? Why do the "divine" spouting types always seem so psychologically needy to me? ARE they selling something to me or to THEMSELVES? If you have a vacuum, I guess, there is a need to fill it. Well, bless their little hearts!
Old 12-04-2020, 04:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Funny that. You are using someone else's information to dictate how you wish to think of America. On the other hand, I have lived in many countries-- half of my life and I see the opposite of what you believe. I see our country as being on top of the world as to lifestyle. Our poverty rated folks live as well as the European middle class. I see EVERY country attempting to emulate our lifestyle. I see our country spoiled with freedom and liberty and other countries under the thumb of their government. Perhaps some on here NEED a gov nanny?
Quality of life is measured by international standards. One person's opinion is JUST one person (no matter how CONVINCED they are that they are right). Anyone can Google where the US stands and believe me, we are 30th and Sweden, etc. are in the top 10. Check me out on Google. I would not kid you, you are my favorite goat.
Old 12-04-2020, 04:48 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,136 Times in 881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafw1 View Post
The borders between the US and Canada are closed. Are you telling us that you're flying into the US to get around the laws and then complaining about others also breaking the laws? You're both doing wrong. This year we shouldn't see any Canadian plates on cars.
Flying from Canada to US is legal, it's just driving through the border that isn't. Do you actually think the border control would have let me in otherwise?!!! Please do some homework before you throw out such egrerious accusations.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:02 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,136 Times in 881 Posts

Quote:
I agree that closing the border to cars (which is a much safer way to travel re Covid) and let people fly (way more risky way for contracting illness), is so bizarre. I don't understand who or why that was decided, but it's pretty absurd in my book. And please believe me, flying here was a very hard decision to make, but the prospect of being in snow all winter with no indoor activities available, was way more disconcerting than trying my luck at flying. And NO I do not, have not and most likely will not be out drinking or even eating out for that matter. It's not nice Canadians like me you have to be concerned about!
Old 12-04-2020, 05:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Quality of life is measured by international standards. One person's opinion is JUST one person (no matter how CONVINCED they are that they are right). Anyone can Google where the US stands and believe me, we are 30th and Sweden, etc. are in the top 10. Check me out on Google. I would not kid you, you are my favorite goat.
Ah yes, GOOGLE, ha,ha. Measured by international standards? I think that I will believe my own eyes, rather than Google, ha,ha. I'll take Florida any day of the week over lil' ole Sweden. I think that Florida has about 8.5 million more folks than Sweden, but I am sure that there is not very many Floridians that would migrate to Sweden voluntarily. Of course, being an AMERICAN I guess I am partial to a Free system with less gov. control. But, let's not dwell on politics. Sweden is one of the few countries that I have not lived in or even visited, so I will give it the benefit of possibly being a nice little country. I have been to many countries where folks love their land and people, including communists....so I prefer to use my own judgement to compare living conditions. Of course, they probably do not have the problems we have with the needy folks that believe they are entitled to share other folks labor. And I am sure their schools do not have the problem we have of changing our history, confusion of choosing which bathroom to use, or disparaging of their country by those that have no clue as to how grateful they really should be to be born in the U.S. of A.

I think the subject of this thread (that you strayed from) is regarding a couple being arrested for flying on a plane after testing positive for the virus. Perhaps you wish to compare how they were treated to the possible treatment they would receive in Sweden?
Old 12-05-2020, 08:59 AM

not afforded the right to arrest people / what on earth are you thinking
Old 12-05-2020, 09:07 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,106 Times in 1,338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I agree that closing the border to cars (which is a much safer way to travel re Covid) and let people fly (way more risky way for contracting illness), is so bizarre. I don't understand who or why that was decided, but it's pretty absurd in my book. And please believe me, flying here was a very hard decision to make, but the prospect of being in snow all winter with no indoor activities available, was way more disconcerting than trying my luck at flying. And NO I do not, have not and most likely will not be out drinking or even eating out for that matter. It's not nice Canadians like me you have to be concerned about!
Sorry, people can be mean. You have all the rights to enjoy this great place as the rest of us.
Closed Thread

Tags
plane, asymptomatic, couple, willfully, worried

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.