Couple arrested for knowingly boarding flight while COVID-19 positive

Closed Thread
Old 12-03-2020, 11:42 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,137 Times in 881 Posts
Default Couple arrested for knowingly boarding flight while COVID-19 positive

This is unconscionable!!! I had to fly here and certainly was worried about someone being asymptomatic on the plane, but would never think someone would willfully do this.

Couple arrested for knowingly boarding flight while COVID-19 positive | TheHill

:shocked :
Old 12-03-2020, 12:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
This is unconscionable!!! I had to fly here and certainly was worried about someone being asymptomatic on the plane, but would never think someone would willfully do this.

I agree, it is unconscionable. Now I must(as you like to say "grow a pair") and ask...... why did you have to fly here? Did you not have a choice in the matter? I know the Canada–United States border is still closed...... that's not what I mean. I'm thinking you came here on vacation because you wanted too. Not because you had too.
My wife is Canadian and we changed our plans to go there this summer. We were also going to visit the grandkids in New York. I know there are rules we can all follow that allow us to travel...... just thought it best for all to cancel.
Anyway, enjoy your vacation and stay safe.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:

Wow hope they get a few years to consider their actions.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

Honolulu Star Advertiser:

“Wailua residents Wesley Moribe, 41, and Courtney Peterson, 46, were arrested after arriving in Lihue Sunday on a United Airlines flight.

Kauai police said the couple faces charges of reckless endangerment.

“They knowingly boarded a flight aware of their positive COVID-19 test results, placing the passengers of the flight in danger of death,” police said.

According to police, Moribe and Peterson took COVID-19 detection tests before the flight as part of Hawaii’s pre-travel testing program. Authorities at San Francisco International Airport took the couple to quarantine after they both tested positive for COVID-19 and told them not to fly.

Instead, the couple ignored the order and boarded the plane with their son, authorities said.”

And according to the airlines this is not the first time that this has happened. I wonder why the Airline Authorities did not stop these people from boarding? Will they be charged with attempted murder?
Old 12-03-2020, 01:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

That is so awful to hear. I am sure I personally do not know ANYONE that would do that. I hope that by luck or grace of God that those folks on the airplane stayed well.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:08 PM
Veteran member

What really amazing about this is this couple, who lives on an island, is willing to put themselves on a no fly list in order to get home sooner. Now they may never get to leave.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:41 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
I agree, it is unconscionable. Now I must(as you like to say "grow a pair") and ask...... why did you have to fly here? Did you not have a choice in the matter? I know the Canada–United States border is still closed...... that's not what I mean. I'm thinking you came here on vacation because you wanted too. Not because you had too.
My wife is Canadian and we changed our plans to go there this summer. We were also going to visit the grandkids in New York. I know there are rules we can all follow that allow us to travel...... just thought it best for all to cancel.
Anyway, enjoy your vacation and stay safe.
I know I didn't "have" to fly here, but Medipac health insurance decided to cover Canadians going to the US for Covid, so that was my deciding factor.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:43 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
What really amazing about this is this couple, who lives on an island, is willing to put themselves on a no fly list in order to get home sooner. Now they may never get to leave.
Good point!
Old 12-03-2020, 03:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
They may never get to leave anyways if Covid gets them first. But they sure weren’t concerned for the innocent others. They are flying to Kauai... those people are serious about this virus.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:57 AM

Why didn't airline prevent them from boarding? Airline just as guilty as couple.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:50 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
I know I didn't "have" to fly here, but Medipac health insurance decided to cover Canadians going to the US for Covid, so that was my deciding factor.
Thats a poor choice. Since insurance will pay your medical bills, you decided to chance getting the virus?
Old 12-04-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenegb View Post
why didn't airline prevent them from boarding? Airline just as guilty as couple.
hipaa?
Old 12-04-2020, 07:02 AM
Location: Newburgh NY, Berwick PA, Grand Forks ND, Tampa Fl, Wenatchee Wash, TN, OK, TX, NC, OH, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeleneGB View Post
Why didn't airline prevent them from boarding? Airline just as guilty as couple.
Yes! This is insane, as the couple was pre screened before boarding. Airline is responsible! The couple also in this environment. Hawaii is one of the strictest place but if they slipped some cash to the right person or knew someone of importance in San Francisco, somebody may have turned the other way! And away they went. Just how did they board? They were screened!
Old 12-04-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:

I’m not surprised. People today think only about themselves. It’s unfortunate but it is reality. I think there may be some law suits from people who end up with the virus because of that flight. A very good friend of mine used to always remind me that “all the monkeys are not in the zoo because everyday you meet quite a few”.Be safe!!
Old 12-04-2020, 07:07 AM

Unfortunately nothing surprises me anymore.
Closed Thread

Tags
plane, asymptomatic, couple, willfully, worried

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.