COVID antibodies test is coming soon where I live. Is it worth paying $400?

Closed Thread
Old 06-20-2020, 07:26 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts
Default COVID antibodies test is coming soon where I live. Is it worth paying $400?

I feel I may have had minor symptoms of COVID after I returned home from TV in March. I'm curious if I did, and would feel good knowing I was able to fight this terrible virus, but is it worth dishing out $400 for it?
Old 06-20-2020, 07:48 AM
Veteran member

LabCorp says an antibody test will cost you $10. You will need a doctor's order to get it.

https://www.labcorp.com/antibody-testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I feel I may have had minor symptoms of COVID after I returned home from TV in March. I'm curious if I did, and would feel good knowing I was able to fight this terrible virus, but is it worth dishing out $400 for it?
Old 06-20-2020, 07:58 AM
Gold member

If you donate blood at Oneblood, you get the test for free. I am a Platelet donor and get tested every 2 weeks. Been tested 3 times now and has been negative every time.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:05 AM
Platinum member
Default NO

Ask your Doctor to order the blood test. Insurance pays for it.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyf View Post
If you donate blood at Oneblood, you get the test for free. I am a Platelet donor and get tested every 2 weeks. Been tested 3 times now and has been negative every time.
Are you being tested for active virus or for antibodies?
Old 06-20-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
The best kit for antibodies IMO is the Roche kit. LabCorp uses the Roche kit for it's antibody testing. It's not an at-home test, you have to visit a LabCorp facility, but they have a lot of facilities nationwide. Your insurance may cover some or all of the cost. I thought the test was $119 if you had to pay for it yourself, but I can't find confirmation of that on a quick search. Please update us if you follow through with the test, I'm interested.

https://www.labcorp.com/coronavirus-...ore-20-initial
Old 06-20-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet2020 View Post
The best kit for antibodies IMO is the Roche kit. LabCorp uses the Roche kit for it's antibody testing. It's not an at-home test, you have to visit a LabCorp facility, but they have a lot of facilities nationwide. Your insurance may cover some or all of the cost. I thought the test was $119 if you had to pay for it yourself, but I can't find confirmation of that on a quick search. Please update us if you follow through with the test, I'm interested.

https://www.labcorp.com/coronavirus-...ore-20-initial
Thanks for posting that link but it is dated recently (May 19) and says they have only had 20 sites so that may not be available thru LabCorp?
Old 06-20-2020, 03:36 PM
Veteran member

See COVID antibodies test is coming soon where I live. Is it worth paying $400?
Old 06-20-2020, 03:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

OP where did u get $400 price tag.
Old 06-21-2020, 05:56 AM
Default Antibody test

So far, from what I've read, they're fairly unreliable. Quest in The Villages was offering them for around $200. I, too, had a free test when I donated with OneBlood. Probably not worth paying $400.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:01 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
$400?? I dont know where you live but insurance covers this plus many drive up testing sites are free
Old 06-21-2020, 06:03 AM

Quote:
My husband and I both got one, against advice of our Illinois doctors who said they are unreliable. We were SURE my husband had COVID and wanted to donate plasma if so. We were told tests negative. I got copy of report. Quest cannot find my husband's test. We had test when Lake County offered for $85/$20 for residents. Many places do for $85, do not pay $400! I think too many labs have unreliable tests and are in it for the money. Wish we waited for one of approved test. Too many labs develop tests that are NOT government approved.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:27 AM

I got a free to me antibody test at 441 Urgent Care on 44. I did have a doctor's order to get it. As previously mentioned, they are not reliable at this point. Whoever is charging $400 is ripping you off.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts

To answer the original question, the answer is no. Why? to answer this question, you have to ask yourself what are you going to do with the information? If you want to donate plasma, then yes. However, if your test is positive, do you believe that you can't get it again? the virus is new, so the value of the antibodies is unknown. If no are you going to change your lifestyle? or your viewpoint as a google expert just because you think you might have had the virus? of the people to whom I have spoken who have had the virus, there is no mistaken that they had it. One person said that he was so tired that after being awake for 4 hours after lunch that he fell asleep on the couch for another 4 hours for being exhausted. He lost his vision for awhile when his blood pressure crashed. His wife is a long time nurse who spread it to him.

anybody can be wrong, but trained and practicing doctors are much less likely to be wrong than google searching couch posers. So if you talk with the medical community on the front lines, of which i have a wife and family members, we haven't beaten the virus yet. The odds of survival are improved, but then there is the unknown future effects which have not yet been seen. . . and there will be some. . . . we just haven't even thought about that stage yet.

sportsguy
Old 06-21-2020, 06:48 AM
Default Performance of Roche COVID-19 antibody test.

Quote:
If you are interested in being tested for COVID-19 with a highly sensitive and specific test the one offered by Roche has been given EUA approval by the FDA. EUA stands for, "Emergency Use Authorization". This test is covered by insurance as long a your physician prescribes testing. Since it has been developed by Roche and Labcorp is a devision of Roche it is certainly available through them but may also be available at Quest. If you generally go for blood testing at Quest just call to confirm. Here is the link if you wish to read about the test offered at Labcorp.

Roche - Roche’s COVID-19 antibody test receives FDA Emergency Use Authorization and is available in markets accepting the CE mark
Closed Thread

Tags
covid, feel, worth, $400, virus

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.