Decision Support for FEDVIP Dental Programs to Replace TRDP

Closed Thread
Old 12-03-2018, 08:04 AM
Smile Decision Support for FEDVIP Dental Programs to Replace TRDP

We’ve had the same dentist for several years and are completely satisfied, but they are not a network provider for any of the FEDVIP options. I’m interested in hearing from TOTV’ers:

1. Who are currently enrolled in the Tricare Retiree Dental Program (TDRP) and
2. Have been multiple-year patients of a local dental practice and
3. Are completely satisfied with their dentist and
4. Their dentist will be an in-network provider for at least one of the FEDVIP programs.

Thanks in advance!

Pirate

Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit. Aristotle
Old 12-03-2018, 11:12 AM
Platinum member

I have searched for in-net providers for all the insurance offerings of FEDVIP. The ones in our area all have poor or no ratings. I am with an out-of-network dentist who takes our current plan now and since I am in good dental health, I will stick with Delta and continue to pay the larger copay. If it doesn't work out, I will change next open season.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,005 Times in 2,199 Posts

I have a question, does it matter if the dentist is in or our of network? The reason I ask, the dentist we use accepts NO insurance, they give me a bill, with an envelope addressed to the appropriate insurance company, and the insurance company sends me a check.
I go with a GOOD or GREAT dentist and deal with the insurance as necessary.
Currently, I dropped all coverage, as it is not worth it, if you still are lucky enough to have coverage from your employer, then, you may be out a few $$ until the insurance company reimburses you, IMHO go with the GOOD or GREAT dentist.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Pirate View Post
We’ve had the same dentist for several years and are completely satisfied, but they are not a network provider for any of the FEDVIP options. I’m interested in hearing from TOTV’ers:

1. Who are currently enrolled in the Tricare Retiree Dental Program (TDRP) and
2. Have been multiple-year patients of a local dental practice and
3. Are completely satisfied with their dentist and
4. Their dentist will be an in-network provider for at least one of the FEDVIP programs.

Thanks in advance!

Pirate
We have TRDP and have been going to Dr Lesh at Southern Trace on Wedgewood Lane for 9 years now. They take 4 of the FEDVIP options - Aetna, Delta, GEHA and Metlife. We signed up for GEHA.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logdog View Post
We have TRDP and have been going to Dr Lesh at Southern Trace on Wedgewood Lane for 9 years now. They take 4 of the FEDVIP options - Aetna, Delta, GEHA and Metlife. We signed up for GEHA.
My dentist as well...not in-network, however, for any of the plans. Taking the insurance as an out-of-network dentist which means more cost per visit for the patient. Every time I have a claim, TRDP sends me a reminder that I could save money by switching to a network dentist.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:19 AM

have TDRP and GEHA dental.

for those with TRDP, are you going to cancel before you are charged for December? I don't know if there is any advantage in keeping the trdp until the fedvip plan starts. I am going to the dentist later this month, so I am going to keep trdp until the end.

tricare retiree dental plan
Old 12-04-2018, 05:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
My dentist as well...not in-network, however, for any of the plans. Taking the insurance as an out-of-network dentist which means more cost per visit for the patient. Every time I have a claim, TRDP sends me a reminder that I could save money by switching to a network dentist.
I started getting those reminders about a year or two ago but Heather at Dr Lesh's office who handles insurance told us TRDP was mistaken. They are a Delta network provider and all the claims that they processed for us covered everything that a network provider would.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have a question, does it matter if the dentist is in or our of network? The reason I ask, the dentist we use accepts NO insurance, they give me a bill, with an envelope addressed to the appropriate insurance company, and the insurance company sends me a check.
I go with a GOOD or GREAT dentist and deal with the insurance as necessary.
Currently, I dropped all coverage, as it is not worth it, if you still are lucky enough to have coverage from your employer, then, you may be out a few $$ until the insurance company reimburses you, IMHO go with the GOOD or GREAT dentist.
Generally, patients are responsible for a larger co-pay when they are treated by an out-of-network provider. Most - but not all - of the FEDVIP plans require a 10% larger copay for out-of-network providers.

Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit. Aristotle
Old 12-06-2018, 10:16 PM

[QUOTE=epoch;1604546]have TDRP and GEHA dental.

for those with TRDP, are you going to cancel before you are charged for December? I don't know if there is any advantage in keeping the trdp until the fedvip plan starts. I am going to the dentist later this month, so I am going to keep trdp until the end.

I'm going to keep continuous coverage...TRDP through the end of December and then a new plan beginning January. I wouldn't advise canceling early. After all, it is dental insurance. If a covered patient has an injury that affects their teeth and they just cancelled their insurance, then you're on your own. Not a good idea to save a few bucks at the end of the year.

Closed Thread

Tags
dentist, fedvip, dental, completely, satisfied

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.