Deep Cleaning, always a scam?

Old 12-13-2017, 07:34 AM

New to Florida. Our teeth are fine and all we want is a cleaning twice a year. Every dentist we called said they will not just clean our teeth unless we agree to a deep cleaning if necessary. What is the deal here?

Old 12-13-2017, 07:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlcdsc View Post
New to Florida. Our teeth are fine and all we want is a cleaning twice a year. Every dentist we called said they will not just clean our teeth unless we agree to a deep cleaning if necessary. What is the deal here?
If you have dental insurance it usually pays for a "FREE" exam, x-rays and cleaning every six months. The dentists get paid almost nothing by the insurance companies for those services. They do it because they feel it will generate more business. If you don't have a lot of cavities, they don't see a lot of future business.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:04 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Oh Boy.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:10 AM

i had some experience with dentist at brownwood, wanted deep cleaning for both my husband and self. went to other dentist and said my gums and teeth were good. a scam,. don't go to brownwood dentist. a scam

Old 12-14-2017, 09:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
They're also talking about root scaling.
The root scaling is a deep cleaning they are the same. The charge for scaling is $340 a quarter at Villages dental and is not fully covered by your insurance.

After this they would consider every cleaning as periodontal maintenance which the insurance will not pay for unless you had periodontal surgery, even though it is just the regular cleaning with a different code.

They usually recommend this if they see plaque on the x-ray. If you are not having problems I would skip it. For me it meant that as long as I had my insurance I would be paying for the semi annual cleaning instead of 100% coverage.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:34 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to MrsPhil

Don't know how anyone would "enjoy" a "deep cleaning" based on our experience. My hubby was told he needed this, and it's not just an extra good cleaning: it is only partially covered by insurance, if you have it, and it costs hundreds of dollars. He had it done at one dentist, then we changed to Aspen Dental and they insisted he needed it again. The real kicker is that with them, they now INSIST he MUST have a deep cleaning every time, for the rest of his life, and they want him in every 4 months! That's crazy! Hey, we get it about periodontal disease, but it is treatable such that one shouldn't have to have this forever. My husband is better about his brushing and flossing and started using a water pik; we are now looking for a dentist who will just clean his teeth - we can't afford the extra $200+ every time he goes in (and they admitted their insistence is to cover themselves in case anything in the future happened... "if he has trouble 20 years from now, you could sue us" - yes, that's what she said).

My sister had this done and, after a couple of times, her dentist went back to a normal cleaning. So, it's not necessarily a scam but it may be in your case. If you liked your other dentist, go back and find a nice place for lunch to make the trip to Ocala worthwhile.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPhil View Post
Don't know how anyone would "enjoy" a "deep cleaning" based on our experience. My hubby was told he needed this, and it's not just an extra good cleaning: it is only partially covered by insurance, if you have it, and it costs hundreds of dollars. He had it done at one dentist, then we changed to Aspen Dental and they insisted he needed it again. The real kicker is that with them, they now INSIST he MUST have a deep cleaning every time, for the rest of his life, and they want him in every 4 months! That's crazy! Hey, we get it about periodontal disease, but it is treatable such that one shouldn't have to have this forever. My husband is better about his brushing and flossing and started using a water pik; we are now looking for a dentist who will just clean his teeth - we can't afford the extra $200+ every time he goes in (and they admitted their insistence is to cover themselves in case anything in the future happened... "if he has trouble 20 years from now, you could sue us" - yes, that's what she said).

My sister had this done and, after a couple of times, her dentist went back to a normal cleaning. So, it's not necessarily a scam but it may be in your case. If you liked your other dentist, go back and find a nice place for lunch to make the trip to Ocala worthwhile.
IMO Deep cleaning is money maker, bottom line if you got bone lost deep cleaning not going to fix it or make it better, we can debate whether it helps more than regular cleaning? Most new dentists want to do the deep cleaning for the extra cash revenue. Anybody that would go through that torcher more that once is gluten for long lasting pain, especially ever 4 months! Let's face it at our age we are lucky to have teeth due to our dental hygiene for decades. I've been to three villages dentist all three were out to drain my bank account. There good one down in fruitland park also. Which may be easier and closer than Ocala depending one where you live?

Old 12-21-2017, 10:27 PM
Veteran member

a money maker.

Tags
deep, cleaning, dentist, ocala, scam

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.