Deep Cleaning, always a scam?

Closed Thread
Old 12-11-2017, 09:07 AM
Sage

Read post #13.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellincf View Post
I have my teeth cleaned every three months and have an excellent dentist...I spend about $4 k on my teeth annually. I've never heard of "root scaling" OR deep cleaning, even when I smoked. I'd double check if I were you. Google it.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:31 AM
Default Dental scam

I got so fed up with dentists in central Fl years ago I started making the trips to UF school of Dentistry and got on their program. They almost wouldn`t work with me because I didn`t have enough work needed! This after three area dentists tried telling me I needed $7000. to $9000 worth of dental work! I was told there by one of them at one point that the dentists in Central Fl. tend to want to "rebuild" rather that repair down here. Not free up there but really priced low and they tell you the truth! They have students and faculty all over you and when you leave your not financially raped!
Old 12-11-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I went to Lake Sumter Dentistry yesterday for my free exam and x-rays.

I was told that I needed a deep cleaning and root scaling.

I was having work done at another dentist but got tired of driving an hour to Ocala so I thought I'd try someone new. My wife began going there and she likes them.

My dentist in Ocala never mentioned anything about deep cleaning. The dentist at LSD says that he can't tell if I have any cavities until the heavy stains are removed. That sounds absurd to me. My Ocala dentist was able to see minor decay from the x-rays.

I now that some people on here have recommended Lake Sumter, but I got really concerned when they mentioned "deep cleaning" which I've often heard is a scam.

I made an appointment for this deep cleaning, but I intend to cancel it.

Any opinions or suggestion would be appreciated.
I would get another opinion. When looking for a new dentist in The Villages, I was told the same thing by one dentist. All the work the dentist told me I needed would cost $5000.00 for my co-pay with dental insurance. It seemed strange to me because when I have my teeth cleaned, the hygienist always tells me that my mouth is the cleanest they have seen in a long time. I have had two different dentists since that time and found the only thing which needed to be done was the replacement of an ancient filling which had cracked. I have my teeth cleaned every six months, and that one dentist is the only one who has ever mentioned deep cleaning. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Old 12-11-2017, 10:34 AM
Default Deep cleaning

I was told up north that I needed it. I let it go for a few years due to other health issues. When I got here I found a dentist per a referral and they said the same thing and sent me to a periodontist. My gums no longer bleed and the swelling went down. It was unpleasant to say the least, but I am glad that I did it. I recommend Wadsworth Dentistry on 441
Old 12-11-2017, 11:45 AM
Gold member
Default That 59.00 special

Quote:
Originally Posted by corona_lolita@hotmail.com View Post
This seems to be a trend. Most people take better care of their teeth than in the past, so as a result less maintenance is needed. Deep cleaning is the answer to lack of maintenance. Just my opinion. I've been told I have perfect teeth. When my pockets were measured they were all 1's and 2's and an occasional 3. I went to a dentist near the villages for my '$59.00 cleaning and X-rays '. They told me they have to do deep cleaning and it would be over $400.00. I said to jus t do the regular cleaning that comes with the pkg. They said that if they did that it would be unethical to not do the deep cleaning. I said it is unethical to not to ANY cleaning. I left the place and now go to Aspen Dental on 466. They dont force any procedures.
Sadly many dentists in this area offer such MARKETING SCHEMES. In other BUSINESSES it is called a LOSS LEADER. They get you in to SELL you something.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:51 AM

Hi,

I'm a dental hygienist and although I haven't worked in the field for 20 years, I believe I can answer your question.
#1: - Cavities aren't always picked up with x-rays; many are but not all.
#2: The main reason for a deep scaling and root planing is because of periodontal disease. We have a greater chance of losing our teeth due to periodontal issues than cavities in our age range. Contrary to what another person said, not every cleaning is "deep scaling" because not everyone needs it. Dentists and hygienists use probes to determine the need.
#3: Heavy stains are extrinsic and not removed by deep scaling (which is below the gumline) or root planing. They're generally removed with instruments, ultrasonic scalers, and polishing with prophy paste that contains pumice.

Hope that helps a little. I don't know which dentist you were seeing in Ocala, but I can highly recommend Stephen Dunn.

Best wishes.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:12 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
I've been going to Village Dental since we got here, about 4 years. They done a ton of work on my teeth... no deep cleaning/scaling though.

But I have to say my teeth are in the best shape they have been in, in 30 years. I haven't had an issue with them that made me have call for an appointment... just regularly scheduled cleaning and checkups.

My dentist from before we came here was very good but he was very low key and would never push anything and I just ignored things, like occasional aches and gum bleeding now and then.

He'd always ask if I had any issues, of course, but I just say something like "No, not really", just to put things off... until a tooth broke or a filling fell out and then I'd end up needing a root canal and a crown. So maybe I was a bit to blame for the teeth issues I had over the years.

I think Village Dental is doing a great job on my teeth and I would not switch to another dentist.
I use Village Dental--Dr. Farrell. I love them. He hasn't recommended deep cleaning or scaling, but I take pretty good care of the choppers.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:30 PM

My husband and I heard the same BS
I was even told they did a deep cleaning while doing my normal cleaning and because I’ve had it done beforehand I knew the difference. I was also charged $100 incorrectly. I don’t like the way they conducted business. After 3 Calls I was told they would refund my money however they never once called me to settle this dispute. Not good business
Old 12-11-2017, 01:57 PM
Default Go back to your old dentist.

Hi

I travel 500 miles twice a year just to see my dentist. I do not trust my teeth with anyone down here.

I am no dentist. But I would think if you can't see it with an x-Ray I would not have someone start drilling.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:35 PM

Baylee Dental (Dr. Cayia | CEREC(R) | Summerfield Dentists | Baylee Dental | Emergencie Dental Service | Florida) is great. Dr. Cayia is very professional. No upsell. No pressure. Highly recommended.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:27 PM
Sage

FWIW - I am not qualified to say whether a deep cleaning is necessary for every person. One of my disappointments was going to several dental places covered by my insurance and asked for a regular cleaning. They took x-rays and said I needed a deep cleaning. Some of them said I needed teeth pulled and two bridges made whereas my present bridge has been working well for over thirty five years. One place wanted to charge me $2,000, (my part), of a $3,000 bill. The other one wanted $8,000. I never bothered to find what I would be liable for.

I had occasion to go back north and saw my regular dentist and he said it wasn't necessary. I think you need to decide for yourself if, a possibly unnecessary procedure needs to be perform for a lot of bucks.

I listened to "mikeod" and went to Forrest Jenkins. A dentist who confirmed I didn't need a deep cleaning. He isn't in my plan so I have to pay but I don't have to listen to other dental practices who tell me I need thousands of dollars of work, that is needed. I go twice a year for a regular cleaning and the $136 per visit he charges, is well worth it!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-11-2017, 07:17 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

An aunt and uncle retired to Winterhaven, FL from Towson, MD back around 1970. From then until they passed away 30 years or so later they kept returning to Baltimore for all of their dental and medical because they could not find decent providers in Central Florida.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-11-2017, 07:54 PM

Dr Thomas Kim, his office is on the way to Leesburg on 441, very modern, has the right stuff and tells you exactly whats going on and explains it well.. Highly recommend
Old 12-12-2017, 07:48 PM

You must like pain too. This process is about your gums not cavities. But it hurst your gums and teeth. I am sorry I ever had it done. It’s a scam. It does not help preserve your teeth and it’s painful once the novacane wears off. I would never do it again!
Old 12-12-2017, 11:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

When you change dentists most will put you on there program. Stay far away from the ones money making programs. IMO once you lose bone and have deep pockets nothing going to regrow bone. I been to three dentists down here in three years. All but one are money gouging. I had the deep cleaning, all it did for me was hurt like MF, my teeth have been cleaned every 6 months for 40 years. Never had gum problem and pain till the deep cleaning. I even had one dentists that said looked good when she measured my pockets, then the hygienist took it on her self to dig into my teeth root bone trying to convince the dentist she was wrong, basically I got infection. I ran from that dental clinic even though I like the dentist, but she needed to fire the hygienist. Finely found guy that's not wanting to go to vegas every 6 months at my expense. I was about to give up and travel back to my old dentist, but finely found somebody that's wants return in his clientele.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 12-13-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
deep, cleaning, dentist, ocala, scam

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.