Delta Impact on Herd Immunity

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2021, 04:27 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Unfortunately since social media became popular because of the World Wide Web (internet) and 24 hour cable became what many watch, much false information regarding just about any subject you can name has emerged. Real investigated facts and real news has almost become a thing of the past. People are gullible and you find them following charismatic media personalities who spin information to feed their own pocketbooks with thousands/millions of dollars. Conspiracy theories are the state of the art with a new one every few days. For example, as science finds more about the coronavirus and makes changes to react to the new findings, we are told that we were lied to and not to listen to the science who got it all wrong in the first place. Selfish politicians (of both parties) haven’t helped the situation either. Instead of what can I do for my country it’s what can I do for me. That said, I am confident that in the long run science will prevail and we will get back to business as usual in this great country we call the United States of America.
People just became more gullible and believe what they feel convenient with. It’s quite sad the older on gets they are more set in their beliefs even if they might be proven wrong facts mean nothing.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape Artist View Post
So maybe we shouldn't obsess about variants because there's bound to be a lot more. Just offer a booster shot every year for the original COVID which does offer some protection against the variants. If indeed a booster is even need as they need to find out the level and strength of antibodies of those vaccinated. The clinical trials were last summer so they must be testing those individuals or you'd hope so. I haven't heard any reports yet on their findings.
The shots don't help prevent the spread, if the majority of the population refuse to get them. But our tax dollars, and health insurance premiums, DO pay for those who refuse to get the shots and end up sick and unable to pay the bill.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
I hope you don't mind, I am stealing your post and spreading it. SO many focus on now and me, and ignore the ripples of their actions.
You may not steal it! But you may use it!
Old 08-03-2021, 05:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,242 Posts

The war has changed...

https://context-cdn.washingtonpost.c...f75165.#page=1

Summary
▪ Delta is different from previous strains – Highly contagious
– Likely more severe
– Breakthrough infections may be as transmissible as unvaccinated cases
▪ Vaccines prevent >90% of severe disease, but may be less effective at preventing
infection or transmission
– Therefore, more breakthrough and more community spread despite
vaccination
▪ NPIs are essential to prevent continued spread with current vaccine coverage
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	5A40FA5D-0792-422B-A061-B5866F36D622.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	90319  
Old 08-03-2021, 07:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Delta just dramatically pushed the herd immunity threshold higher.
And immunized individuals can still be carriers.
IMO Only thing that’s going to stop this virus is when the virus plays itself out. It never should of made the jump to humans. Humans caused this.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:28 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,295 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The shots don't help prevent the spread, if the majority of the population refuse to get them. But our tax dollars, and health insurance premiums, DO pay for those who refuse to get the shots and end up sick and unable to pay the bill.
Our health tax dollars also pay for those who overeat and don’t exercise. They pay for those who smoke. Did you know that smoking accounts for roughly 480,000 deaths per year - every year…
Old 08-03-2021, 09:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Well, the "majority" of the population HAS been vaccinated (not including children, for which the vaccine has not yet been approved), so there's that...

As of 08/02/2021 - 58.4% have received at least 1 shot, 50.2 have received both shots...

-Tom Petty
Old 08-03-2021, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
IMO Only thing that’s going to stop this virus is when the virus plays itself out. It never should of made the jump to humans. Humans caused this.
Disagree and agree.

Disagree. This virus will never play itself out. It's going to act like the flu and the common cold. Different strains will evolve making vaccines and natural immunities less than 100% effective. I think the current concern about the deadliness is way overrated but the good news is the mutations will become less deadly over time.

Agree. Humans did cause this. Chinese humans. I still don't understand why our country as a whole is not in agreement and totally pi**ed off at the CCP. You can point to Trump, Fauci, conservative media, liberal media, blue states, red states, pro maskers, anti maskers or whatever. The fact of the matter is, the CCP allowed dangerous gain of function research in a substandard lab that led to the virus escaping. THAT is where the blame lies. It's time we stop pointing fingers at each other and collectively start going after the true culprit.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:08 AM

Segregation of vaccinated and non-vaccinated may be forthcoming.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:11 AM

Who cares where it came from. It is here now so as one smart man "Grumpy"just said we have the tools now. Get vaccinated. Real simple
Old 08-04-2021, 06:07 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Your post seems reasonable and I agree. I said to my husband that I never thought that we would see such a time, EVER.
Yep. I agree its right on point but Im sure some naysayers will pipe in
Old 08-04-2021, 06:36 AM

Quote:
It might, and NASA and others are taking steps to prevent that. But at this point, we don't really have a working solution.

However, we DO have a working solution for COVID. Well, we did until so many refused to use it, and now we have a new mutant and so, we may be back - for a while - to not having a solution to that either.

Here's a crazy idea - why don't we focus on doing what we can, and not worry about what we can't.
We have a solution for covid but it has been kept from us...HCQ & Ivermectin. Many doctors attest to this. Look us Front Line Doctors, Natural News and so much more if you would just look.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:44 AM

Quote:
It might, and NASA and others are taking steps to prevent that. But at this point, we don't really have a working solution.

However, we DO have a working solution for COVID. Well, we did until so many refused to use it, and now we have a new mutant and so, we may be back - for a while - to not having a solution to that either.

Here's a crazy idea - why don't we focus on doing what we can, and not worry about what we can't.
“And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.” – Revelation 13:17

“Vaccination is a barbarous practice and one of the most fatal of all the delusions current in our time. Conscientious objectors to vaccination should stand alone, if need be, against a whole world, in defense of their conviction.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Old 08-04-2021, 06:55 AM
Veteran member

Originally I would have thought it was an accidental release of a virus, now with the variety is happening Delta v and lambda I tend to think it was a military research lab but again that's only my opinion. Às a science fiction reader, I certainly now believe that we're going to have masks for the rest of our lives as this is going to become much more of a situation than just a common cold coming out of China every year and I think this will be one more nail in the coffin of expenses that the US budget has to incur. On a positive note I am pretty sure that we have excellent pharmacological research companies in the US and elsewhere
Old 08-04-2021, 07:01 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Delta just dramatically pushed the herd immunity threshold higher.

And immunized individuals can still be carriers.
Just to cheer you up, take note of the Lambda variant, for which the vaccine seems not to work or not to work as well. I read yesterday in Newsweek online that it’s the dominant form in Peru, and there are about a thousand cases in the US so far. Don’t throw away those masks and gloves or that hand sanitizer. What if new variants keep popping up and shutting us down for the next century? What if a new variant also has a much higher death rate?
Closed Thread

Tags
delta, herd, immunity, individuals, immunized

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.