Dental Bone Graft

Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2018, 08:01 PM
Gold member
Default Dental Bone Graft

Dr German Gaitan has recommended a bone graft and implant for my wife. Any experiences you could share about this procedure and this Doctor would be appreciated.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:38 PM

Don't know this Dr. but I've had a few bone grafts and implants. This is all done over a period of several months. First, the bone graft can take several weeks months to heal and grow. Then they implant the metal post. (It's actually screwed into the bone). That has to heal for 3-6 wks. Then the make a crown to glue onto the post. I had no trouble with any of the healing and the implants are great. Have no trouble with them. They are VERY expensive however. Even with insurance you will pay at least a few thousand.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:50 PM
Platinum member

Can’t help with Dr. Gaitan but I had the bovine bone graft in NC a few years ago and an implant several months later. The “story”was I needed the graft to make bone to screw the implant pin into. A painless procedure (except to the pocketbook)!
Old 07-31-2018, 08:53 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper1 View Post
Dr German Gaitan has recommended a bone graft and implant for my wife. Any experiences you could share about this procedure and this Doctor would be appreciated.
He has done implants on my wife and they did fine. He has done a full mouth restoration on me which included two one piece bridges. I previously hated and avoided my dental care and I ended up first coming to him for an emergency. He demonstrated to me he cares for his patients, is very detailed oriented in his work and patients comfort. He is the only dentist in the office and he does stay busy so you may have a wait. I now go for all my cleanings and exams.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:39 AM
Sage

NOT with this particular dr. but I have several oral implants which required bone grafts and it's not big deal. It sounds pretty daunting but it's not. My implants were done over several years time starting in the mid-90's. By now I'm sure many changes have happened in this field. Good luck with your procedure!
Old 08-01-2018, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
He has done implants on my wife and they did fine. He has done a full mouth restoration on me which included two one piece bridges. I previously hated and avoided my dental care and I ended up first coming to him for an emergency. He demonstrated to me he cares for his patients, is very detailed oriented in his work and patients comfort. He is the only dentist in the office and he does stay busy so you may have a wait. I now go for all my cleanings and exams.
Is he located in The Villages?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyquat View Post
Can’t help with Dr. Gaitan but I had the bovine bone graft in NC a few years ago and an implant several months later. The “story”was I needed the graft to make bone to screw the implant pin into. A painless procedure (except to the pocketbook)!
It's probably not a story. With ageing, people can lose bone around their teeth. Often there won't be enough bone left to hold an implant securely. I have one implant. I do remember there was a question as to whether I had enough bone. I think ultimately I did, but I would have trusted my dentist to tell me if I needed it. You don't want the implant to be insecure.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
It's probably not a story. With ageing, people can lose bone around their teeth. Often there won't be enough bone left to hold an implant securely. I have one implant. I do remember there was a question as to whether I had enough bone. I think ultimately I did, but I would have trusted my dentist to tell me if I needed it. You don't want the implant to be insecure.
First of all, the bone graft is not a painless procedure. I had one and there is considerable pain as the new bone grows in.

Secondly, bone loss is often attributed to missing teeth. I had two crowns and a bridge in between. There is plenty of bone where the crowns were, but there was a lot of bone loss where the bridge was.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
First of all, the bone graft is not a painless procedure. I had one and there is considerable pain as the new bone grows in.

Secondly, bone loss is often attributed to missing teeth. I had two crowns and a bridge in between. There is plenty of bone where the crowns were, but there was a lot of bone loss where the bridge was.
One of the causes of bone loss is gum disease. It's not just missing teeth.
Bone Loss and its Treatment | Pasadena Periodontics & Dental Implants
Old 08-01-2018, 05:40 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

If cost is a concern this procedure is roughly 1/2 the cost when performed in Costa Rica. Yes overseas is scary. Honestly the place I went to was across from the Marriott, next to the mall. The office was nicer than any I have been in the U.S.

For comparison, crowns are 350, fillings 75, and so on. Flights under 700.00
Old 08-01-2018, 07:02 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Is he located in The Villages?
Yes he is. Royal Dental. Office is right near Mulberry rec center.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:39 AM
Gold member

My experience with dental implants and bone grafting has been great. I've never had any pain from a bone graft and I've had five of them. In fact my fifth was due to a failed implant, which required a bone graft prior to resetting the failed implant. I went to the dentist just an hour ago, where he removed a membrane he had inserted a month ago to protect the graft. Just a little bit of Novocain and I had no pain whatsoever. In my experience a bone graft is much less painful than a filling or extraction.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:03 PM
Gold member

Thank you for sharing your opinions and experiences with us. Wife much more comfortable going into procedure.
Closed Thread

Tags
graft, bone, share, doctor, appreciated

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.