Dental Implants

Closed Thread
Old 06-20-2022, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlogan22@tampabay.rr.com View Post
I just lost my 5th tooth today and not a penny from the tooth fairy. I had chemo for stage 4 non Hodgkins lymphoma four years ago. Grateful to be alive, but chemo did havoc on my body. My question is who is a good dentist and or periodontist that does implants? I just moved here from Tampa last month and that is too far to keep going back and forth. I currently have 2 implants in the making and now I need another one. I considered dentures, but have heard that the eventual bone loss where the teeth are will make my jaw shrink. With the cost of implants I'm going to have to come out of retirement. HELP!!!
Hi. Sorry for the situation you have found yourself in. I had stage 3 c, having chemo 5 days a weel 6-7 hours a day (in two chest ports) for 3 weeks on one off. This went on for three months. Like you, my teeth started to fall out due to bone loss, dry mouth, etc etc.. I was going to the dentist weekly to try and save the teeth. I wasn't even 40. My dentist and Oncologist finally discussed it and told me to save my money and concentrate on beating the c. By the time I was 55 I was in bad shape. The price of individual implants was astronomical. I ended up getting 10 implants to which I had all of the teeth attached. Six implants up top, four on the bottom. The implants are large and the teeth can be screwed in or change the insert(?) and you can snap them. If you go the implant route you could expect to have cadaver bone packed around the implants to strengthen the implant. The entire process took 8 months (25K to 30K). You can do same day where they knock you out and when you wake up you have teeth. That was quoted to me at 2x the 25-30K. Good Luck and all the best.
Old 06-20-2022, 12:08 PM

Dr. Agrawal Prime Dentistry. 466. Best.
Old 06-20-2022, 06:33 PM

Did you have radiation treatment too? If so you need to check with your radiologist about ORN (osteoradionecropathy) if you have that radiation effect you cannot drill into your bone. Just please be careful.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyseguy View Post
Hi. Sorry for the situation you have found yourself in. I had stage 3 c, having chemo 5 days a weel 6-7 hours a day (in two chest ports) for 3 weeks on one off. This went on for three months. Like you, my teeth started to fall out due to bone loss, dry mouth, etc etc.. I was going to the dentist weekly to try and save the teeth. I wasn't even 40. My dentist and Oncologist finally discussed it and told me to save my money and concentrate on beating the c. By the time I was 55 I was in bad shape. The price of individual implants was astronomical. I ended up getting 10 implants to which I had all of the teeth attached. Six implants up top, four on the bottom. The implants are large and the teeth can be screwed in or change the insert(?) and you can snap them. If you go the implant route you could expect to have cadaver bone packed around the implants to strengthen the implant. The entire process took 8 months (25K to 30K). You can do same day where they knock you out and when you wake up you have teeth. That was quoted to me at 2x the 25-30K. Good Luck and all the best.
I can't imagine the pain.. I think I would just get dentures.

I wish they would make more natural dentures or implants. They are always so perfect, big, and straight. My real teeth have always been a little crooked (despite braces), and the front teeth are not the exact same length. They should intentionally make replacements with a slight imperfection so they aren't obviously fake.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
We have had extensive dental work done by Dr Caylor's partner Dr Jaffal and very pleased with him.

I am sure it costs more but for some things just have to pay the price.
I just had 4 implants put in by Dr Jaffal and was very pleased with his work although it’s not over yet. His surgical staff were all very nice.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage327 View Post
I just had 4 implants put in by Dr Jaffal and was very pleased with his work although it’s not over yet. His surgical staff were all very nice.
You will see him quite a few times before he releases you to go have permanent teeth put in.
Old 08-29-2022, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catesmarilyn View Post
Sumter landing made a mess of my dental work…is going to cost me a lot to fix their implants. Will never go back there.
I had two implants done there by Dr. Patel. They fell out within four years. Now I am told my jaw line is too narrow for implants by them. Looking for another dentist that takes Medicare.
Old 08-29-2022, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanibel7 View Post
I had two implants done there by Dr. Patel. They fell out within four years. Now I am told my jaw line is too narrow for implants by them. Looking for another dentist that takes Medicare.
I do not believe dentists can take regular medicare. Can get some help with a medicare advantage plan but very limited.

Implants are considered cosmetic for some reason and therefore we had to pay the full cost of our implants
Old 08-29-2022, 10:31 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

You can get discounts at dentalplans.com. Not insurance but a discount pay at time of service. You can look up the dentist and the cost at the website
Old 08-29-2022, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanibel7 View Post
you MIGHT need bone grafts placed in your jaw, then that heals for some time, & the place the implant. i'm sorry, but will have to forget retirement for awhile if you choose that route. it's very expensive, & i dont think medicare would pay for it
Old 08-29-2022, 11:00 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlogan22@tampabay.rr.com View Post
I just lost my 5th tooth today and not a penny from the tooth fairy. I had chemo for stage 4 non Hodgkins lymphoma four years ago. Grateful to be alive, but chemo did havoc on my body. My question is who is a good dentist and or periodontist that does implants? I just moved here from Tampa last month and that is too far to keep going back and forth. I currently have 2 implants in the making and now I need another one. I considered dentures, but have heard that the eventual bone loss where the teeth are will make my jaw shrink. With the cost of implants I'm going to have to come out of retirement. HELP!!!
I honestly wonder if the whole (your jaw will shrink making you look like a haggard witch if you do not get implants is some nonsense started by the implant dentists. If so, it works. Like you I fought cancer. I had massive amounts of chemo (compassionate use) which screwed up my teeth. At the time I paid $$$ for root canals, everyone of which has failed. I finally went and had the implants done, 6 on top four on the bottom. They snap is. It has been a year and I still am not totally comfortable, but I do not have to hide my mouth from shame. The quote to me was 31,000.00 in Sarasota. I paid 24,000.00. If I went to a local school (lecom) it would have been 11k. Looking back that may have been the best choice. I had some issues that needed to be redone. The way I got the price down was by paying cash and going by their schedule. Sometimes a procedure that would take one visit ended up taking 2; things like that.
It is ridiculously expensive. I am in my 50's and did not want to wait for medicare (does medicare even cover such things?) Best to you. Signed a fellow survivor.
Old 08-29-2022, 11:03 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
you MIGHT need bone grafts placed in your jaw, then that heals for some time, & the place the implant. i'm sorry, but will have to forget retirement for awhile if you choose that route. it's very expensive, & i dont think medicare would pay for it
The whole procedure took me over a year. The longest time was for rebuilding my jaw and using cadaver bone around the implants.
Old 08-30-2022, 11:43 AM
Default dental implants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djean1981 View Post
I can't imagine the pain.. I think I would just get dentures.

I wish they would make more natural dentures or implants. They are always so perfect, big, and straight. My real teeth have always been a little crooked (despite braces), and the front teeth are not the exact same length. They should intentionally make replacements with a slight imperfection so they aren't obviously fake.
They can.... you just have to be willing to do the research and pay the price. I have recommended a local prosthodontist many times on these sites, but I never see anyone else recommend him. Dr Jose Davila, just outside TV is a retired professor from UF and decided to open a small practice here in TV when he moved here. Dr Davila is a perfectionist and has his own lab, does almost all of his own work. Does not use "run of the mill straight teeth". Explained that to me at first visit. No one believes I have a denture. The teeth are not square and a couple of the top front are a little "crooked", exactly as my original teeth were. Other dentists who have seen this denture marvel at the "work of art". It has been an amazing experience. I'm so glad I found him.
Old 08-30-2022, 12:38 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
Could someone explain to me why Medicare takes care of every inch of our bodies, except teeth. It seems tooth problems can lead to heart problems, so it would be in Medicare's best interest to cover teeth. Yes, I know you can buy dental insurance, but it doesn't cover the huge expenses one faces in their 70s.

Perhaps Medicare can’t convince dentists to perform dental implants for $5.00 each.
Closed Thread

Tags
implants, chemo, tooth, considered, making

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.