Dr Blood Test Procedures

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Default Dr Blood Test Procedures

My current Internist requires a Blood Test (at his office) one week prior to each of my three time per year appointments. I am most annoyed that each visit is charged separately and in my case requires a separate $25 co-pay. At my next visit I intend to protest this policy and demand that I be charged only for a single visit. A possible solution would be to charge for the blood test and call me with the results after the Dr. has reviewed them. I would then be amenable to scheduling an office visit if the results indicated a problem that requires treatment. The current double pay situation seems to be a money gouging scheme to improve the bottom line.

Interested in other opinions and would also like to know about Internists in the area who don't utilize this double dipping scheme.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:44 AM

Just use a different lab. I use the hospital lab from a totally different hospital. They fax the results. There is no conflicts of interest. My endocrinologist has never been upset about my choice to do this. At least this you can be reassured that you are not being scammed.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

i agree with using a separate lab - i get a script to take to the lab my insurance approves - get the blood test done - and go to see the dr re the results a week or so later.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I agree with you. I would suggest that the test be done at the same time you meet with the doctor. Then if something has to be changed due to the test he contacts you.

(I am assuming that he is not changing something on each visit due to the results of the tests.)
Old 02-11-2011, 12:55 PM

My MD sends blood to an outside lab. He draws it at his office a week before my appointment (at no charge for this service - only lab fees) so he has the result prior to my visit. He will also give me a script if I choose to get it done at the lab. I agree the process you described does not seem fair if you are getting charged a co-pay for drawing the blood.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:00 PM

The $25 copay for blood draws does not seem right to me...copay should be for office visit to see a doctor for a consult...not a tech to draw blood. Perhaps they have erred in their billing practice. I would inquire if this is normal policy....anyone else pay copay for blood draw?
Old 02-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Sage

My Dr. will give be a prescription for a blood test to be taken about a week before my next apointment in 6 months. I use a lab and the insurance always pays, I've never had to pay anything. That way when you go for your appointment the Dr. has the results right there to discuss with you.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Founder

If this is the doctor I think it is, it's absolutely gouging. It would be the same doc who charged me $80 for a flu shot without telling me that he charges 200% more than others. His new building has to be paid for, you know.

Jlk
Old 02-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Veteran member

I think I would call your insurance company and ask if it was proper to charge an office visit copay just to have blood drawn. I don't think it is.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.