Dentist help

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2019, 09:06 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts
Default Dentist help

Broke a tooth. No pain other than sharp edges that hurt my tongue.

Called around and found 2 doctors that would see me. Dr. Hall at Village Dental and Dr. Robert Donnie Lesh.

My Virginia dentist said I just need it filed down until I return in May.

Any suggestions? Anyone use these doctors?

Thank you
Old 02-22-2019, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

If you just want it filed down, Village Dental is not the place to go. They will want to reconstruct your entire mouth. I use Dr. Lunsford in Leesburg.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 02-22-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:16 AM
Veteran member

I've been going to Village Dental since I moved here 6 years ago. My teeth are now in the best shape they have ever been in. I got a lot of work done by Dr. Hards that, now that I know the results, I've should have done starting 20 years ago instead of just putting it off.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:45 AM

We've used Dr. Lesh since coming to The Villages 8 years ago. My husband had broken a tooth just before having knee replacement. Went to Dr. Lesh and explained his situation. Dr. Lesh was happy to just file down the sharp edges of the tooth and told him that as long as he kept it clean, he would be good to go until his knee surgeon cleared him for dental work. We are very happy with Dr. Lesh. He has never pushed unnecessary work on us. I have a wonky wisdom tooth that came in from the side. Several other dentists in various parts of the country where we have lived all tried to force me to have it removed. Dr. Lesh looked at it and said that yeah, it would be easier to clean my teeth with it gone, but if I brushed diligently, he saw no reason not to leave well enough alone as long as it didn't bother me. My vote would be to go to Dr. Lesh at Southern Trace Dental.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:09 PM

You can try Dr Kim on 27/441. 352-728-1100. My husband and I have been going to him since we arrived in 2008.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:27 PM
Gold member

Strip of 2000 grit wet/dry should take care of it...
Old 02-23-2019, 11:57 AM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Dentists

[QUOTE=Bay Kid;1626937]Broke a tooth. No pain other than sharp edges that hurt my tongue.

Called around and found 2 doctors that would see me. Dr. Hall at Village Dental and Dr. Robert Donnie Lesh.

My Virginia dentist said I just need it filed down until I return in May.

Any suggestions? Anyone use these doctors?

Suggestions:
1. Take charge, you tell the dentist what to do
2. You make the decisions, do not let the technicians tell you what you need.
3. Only suggestions, based on we found here locally.

Be firm and be prepared to go to a different Dentist, or Doctor or Chiropractor etc. etc.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Whoever you go to, ask about the possibility of having it filed down and protected with a temporary crown. If it's a molar, you'll -definitely- want that crown. If it's a front tooth, you'll have to deal with sensitivity if it's not protected, but filed. It also depends on how badly it was chipped and whether or not there are hairline cracks leading from the chip toward the dentin and pulp beneath the surface of the enamel.

I also recommend that you do NOT take the attitude of "tell the dentist what to do" unless you are more qualified than the dentist in the art of dentistry. On the other hand, don't just sit there and let him/her do whatever, without taking a pro-active stance on your own dental health. If you don't understand a term, or a diagnosis, ASK for an explanation. Ask them to show you the x-ray and for them to explain what EXACTLY they're seeing/interpreting, when they tell you what's going on and why they recommend whatever they're recommending.

Remember also, that teeth are not "necessary" from a strictly medical standpoint. People can eat and live fine without teeth. Having a bad tooth that is allowed to fester, however, CAN become a medical problem when it degrades into infection and starts affecting the tissue and bone of your jaw.

Preserving the tooth is always better than replacing it, if you have a choice. And by preserving, that can mean a root canal and crown, as opposed to replacing with a denture or implant.

You are ultimately responsible for the final decisions about your dental health, but you can't make those decisions without someone who actually knows about dentistry. That would preferably be an actual dentist (though some dental techs, if you find the right ones, often know as much about dentistry as the dentists themselves). The decision-making process should be part of a relationship between dentist and patient, not an adversarial relationship of a patient vs. a dentist. If you find yourself confused, or without answers, or with conflicting information, it's your duty to ask questions until you have the answers. They might not be the answers you were hoping for, but I'd rather hear the truth about my health, than a falsehood - even if the falsehood will save me lots of money.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up Unfortunate

I had an unfortunate experience with one of the 2 Dentists mentioned in one of the feed backs to the OP note. It was also regarding a broken tooth. It was not a nice experience and I decided I had to go to a different Dentist. Dr.Shorr at Palm Ridge Dental was recommened and I went to him. He was beyond terrific both as a Dentist and a person. I would STRONGLY recommend him and his Assistant. He has retired and works a couple days a week and you will be absolutely happy at the choice and decision. After a terrible problem from the first Dentist with a very sore area and advised the only answer was $10,000+ I went to Dr Schorr and it was about $500 total no further issues or pain and and feeling great months later.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:28 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
I had an unfortunate experience with one of the 2 Dentists mentioned in one of the feed backs to the OP note. It was also regarding a broken tooth. It was not a nice experience and I decided I had to go to a different Dentist. Dr.Shorr at Palm Ridge Dental was recommened and I went to him. He was beyond terrific both as a Dentist and a person. I would STRONGLY recommend him and his Assistant. He has retired and works a couple days a week and you will be absolutely happy at the choice and decision. After a terrible problem from the first Dentist with a very sore area and advised the only answer was $10,000+ I went to Dr Schorr and it was about $500 total no further issues or pain and and feeling great months later.
If you don't mind, which doctor? Hall?
Old 02-25-2019, 08:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up Intentional

I left the bad experience Dentist name out intentionaly as I wanted to highlight the real good Dentist and not give the one
that totally disappointed me any further publicity.. The good Dentist (Dr. Shorr, Palm Ridge Dental and his Assistant deserve all the attention because of how good they are.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:05 AM
Veteran member

Palm Ridge Dental is an excellent, well-run practice, including the front office staff and assistants. No high pressure sales. But they are a bit more expensive.

I see Dr. Jaber, but all three dentists are extremely competent and kind.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:17 AM

Dr Agrawal at Prime Dentistry is also good, my crown came off and I went there for re-cementation and was able to get it done the same day.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up More on Palm Ridge Dentistry

Also broke a tooth again today and went directly to Palm Ridge Dental and was taken immediately and solutions determined.
Dr Shorr was not there but his assistant (Eddie) is excellant and he and Dr. Williams took care of my problem Can't say enough about Palm Ridge but pass on the Assistant (Eddie) is great and really knowledgeable and as far as I am concerned as good as any Dentist I have gone to. He works with Dr. Shorr who is beyond good. He rates Great
Old 04-23-2019, 05:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
Strip of 2000 grit wet/dry should take care of it...

I was a machinist and have several diamond embeded files that I have used many times to remove sharp edges after cleaning in alcohol.

Tags
doctors, dentist, virginia, donnie, lesh

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.