Dentist-Royal Dental

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Default Dentist-Royal Dental

First of all, I am NOT a negative person and give people and businesses the benefit of the doubt first and foremost. I am just so tired of being raped by the medical and dental industry. So this a a rant!

Just back from the dentist. Had a bothersome toothache, nothing really painful. After waiting 1 1/2 hours to see him and I had called to make sure he was on time before I went, he said I have an infection in one of my root canals that was done about 15 to 20 years ago. It is also crowned. He wanted to schedule me for another root canal and who knows what will happen to the crown and I insisted on antibiotics first. Then they couldn't even call in the prescription because they had no phone book and they had no prescription pad so I had to go to the pharmacy and call them with the number. Do you think I need to find a new dentist? Don't bother trying Royal Dental, they had way too many patients scheduled at the same time(four). I was not worked in either, I made this appointment over two weeks ago. Pure Greed. I have had it with being controlled by doctors and dentists around The Villages. That is the biggest downside to living in a retirement community. OK, I ranted, Thanks for letting me get it off my chest.

I'm the type of woman that when I get up in the morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up"!
Old 04-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Veteran member

I feel your pain (not literally) and agree that you have a right to rant!
There have been several recommendations on TOTV for good dentists. Give one of them a try and let us know how you make out.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Sage

Sorry to hear about that experience. I, too, had some tooth pain. It was so bad I couldn't eat anything that required any chewing at all. A neighbor suggested calling Dr. Jerkins in Fruitland Park. I was sure I needed a root canal/crown. His office staff got me in as soon as possible and he took an X-ray and told me I had a sinus infection that was causing inflammation. He started me on antibiotics and the pain was gone.

I was impressed by the atmosphere at his office, very helpful, pleasant and showed genuine concern for my problem. I have had them do some other work that I knew I needed and am very pleased with their care.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAV0108 View Post
First of all, I am NOT a negative person and give people and businesses the benefit of the doubt first and foremost. I am just so tired of being raped by the medical and dental industry. So this a a rant!

Just back from the dentist. Had a bothersome toothache, nothing really painful. After waiting 1 1/2 hours to see him and I had called to make sure he was on time before I went, he said I have an infection in one of my root canals that was done about 15 to 20 years ago. It is also crowned. He wanted to schedule me for another root canal and who knows what will happen to the crown and I insisted on antibiotics first. Then they couldn't even call in the prescription because they had no phone book and they had no prescription pad so I had to go to the pharmacy and call them with the number. Do you think I need to find a new dentist? Don't bother trying Royal Dental, they had way too many patients scheduled at the same time(four). I was not worked in either, I made this appointment over two weeks ago. Pure Greed. I have had it with being controlled by doctors and dentists around The Villages. That is the biggest downside to living in a retirement community. OK, I ranted, Thanks for letting me get it off my chest.
Ahhhh! This brought back my own "rant" of 2/1/11 when I posted the following reply to someone else who asked about this office:

"My husband and I went to Royal Dental recently and left very unsatisfied. We chose this office due to it being on the list of providers on our new insurance. Dr. Gaitan was out of the office so we saw his associate, Dr. Fisher (Fischer??). He was very nice and he did a quick exam. The hygienist was another story. I can't recall her name but she is an older woman, rough around the edges, and very rough in our mouths. My gums were extremely sore for a week following the cleaning. This is the first time in my life where a cleaning did not include some scaling. I am not sure if our insurance only pays for an "economy" cleaning or if she just didn't want to bother to do it. Most of the pain we experienced came from her brutal use of the saliva "vacuum" (I don't know the proper word for this tool). It was a large, plastic tube that she kept pressed tightly against our gums....OUCH! We both spoke to her several times about the fact that she was hurting us but she didn't seem to care and justified all of our complaints with defensive remarks. We will be looking for another dentist and an office where compassion and gentleness is practiced."
Old 04-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Veteran member

I see Dr. Adam Still in Laural Manor. He's very professional and I was completely satisfied with his care. He varified some issues my dentist up north had given me. His hygentist Karen, is very caring and thorough. She uses some type of numbing "something" so my mouth wasn't sore after the cleaning. I'd heard horror stories of people's experiences with cleanings but she way-layed my fears. I have alot of issues and she told me how I might do personal care at home and for this I was grateful.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:03 AM

Thanks everyone, I will definitely check into your recommendations. I start my antibiotics today so hopefully they will take care of the issue. One other question though for those who might know, how can a dentist give a person a root canal that has already been done on the tooth in question? Do roots grow back?

I'm the type of woman that when I get up in the morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up"!
Old 04-29-2011, 09:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAV0108 View Post
Thanks everyone, I will definitely check into your recommendations. I start my antibiotics today so hopefully they will take care of the issue. One other question though for those who might know, how can a dentist give a person a root canal that has already been done on the tooth in question? Do roots grow back?
In my experience...root canals cannot be re-done. I have had teeth abcess though (decay) and have had to have them pulled. That was "up north". I'd say...try a new dentist and don't go back to this clinic. You're doing good researching on this site as others can give good counsel!!! Good luck!
Old 04-29-2011, 03:07 PM

Normally if a root canal has been performed then it extraction time...make sure you go and see another dentist.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Gold member

I worked in the dental field for years. I have root canals on my two front teeth that were done back in 1970's. I did have to see and endodontist a few years back to have work done on one of those old root canals. It was better than losing my tooth and having to go with implant or bridge. My crown was still intact. Just find a good reliable dentist. Many recommendations from people around The Villages. Instead of General Dentist maybe an Endodontist for second opinion. IMHO

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 04-30-2011, 04:07 PM
Gold member

I'm not a dentist, but a root canal is the removal of the nerve and soft tissue from the inside of the tooth and roots. If the dentist is not thorough, the tooth can get infected. Once it is done, the only thing the dentist can do is to go back in and re-clean the canals and give you medication. If that does not work, it has to be removed.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:26 PM

Antibiotics cannot effectively cure infections inside of teeth. If a tooth is infected antibiotics can be given in preparation for a root canal to decrease the amount of bacteria in the area and minimize spread during drilling. Root canals, in some cases, can be re-done. Endodontists are dentists that specialize in root canals. Cheap dentistry costs a lot more than good dentistry.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.