Diabetes

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts
Default Diabetes

Info discovered in Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes is worth starting a new thread....Anyone out there that is on insulin should take note....Study groups in this book, out of group of 197 men enrolled in a 3 week diet change and exercise program out of the University of California, 140 were able to discontinue their medications....That is significant!!!....There is NO food worth a life of shooting insulin...I mentioned in another thread that Dr. Barnard started investigating a NO fat diet because he noticed that Japan had a 1-5% diabetic rate prior to 1980 compared to US which is close to 50%....What is even more remarkable, when Japanese diet became Westernized diabetes exploded by 1990 and went up to 11-12% rate. How many of you Type 2 diabetics are on the verge of going on insulin? Please get this book, or you are welcome to borrow mine...Just pm me....Anyone out there that has been on a fat-free diet is also enjoying a drop in blood pressure..
Old 03-12-2011, 02:19 PM
Sage
Default bump

bump
Old 03-12-2011, 04:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany
Default No More Diabetes for Me!

Watch Dr. Barnard on this short video -- excerpts from a show he did on PBS:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pcs6MSdG2W0[/ame]

If you are really interested, watch the next three videos which go into more detail:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kJRX9-cb6o[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1H5vjxmt6Y&NR=1[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRY7YiSuchA&NR=1[/ame]

Old 03-12-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Info discovered in Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes is worth starting a new thread....Anyone out there that is on insulin should take note....Study groups in this book, out of group of 197 men enrolled in a 3 week diet change and exercise program out of the University of California, 140 were able to discontinue their medications....That is significant!!!....There is NO food worth a life of shooting insulin...I mentioned in another thread that Dr. Barnard started investigating a NO fat diet because he noticed that Japan had a 1-5% diabetic rate prior to 1980 compared to US which is close to 50%....What is even more remarkable, when Japanese diet became Westernized diabetes exploded by 1990 and went up to 11-12% rate. How many of you Type 2 diabetics are on the verge of going on insulin? Please get this book, or you are welcome to borrow mine...Just pm me....Anyone out there that has been on a fat-free diet is also enjoying a drop in blood pressure..
jebartle,
I am a type 2, not on Insulin yet but Dr mentioned I should consider it to bring my BSugars under better control but my problem is insulin resistance and already have plenty of insulin in my blood stream.....cells just not using it or the sugar.

Dr Barnard's book sounds interesting have a question.....besides the science of how a Vegan diet can reverse diabetes.....does the book give you nuts and bolts practical ways/recipes to incorporate this way of eating?
Old 03-12-2011, 04:57 PM

K9-lovers,
Great videos, after watching them I realized I had seen some of Dr Barnard's presentations on PBS.......Dr Cousins I had not heard or seen before 80% raw vegan I don't think I would find satisfying........hot foods and soups are comfort foods.
Thanks for posting, the diabetic patients sure made some drastic improvements on the diets.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Novie 2,

Mr. K9 and I like our food cooked, too! To find good recipes and ideas, I searched online. The following sites were especially helpful, but you can always just google something like "favorite vegan recipe" and lots of good stuff comes up. Also, in the book, The China Study, as I recall there are some recipes and menu plans. We also ordered some really good cookbooks but I haven't unpacked them yet!!

www.veggieboards.com
www.vegweb.com
www.everydaydish.tv/
www.vegandad.blogspot.com
www.chooseveg.com
www.veganwolf.com
Old 03-13-2011, 05:13 AM
Sage
Default In the book

he does give recipes and help...He might even give some of these recipes online...

Quote:
Originally Posted by novie2 View Post
jebartle,
I am a type 2, not on Insulin yet but Dr mentioned I should consider it to bring my BSugars under better control but my problem is insulin resistance and already have plenty of insulin in my blood stream.....cells just not using it or the sugar.

Dr Barnard's book sounds interesting have a question.....besides the science of how a Vegan diet can reverse diabetes.....does the book give you nuts and bolts practical ways/recipes to incorporate this way of eating?
Old 03-13-2011, 08:55 AM
Sage
Default Medical recommendation

IowaP the medics diet is the one you mentioned....We contacted the local Diabetes support group and invariably most if not all eventually go on insulin when on that diet....Obviously we are new to this vegan diet, and will report back to this forum on our result after 3 weeks....After reading the good result that K9lover and others have had on this vegan diet, we have great hope that the medication that my husband is taking will be a thing of the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaParkersburg View Post
A major contributer to diabetes is food sources that are high in sugar and have ZERO nutrient value:

White Flower products: Bread, pasta

Refined sugar

White Rice

Products stripped of there nutrition are done for the extension of shelf life of the product, but then deliver nothing of value to the body. You then convert these product quickly into glucose and stored fat.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:42 PM

K9-lovers,
thank you for the links, I will take a look at some of those recipes.

Jebartle,
I think I will order the book and check it out......and look forward to seeing what results your husband has after 3 weeks on the diet.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

very interesting,

I've eliminated all white junk and sugars, as best I can, last May.
My A1C went from 6.8 to 5.9 - recheck next week
Old 03-15-2011, 11:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Good Job JohnN!! Now eliminate yellow stuff: , bananas, anything corn: syrup (high fructose or not), popcorn, kernel corn, etc.

Go Green!
Old 03-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

k9, affirmative, I used to love LOVE bananas (great for blood pressure, the potassium) but.. a ton of sugar.. so no yellow stuff either.. no popcorn

I chew on wasa crackers LOL.. and have learned to love beans
Old 03-18-2011, 05:38 AM
Sage
Default Love those beans

Not sure everyone loves me....One of the many reasons I walk when playing golf..giggle, giggle, snort, snort or maybe I should say "toot, toot"!

Update on progress after avoiding fats and sugars, the "ole boy" is off medication and last few checks were between 100 and 110...

Will keep you posted on next weeks readings also.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:46 AM
Sage

Diet and increased continuous exercise results with diabetes (type II) can be seen by watching the Biggest Loser. Many of the contestants had developed Type II and were able to control their diabetes to the point that they only had to keep vigilant.

Don't see how this would work in Type I where no insulin is being produced. But good diet and exercise is good advice for anyone!
Old 03-18-2011, 08:34 AM
Sage

I am for anything that would bring diabetes under control.

I may not fully understand what is meant by saying "reversing", but I interpret the term as meant to bring it under control to the point where some people will not need medication.

I have been advised to not think in terms of a "diet", but a lifestyle change. The word "diet" seems to connote that one is depriving oneself of eating certain foods. As we all know, diets don't work over the long haul.

I am in control since being diagnosed four years ago with a A1C level that I try to keep at 6.0, (presently at 6.2). Diagnosed at A1C of 7.1.

Eating healthy foods in moderation and exercise has helped me and I am extremely grateful that I am able to control this insidious disease. I am always consious of what I eat and look at certain foods as poison to my system.

I realize every person condition is different and everyone has to do what their doctor advises.

Best wishes to all as this is a difficult thing to deal with.

I hope everyone that has tried what is suggested to post their results.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.